One of your "top 10" raverecs discovery albums? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : One of your "top 10" raverecs discovery albums?

newtrix1
07-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Lets hear about a favorite album which you can directly tie to discovering here at Rave Rec's. You know, something that's become a staple listen in your collection that you probably wouldn't have discovered in the 'outside' world.

Today, my nomination is; <b>The Geraldine Fibbers</b> "Lost Somewhere Between the Earth & My Home". If memory serves me, I think Davey first exposed "A Song About Walls" on his Decade of Alt Country comp. I picked up the album based on the strength of that track, but the whole album kicks a$$ and has become a personal favorite. This is too good an album to let slip thru the cracks of time without and occasional 'shout-out'.

Not sure how to categorize the music; sometimes raw punk, sometimes twangy country, lots of distorted guitar, and an occasional backdrop of strings (violin, viola). Many of the songs are structured in such a way that one second the lead singer, Carla Bozulich, is crooning sweet melodies that could sooth a savage beast, then next second she <i>is</i> the savage beast screaming angst ridden lyrics like some alley cat. A very unique album which I'm glad to have in my collection!

So what do you have?

Dusty Chalk
07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Sigur Rós, definitely. Their second album, Ageatis Byrjun is simply sublime, and my introduction to the band.

Duds
07-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Porcupine Tree and Katatonia

Lets hear about a favorite album which you can directly tie to discovering here at Rave Rec's. You know, something that's become a staple listen in your collection that you probably wouldn't have discovered in the 'outside' world.

Today, my nomination is; <b>The Geraldine Fibbers</b> "Lost Somewhere Between the Earth & My Home". If memory serves me, I think Davey first exposed "A Song About Walls" on his Decade of Alt Country comp. I picked up the album based on the strength of that track, but the whole album kicks a$$ and has become a personal favorite. This is too good an album to let slip thru the cracks of time without and occasional 'shout-out'.

Not sure how to categorize the music; sometimes raw punk, sometimes twangy country, lots of distorted guitar, and an occasional backdrop of strings (violin, viola). Many of the songs are structured in such a way that one second the lead singer, Carla Bozulich, is crooning sweet melodies that could sooth a savage beast, then next second she <i>is</i> the savage beast screaming angst ridden lyrics like some alley cat. A very unique album which I'm glad to have in my collection!

So what do you have?

dean_martin
07-15-2005, 11:28 AM

I would have to put Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism at the top. I was either asleep or wasn't paying attention when this came out in '03, but I found references to it here and there on this board. I picked up a nicely done double vinyl copy that I put on at some point during every listening session of late. It's great for when I'm sampling different artists because I can get a quick fix with any side and move on.

Don't want to go too far beyond the scope of this thread but I'm looking forward to picking up Roland Orzabal's Tomcats Screaming Outside which Troy listed on the most recent Tues./ What are you listening to lately thread. I've been denying my 80's music roots for too long!

looked up the Orzabal reference.

ForeverAutumn
07-15-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't think that I can pick just one. If you're gonna force me into it, it would be The Shins, Chutes Too Narrow. Swishy sent me an evaluation copy, which I fell in love with and quickly replaced with a real copy. That disk still gets played at least once a week. And I even dragged Hubby to go and see them live, where we were (by far) the oldest people there. I was sooooo tempted to tell all the people around me that I was the singer's Mom. :D

Honourable mentions (in no particular order) go to:
Anything by Porcupine Tree
Anything by Dream Theater
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlantism
The Honeydogs - 10,000 Years.

Mr MidFi
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Lots of great discoveries from here, and I'm grateful for all of them. But if I had to select just one, it would have to be Ancient Melodies of the Future by Built to Spill. Just a great, great disc all the way through.

Honorable mentions to PT (like everybody else), and to Neon Golden from The Notwist.

Davey
07-15-2005, 01:34 PM
There's a ton of them, no doubt. But one that i'm always grateful for is David Kilgour & The Heavy Eights that chrisnz turned me on to. Already knew the Clean from my American perspective, which means not very well since I only had a short comp of early stuff and their nice mid-90s reunion, which I like a lot. Knew nothing of Dave's excellent solo work in the 90s, though. Now I have 4 or 5 albums and love them all. Some days I do a DK marathon and never get tired of the stuff. Guitars reverberating in my head for days after. Beautifully played and comforting jangle drone pop with oftentimes evocative lyrics. What REM could have been if they took themselves a little less seriously ;)

Swish
07-15-2005, 02:32 PM
from Beulah. Or maybe Chutes too Narrow from the Shins, or maybe Transatlanticism by DCFC, or maybe Castaways and Cutouts from the Decemberists, or maybe Summer in Abaddan by Pinback, or maybe...ok, you get the idea. There are too many to narrow it to 10. I could prolly go thru my ceedee racks and find at least 30 or 40 that would be up there. The bunch I mentioned are still fresh and I've been around here for about 5 years or so, so the list runs deep.

Swish

DarrenH
07-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Demetrio has been my biggest influence to the world of prog. Alright, lots of folks hate prog, and that's cool, but man oh man was that ever exciting music to my ears four years ago. Opened up a whole new can of worms that I never knew existed. Bands from the 70's, 80's and 90's, you name it, that man was on top of the prog world. My music collection has grown ten fold because of him.

I've since branched out into other genres (jazz for one) and have gotten lots of good music recs from other members here but, by and large, Demetrio has been my biggest influence.

Darren

Slosh
07-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Gotta be Emergency & I. After buying and liking Change I kept seeing Rae and Stone and dbi (who :confused: ) saying E&I was even better and for once they were right! :D

Simply one of the best albums ever made, by anyone, at any time (kinda like Face The Truth :) )

Javier
07-15-2005, 04:34 PM
CD's i have bougth from recs on this forums just from the top of my head.
Dead can dance ( all the catalog)
Sigour ross
Flower kings
Spocks beard
Anthony phillips.
Opeth.

Swish
07-17-2005, 07:56 AM
from Beulah. Or maybe Chutes too Narrow from the Shins, or maybe Transatlanticism by DCFC, or maybe Castaways and Cutouts from the Decemberists, or maybe Summer in Abaddan by Pinback, or maybe...ok, you get the idea. There are too many to narrow it to 10. I could prolly go thru my ceedee racks and find at least 30 or 40 that would be up there. The bunch I mentioned are still fresh and I've been around here for about 5 years or so, so the list runs deep.

Swish

from Super Furry Animals? The double ceedee is remarkable, and when Slosh mentioned they made a DVD out of it, I ordered it ASAP and it's prolly my favorite music-related DVD. It's great to watch after catching a buzz with it's bizarre themes and graphics, not to mention the outstanding music and the 5.1 mix. My HT just loves this sucker.

Adios amigos. Headed to Beantown tonight.

Swish

Stone
07-17-2005, 09:28 AM
IIRC, cc and dbi were primarily to blame (with some help from Swish and others) for my Luna purchases, starting with this one:

http://www.dcn.ne.jp/~planets/luna2.jpg

Swish
07-17-2005, 01:54 PM
IIRC, cc and dbi were primarily to blame (with some help from Swish and others) for my Luna purchases, starting with this one:

http://www.dcn.ne.jp/~planets/luna2.jpg

but we still have their music to remember them by. I still love Pup Tent, but Bewitched is outstanding, and Days of Our Nights is pretty good too. I wonder what Dean will do next?

Swish

Mike
07-17-2005, 11:49 PM
But right now I'll pick The Notwist - Neon Golden. Would I have heard about them other than on this board - not a chance.

But why stop at one, what about albums from Mojave 3, Wheat, Joe Henry, Opeth, The Glands, Twilight Singers, Death Cab For Cutie, Beulah, Pinback, Whiskeytown, American Analog Set, Red House Painters, I could go on but you get the picture, all latched onto courtesy of folks on this board.

Cheers
Mike

jasn
07-18-2005, 04:41 AM
A nod of gratitude for this one:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg100/g112/g11299p1e9h.jpg

Who wants to take credit for boosting it?

Mike
07-18-2005, 05:17 AM
A nod of gratitude for this one:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg100/g112/g11299p1e9h.jpg

Who wants to take credit for boosting it?

I'll take some but I wasn't the first by any means. The Redhouse Painters/Mark Kozelek link led me there.

Cheers
Mike

3-LockBox
07-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Porcupine Tree:<i>Lightbulb Sun</i>, but picking one release from this band is tough.

Spock's Beard:<i>Kindness Of Strangers</i> is a prog masterpiece.

Pain Of Salvation's <i>Remedy Lane</i>. I have not tired of this one in almost a year.

Roine Stolt's <i>The Flower King</i> was a blue print for the band, but this first solo album by Stolt has never been equaled by its namesake IMO. Great disc.

Built To Spill:<i>Ancient Melodies From The Future</i> is quite frankly my favorite 'indie' rec from this board. It's pure pop splender.

HotHotHeat:<i>Make Up The Breakdown</i> was a blast for me. So much so, I bought their latest(?) release this last weekend (more on that later).

Of course, not every favorite rec is of a new or modern release.

I would have to say that I would never have heard an entire King Crimson album, much less own one, without the generosity of the RR members. But I now own several; purchases made after hearing snippets from RR comps. My favorite has to be <i>Red</i> from '74.

I listen to Captain Beyond's second album (<i>Sufficiently Breathless</i> from '73) all the time.

Kansas' <i>Masque</i> was an undiscovered gem from '75, mined right here at RR. I was already a big Kansas fan anyway, but I was in Heaven when I found that one.

I'm probably leaving a few out but still a significant list to me.

Ex Lion Tamer
07-18-2005, 09:22 AM
A partial list, in alphabetical order...

764-Hero
...and You Will Know Us by The Trail of Dead
Badly Drawn Boy
Bailter Space
Bedhead/The New Year
Belle & Sebastien
Beulah
Black Heart Procession
British Sea Power
Broken Social Scene
Built to Spill
Calexico
Chisel/Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
The Constantines
Dandy Warhols
Death Cab for Cutie
Decemberists
Doves
Eels
Eleventh Dream Day
The Flaming Stars
Galaxie 500/ Luna
The Glands
Godspeed You Balck Emperor
Gomez
Grandaddy
Idlewild
Interpol
Les Savy Fav
Low
Mercury Rev
Modest Mouse
Moonbabies
Neutral Milk Hotel
Notwist
Okkervil River
Papa M
Pavement
Pinback
Pulp
Shins
Silver Jews
Sleater-Kiney
Slint
Elliott Smith
Songs: Ohia
Sparklehorse
Spoon
Talk Talk
Tindersticks
Unwound
The White Stripes
The Wrens
Yo la Tengo

HUGE thanks to everyone who had a hand in my musical re-awakening

newtrix1
07-18-2005, 11:25 AM
A partial list, in alphabetical order...

might I recommend some Jay-Z? ;)

Davey
07-18-2005, 11:42 AM
You have no "J" titles...might I recommend some Jay-Z? ;)
Yeah Mark, what's up with that?

Hehehe, that's quite a list! I think maybe you're just a little too naive and gullible. A patsy for the latest rave of the week :)

Speaking of the missing 'J', have you ever listened to any Damien Jurado? That one from a couple years ago spent a lot of time at or around my best of the year. I did a nice writeup at the time in my best of 2003 list, but who knows when or if they'll ever get the search function working here again. Been broken for months. I think our hit and run girl from the north country began to see the light after realizing it wasn't gonna make her shoot herself - it is a bit on the depressing side (for some people ;)) - he's got some great songs spread over a few albums, but that may be the best overall. But he lives in that same wrecked world as the Electro-Shock Blues man from the Eels.

Dusty Chalk
07-18-2005, 09:49 PM
What about Jethro Tull to satisfy the complete-alphabet-ist contingent.

Or Junior Boys, if you want to satisfy the IHSPB* contingent.

Indie Hipster Snob Poseur Boy

MasterCylinder
07-19-2005, 05:02 AM
My top 5 come to mind very quickly........4 good; 1 bad.

1) Anything from Porcupine Tree

2) Anything from IQ

3) Anything from Ben Folds

4) FWX from Fates Warning

(and the bad one)

5) Afraid of Sunlight from Marrillion (just never could get into this !)

Dave_G
07-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Hard to say.

I think someone here got me into IQ and The Flower Kings (Troy, probably), way back when.

DarrenH has turned me onto some DT stuff.

I hope I have influenced some here to enjoy old school Kansas.

Yech tried to get me to dig the blues to no avail.

Talk to yall later.

Dave