What is your favorite acoustic guitar riff? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite acoustic guitar riff?

Mr Peabody
07-14-2005, 07:14 PM
This question came to mind as I was listening to mine the other day.

My favorite acoustic guitar riff is from Bob Seger's song Night Moves. If I learned to play guitar that would have to be the first song I learned. A not so distant second place is the guitar riff from ELO's song Fire On High.

It's funny how you don't think you are getting old until you mention some one like Bob Seger and people say, who? I mean Seger was huge when I was a kid. I wore the grooves off Night Moves, Live Bullet and Stranger In Town. I guess my parents made similar statements about whoever it was they had on their 45's or 8-tracks.

N. Abstentia
07-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. Is there any other???

:)

Dusty Chalk
07-14-2005, 08:11 PM
A couple:

Jimi Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower"
Led Zeppelin, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
ELO, "Fire on High"
Joe Walsh, "Life's Been Good"
Crack the Sky, "Nuclear Apathy" (the intro and outro part on the studio album, Safety in Numbers)

Duds
07-15-2005, 04:23 AM
Alice In Chains "Jar Of Flies" has some good riffs, tunes like "Rotten Apple", "Nutshell", and "No Excuses" come to mind.

What about some Neil Young stuff??

A couple:

Jimi Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower"
Led Zeppelin, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
ELO, "Fire on High"
Joe Walsh, "Life's Been Good"
Crack the Sky, "Nuclear Apathy" (the intro and outro part on the studio album, Safety in Numbers)

GMichael
07-15-2005, 05:10 AM
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. Is there any other???

:)

The end of comfortably numb.

JSE
07-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Comfortably Numb - very cool.

A little less know is Extreme's "Midnight Express". One of the coolest acoustical songs I have ever heard.

JSE

N. Abstentia
07-15-2005, 08:24 AM
I'll also add 'Legal Kill' by King's X. Beautiful song!

Troy
07-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Salamander- Jethro Tull
Hide Your Love Away- The Beatles
No Thugs in our House- XTC

GMichael
07-15-2005, 08:47 AM
By-Tor And The Snow Dog? The live version from All the World's a Stage.

GMichael
07-15-2005, 08:49 AM
By-Tor And The Snow Dog? The live version from All the World's a Stage.

Please ignore me. I completely missed the "acoustic" part of this post. I like Spanish fly from VH's second record/CD. Also a few from Yes. The names of which elude me for now.

Duds
07-15-2005, 09:02 AM
what a great, trippy tune

My favorite acoustic guitar riff is from Bob Seger's song Night Moves. If I learned to play guitar that would have to be the first song I learned. A not so distant second place is the guitar riff from ELO's song Fire On High.

It's funny how you don't think you are getting old until you mention some one like Bob Seger and people say, who? I mean Seger was huge when I was a kid. I wore the grooves off Night Moves, Live Bullet and Stranger In Town. I guess my parents made similar statements about whoever it was they had on their 45's or 8-tracks.

ForeverAutumn
07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Queensryche - Silent Lucidity.

-Jar-
07-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Metallica - "Fade to Black" intro.

Dusty Chalk
07-15-2005, 10:46 AM
What about some Neil Young stuff??Yeah! "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)" (I think that's the acoustic one, not to be confused with "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)"

-Jar-
07-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Violent Femmes - "Blister in the Sun"

if you're in your 30's, this is one of "our" songs...

-jar

Duds
07-15-2005, 11:12 AM
What about "Comes a Time" and "Sugar Mountain"

Yeah! "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)" (I think that's the acoustic one, not to be confused with "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)"

Slosh
07-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Two that jump right to mind are "Oh, Comely" - Neutral Milk Hotel because it's so personal and epic and intense and "New Slang" - The Shins just 'cause it's so damn catchy.

I could probably list 1,000 of these without much effort :)

Mr Peabody
07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Yeah, once you put your mind to it several do come to memory. I can't think of the name but what about the hit song from Days of The New, Pure Prairie League "Amy", Beatles "Norwegian Wood", or even Queens "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". The Everly Brothers "Wake Up Little Suzie". The acoustic part in the Who's "Pinball Wizard". These all could be on my list some where but definitely below the songs on my original post.

daigoro
07-15-2005, 08:55 PM
"Pinball Wizard'--The Who
'Hey You'--Pink Floyd
'Hotel California'--The Eagles
'Love on a Farmboy's Wages'--XTC
'Broon's Bane/The Trees'-Rush

Geoffcin
07-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Lindsey Buckingham "Big Love" on the Fleetwood Mac "The Dance" DVD.

Possibly one of the best "Rock" acoustic guitar performances ever recorded.

Geoffcin
07-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Alice In Chains "Jar Of Flies" has some good riffs, tunes like "Rotten Apple", "Nutshell", and "No Excuses" come to mind.

What about some Neil Young stuff??

Alice In Chains "Unplugged" is one of my favorite music DVDs. Great acoustic work on that recording.

Hyfi
07-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Michael Hedges
Craig Chaquico
Acoustic Alchemy
Lee Rittenour
Otmar Liebert

Swish
07-17-2005, 02:00 PM

easist acoustic songs that you will find. It's basically 3 chords, ok, maybe 4 or 5 if I remember correctly, but if you learn to play guitar, you could get this down in a few quick sessions since G, F, and C is a fairly easy progression. I think he throws in an E minor somewhere. If I had my guitar handy I could tell you for sure. Hey, some of my favorite songs are easy to play, so whatever you like.

Swish

Ex Lion Tamer
07-18-2005, 08:44 AM
easist acoustic songs that you will find. It's basically 3 chords, ok, maybe 4 or 5 if I remember correctly, but if you learn to play guitar, you could get this down in a few quick sessions since G, F, and C is a fairly easy progression. I think he throws in an E minor somewhere. If I had my guitar handy I could tell you for sure. Hey, some of my favorite songs are easy to play, so whatever you like.

Swish

I'm a sucker for acoustic guitar in rock. The first that comes to mind...

Buddy Holly "Well Allright!"

others...
The Smiths "Bigmouth Strikes Again"
The Cure "In Between Days"
The Jam "That's Entertainment"
Aztec Camera "Oblivious"
Radiohead "Fake Plastic Trees"
Tom Petty "Free Falling"

Led Zeppelin has a few too..."Ramble On" and "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" come easily to mind.

jasn
07-18-2005, 10:40 AM
I'd be lying if I didn't admit that "Hotel California" from "Hell Freezes Over" didn't come first to mind. It's stuck in my head now, so I'll have to go home and watch the DVD (again) tonight.