hate waiting for your dvd menus to come up? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hate waiting for your dvd menus to come up?

MomurdA
07-14-2005, 02:17 PM
I really dislike not being able to hit the menu button on my dvds when they first start. very annoying making me watch fbi warnings, sometimes even previews before the remote lets me do anything. Well, there are two programs out there where you can rip your dvds and reburn them without menus/extras/certain audio formats/subtitles. DVDShrink and DVDeCrypter. You can make it so you pop in your dvd and it just starts playing the movie with the DTS soundtrack automatically. Very cool. Very free.

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Hmmmmmmm......very interesting information.....I cannot STAND (and Universal has a way of doing this on all their new discs) when these commercials come on supporting the given DVD studio and these ridiculous trailers for the DVD company, and sometimes you cant skip over them --- well, you cant just press MENU on your remote ---- you have to actually fast forward through some of these advertisements on some DVDs, can you believe this? One of the most annoying ones is on the FAST AND THE FURIOUS DVD, where there is a motor oil commercial that comes on BEFORE the DVD menu starts, and you have to skip past this....

But that's cool that this product you mention lets a disc DEFAULT to the DTS track......VERY cool.......

Jim Clark
07-14-2005, 02:44 PM
I really dislike not being able to hit the menu button on my dvds when they first start. very annoying making me watch fbi warnings, sometimes even previews before the remote lets me do anything. Well, there are two programs out there where you can rip your dvds and reburn them without menus/extras/certain audio formats/subtitles. DVDShrink and DVDeCrypter. You can make it so you pop in your dvd and it just starts playing the movie with the DTS soundtrack automatically. Very cool. Very free.

I have some experience with both of those programs and the important thing to remember is that the final product is usually significantly compressed. When you jettison extra features you do free up space but results typically vary from DVD to DVD. For example, since most DVD's make use of both layers the programs cram everything into the one layer of a typical DVDR. Only way to accomplish this of course is with compression.

I think overall these products do a good job of what they do but with larger screens the video does suffer, at least in my opinion. Personally I'd prefer to have a bit for bit copy which other programs can do but of course you're back to waiting for menus to run their cycle.

jc

MomurdA
07-14-2005, 02:47 PM
YOu are right about them compressing the video. But, newer versions have been realease in the last 2 months and im not sure about this, but they may support dual layer disks. That way you could edit out all the needless stuff, and not have to compress anyting. Or perhaps by deleting all the soundtracks except your favorite, plus all the extras and stuff you can put it all on one layer, and keep your original dvd pristine for collectibles sake(tongue in cheek)