Amps for Magnepan ( Adcom Carver ) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amps for Magnepan ( Adcom Carver )

khtbone
07-14-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm looking for a stereo amp that will eventually power Magnepans (MMG, SMG). My budget is kinda tight, like most college students. I've been looking at some second hand amplifiers like Adcom "seriesII or newer" and Carver "tfm series". Just wondering if anyone had experience using these amps to power mags. If anyone has used these amps before in any situation would be helpful, as also any other amps in the same ball park.

$350 price range

P.S. I will love to get an amp right now for my current set up. My Hardon Kardon reciever works good, but doesn't have much juice, so my Jamo speakers don't sound their best.

P.S.S. I would use them for listening to classical music, but would also use them as front channels on my tv. My place is kinda small right now, but I will only be here for another year, then I'll be in a bigger house ( a.k.a. parents house) with plenty of room to get some mags. (Thanks for the wonderful music degree, which is about as useful as toilet paper. Will work for Mags.)

Soup Nazi

Florian
07-14-2005, 01:20 PM
For 350, comes only one thing in mind that that i used with my first .5 Maggies. The Cambridge Audio C500 and P500. Can be found used in that price range.

-Flo

N. Abstentia
07-14-2005, 03:39 PM
You can officially kick yourself for missing this one :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5788422068&category=39783&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

N. Abstentia
07-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Should't be a problem to find a good amp in that price range. I've been scouring for a good used 5 channel amp and I've seen all kinds of 2 channel amps from Parasound, Acurus, Adcom, Rotel, B&K and many more in that range. If you can find a B&K I'd jump on it :)

JoeE SP9
07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm looking for a stereo amp that will eventually power Magnepans (MMG, SMG). My budget is kinda tight, like most college students. I've been looking at some second hand amplifiers like Adcom "seriesII or newer" and Carver "tfm series". Just wondering if anyone had experience using these amps to power mags. If anyone has used these amps before in any situation would be helpful, as also any other amps in the same ball park.

$350 price range

P.S. I will love to get an amp right now for my current set up. My Hardon Kardon reciever works good, but doesn't have much juice, so my Jamo speakers don't sound their best.

P.S.S. I would use them for listening to classical music, but would also use them as front channels on my tv. My place is kinda small right now, but I will only be here for another year, then I'll be in a bigger house ( a.k.a. parents house) with plenty of room to get some mags. (Thanks for the wonderful music degree, which is about as useful as toilet paper. Will work for Mags.)

Soup Nazi

I use Adcom amps. One of my buddies uses an Adcom GFA-585 to drive a pair of MG-3R's. We are both quite satisfied. I know several others who use Adcom amps. They are just about bulletproof and will drive damn near any load (Apogees excepted). They also seem to last forever.

jt1stcav
07-24-2005, 08:28 AM
I've used a Carver M-400t and a TFM-35x with my Magnepan MGLR1 planars; both amps sounded fine and provided much power for the inefficient Maggies. Also used a fabulous McIntosh MC7200 power amp, which provided a cleaner, more detailed soundscape with my MGLR1s (although the Mac's Power Guard would flicker on ocassion during near-live levels, indicating the amp was reaching its power peak of 300 WPC at 4 ohm loads, as opposed to the TFM-35x at 350 WPC). Whatever amp you choose, if you play your music loud, purchase an amp that will provide more than enough peak power when it's needed.

Good luck. ;)