Well this is certainly different [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Well this is certainly different

Chip_B
11-15-2003, 08:04 PM
I guess I can get used to it.

I'm having a helluva time loading a pic to use with the profile. No matter what I try to attach, I get the same "too big" message. Could anyone provide any insights?

-Chip

jack70
11-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Are you talking about the avatars in the left pane under your name? If so, those are limited (I think) to a max of 80x80px &/or 20K in size.

I don't know the limit for img's in message's... they used to be a max of 200K I think...

Jim Clark
11-16-2003, 06:09 AM
I'm having a helluva time loading a pic to use with the profile. No matter what I try to attach, I get the same "too big" message. Could anyone provide any insights?

-Chip

Not sure exactly where you're having trouble. There are two options for graphics uploads. There is the Avatar which you see connected with your posts. There is also a place for your profile picture, which presumably would be a picture of yourself, although you certainly wouldn't be limited to that. I know when I first started I was using the Profile buttons to load an avatar-doubt you would be doing that but just be sure you're working with the right set of tools. Also important is that you click the radio button for "use custom avatar". They are on the same page. You also might need to check your settings on the options page to make sure that you are set up to use both.

Picture size is also important. An easy way to check on this is to run an image editing program to see what size the graphics file is. Here is a freeware program that will help you do just that:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Fast download-simple program. after install just open the graphics file you want, click on "Image"-resize/resample. The resulting dialog box will tell you the size of the file. If you find it's too large you can then change the size by typing the numbers you need into the box. In this case the file can be no bigger than 80x80. This program will even keep the aspect ratio the same so that the end product looks correct. The program also converts graphics files, which could be helpful.

Hopefully there is something here that will help out a little, good luck.

jc

Chip_B
11-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Appreciate the site link, Jim. The software allowed me to size the pic.

-Chip