Hooking a DVI HDCP non compliant to a compliant input [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hooking a DVI HDCP non compliant to a compliant input

zuil
07-14-2005, 02:28 AM
Hello. I have a Cambridge Audio DVD-79 wich has a Dvi-d output not compliant with HDCP, is there any kind of limitations by connecting this output to a DVI input in a projector (toshiba mt-200) wich is HDCP fully compliant?
What if try to hook the same player to a HDMI input throught a DVI-HDMI cable, will the projector be able to receive the hi defenition signal?
Someone said that the DVI output not being compiant with content protection is an advantage, is it true and why?
Thanks in advance
ZuiL

edtyct
07-14-2005, 04:42 AM
Zuil,

The handshake problem between DVI source and target occurs only if the source is HDCP-compliant. When the DVD player's DVI isn't compliant, it should be able to connect successfully to both compliant and noncompliant targets. The advantage is that a compliant DVD player would not be able to work with a noncompliant target. The same reasoning might apply with an HDMI adaptor, but I'm not certain, since HDMI presents a more complicated situation.

That said, however, successful connection is not a complete slam dunk. Some of the earlier noncompliant models sometimes wouldn't cooperate with their targets. The only way to find out for sure is to try. But chances are, you'll be okay.

Ed

zuil
07-15-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. As soon as i try the connection i will post the results.