Receiver or Amp + PreAmp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver or Amp + PreAmp

ryanpreusser
07-13-2005, 10:34 PM
hi, i have a set of JBL e 80 speakers being run by an onkyo tx-844 receiver... the receiver is breaking down on my and i need to by a new one... im wondering if getting an amp and preamp would really be worth the extra money as opposed to a new receiver...

does anyone hav any suggestions, my bugget is 500$ new or used does not matter to me as long as it sounds good:D

Glen B
07-13-2005, 10:41 PM
hi, i have a set of JBL e 80 speakers being run by an onkyo tx-844 receiver... the receiver is breaking down on my and i need to by a new one... im wondering if getting an amp and preamp would really be worth the extra money as opposed to a new receiver...

does anyone hav any suggestions, my bugget is 500$ new or used does not matter to me as long as it sounds good:D

A decent amp/preamp combo, even used, is going to cost way more than $500. Your best bet is an integrated amp or two-channel receiver. Following are just a few choices in your budget range. The Harman-Kardon HK-3380 receiver may be an especially good choice in that HK amps/receivers are known to have conservative power ratings.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MARAPM7200&product_name=PM7200%20Integrated%20Amplifier%20-%20Black

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cih9JJ6Ubjo/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10410&I=580TX8511

http://www.soundcity.com/productcats/750/30270

ryanpreusser
07-13-2005, 11:53 PM
i was looking at the onkyo previousely but dont know how great it will sound.... its a tie between the onkyo and HK 3380...what do u think will sound more warm and pleaseing to the ear with my current speakers?

Glen B
07-14-2005, 07:48 AM
i was looking at the onkyo previousely but dont know how great it will sound.... its a tie between the onkyo and HK 3380...what do u think will sound more warm and pleaseing to the ear with my current speakers?

I haven't heard either of the two products. Reviews here at AR and elsewhere show a number of complaints about both products. One common problem with the HK receiver seems to be a transformer hum and midrange suckout. You should visit a dealer, listen to receivers in your price range and see which you like.

ryanpreusser
07-14-2005, 08:38 AM
i will be sure to do that...wat brands offer good sound and reliabillity at a reasonable price?

poneal
07-14-2005, 08:43 AM
I recently purchased a HK3380 stereo receiver off the HK ebay store. It was Z-stock but came with the orgiinal factory warranty, manuals, antennas, batteries, etc. Looks brand new and you wouldn't even be able to tell it was Z-stock. I won the item for $135.00. I've noticed a few more going for just over $100.00. The HK3480 has been selling around $175.00 at the same HK ebay store. You can read my review on the 3380 under reviews. I am happy with it. Plenty of power for me and my bedroom. I didn't have the problem that some said in the other reviews about the smell and grommet thing. The remote sucks in that its not only toylike but also the writing color scheme is hard to read. Other than that, I'm happy. I really like the sleeper function. Hope that helps ya out. Regards, Paul.

topspeed
07-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Cambridge Audio 540a or 640a, NAD C320bee, or Rotel RA01 for integrateds ~$500.
Denon and Yammie should be considered as well. Like Glen said, try out as many as you can with your speakers and see which one creates the best synergy for you.

Hope this helps.

JohnMichael
07-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Cambridge Audio 540a or 640a, NAD C320bee, or Rotel RA01 for integrateds ~$500.
Denon and Yammie should be considered as well. Like Glen said, try out as many as you can with your speakers and see which one creates the best synergy for you.

Hope this helps.

I have to second topspeeds recomendation. I own both the Cambridge 640A and a Rotel RA970BX integrated amps and have been very pleased.

ryanpreusser
07-14-2005, 03:20 PM
with an integrated amp it acts as a reciver or do i need other components? and i like the Cambridge 640A does any second that?

Glen B
07-14-2005, 04:42 PM
with an integrated amp it acts as a reciver or do i need other components? and i like the Cambridge 640A does any second that?

An integrated amp lacks a tuner to receive FM/AM broadcasts, so you will need one.

ryanpreusser
07-14-2005, 07:57 PM
with this integrated amp can i later use the whole thing as a pre amp and buy a higher powered amp??

Glen B
07-15-2005, 01:14 AM
with this integrated amp can i later use the whole thing as a pre amp and buy a higher powered amp??

Only if the integrated amp (or receiver) has pre-outs, like the Cambridge 640A (pictured). An integrated amp is actually preamp and main amp sections in a single chassis. The pre-out jacks take the signal from a point that would be the output of the preamp section.

topspeed
07-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Naturally, I do. Excellent build quality (save for the infamous binding posts), quality remote, smooth and satisfying sound. Mine drives 4 ohms speakers all day and yet is barely warm to the touch by the end of the day. You can't ask for much more at this price point.

The only two points of contention lie with the aforementioned binding posts and if you get it in silver, the white markings are pretty well illegible. It's still far better looking than the NAD tho :D.

Hope this helps.

JohnMichael
07-15-2005, 08:33 AM

I will also second for the 640A. I feel like I got the bargain of the year.

ryanpreusser
07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
alright then the cambridge 640a it is.....thank you all for your help