DVI Question - Samsung HD950/Dell 2405FPW Monitor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVI Question - Samsung HD950/Dell 2405FPW Monitor

dmsaudio
07-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Hello,

I thought it would be easy - get the Dell 2405FPW monitor for my recording studio and add the Samsung HD950 DVD player and I could be watching potential the best quality video (in my spare time of course) that I could afford right now.

The Samsung has a HDMI connection, but comes with a HDMI to DVI cable. When I connect the HD950 to the 2405FPW via the DVI connection, power both devices up I get the Samsung welcome screen. But once I insert a DVD (any DVD for that matter) and the discs starts to boot, the screen flashes on/off a light shade of purple. This happens regaurdless of what resolution the HD950 is set to output.

Am I missing something with regards to an "HD" signal that maybe this monitor is not equipped to handle? I assummed (I know) that because it was a DVI connection, it should work fine.

Any insight would be helpful. So far tech support from both companies have been very little help. Thanks,

Dave

edtyct
07-14-2005, 05:05 AM
Dave,

The problem is that the Samsung is HDCP-compliant, and the Dell isn't. If it were the other way around, you'd stand a much better chance of getting a picture. Your options are to use the component output from the Samsung or to get a player with noncompliant DVI, like either generation of the Bravo units, which produce a great DVI picture but do little else particularly well. You'd have to try the Bravo to make sure that it works; compatibility with early DVI components was sometimes an issue.

Ed

dmsaudio
07-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I don't imagine there is any kind of a switcher or other device that would convert the DVI signal to HDCP free signal? Probably not as that would defeat the purpose of the copy protection.

With regards to the component connection...what is the highest resolution that this connection is capble of outputting?

And do you have an opion on component video switchers? How about the JVC JXS111 HD Compatible Component Video Switcher?

Thanks again,

Dave

edtyct
07-14-2005, 07:36 AM
No, you can't defeat the HDCP in the Samsung. Component is fully capable of displaying every HD format that we have now with great finesse. It's only liability is its lack of reliable copy protection and its need for D/A conversion with panels like yours, though the latter is certainly no gamebreaker. You can use component with complete confidence while the content providers and courts slug it out.

As long as the component switch is HD-compatible, you should be in good shape. I always liked Key Digital products, but other options are just as good.

Ed