Just your plain old review of The Thing From Another Planet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just your plain old review of The Thing From Another Planet

shokhead
07-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Its good. Two thumbs up. You'll enjoy it. A Classic Sci Fi. :p

dean_martin
07-13-2005, 06:06 PM

You mean this is not an "OFFICIAL DVD REVIEW"?

JSE
07-13-2005, 06:46 PM
Short........., but Thorough!

Wow, where have I heard that before. Oh yeah, my wife. :confused:

JSE - Shinerman (for shok)

shokhead
07-14-2005, 04:56 AM
LOL Havent we all.

Kam
07-14-2005, 05:59 AM
looked up some trivia on this one:

Christian Nyby was the original director of this, he would become a bigtime tv director (Bonanza, twilight zone, the streets of san fran, kojak) but Howard Hawkes became the guiding hand or the full on director (depending on which rumor) of the movie. James Arness (the thing) was interviewd and said Nyby directed the film under Hawkes' guidance.

And Ben Hecht (legendary hollywood screenwriter) and Faulkner (THE Faulkner) were friends of Hawkes and 'supposedly' contributed to the script.

and i agree, definitely two thumbs up, i did a compare/contrast of this one and the remake a while ago, am not sure if it's in the archives but can see if its stil lthere for some interesting discussions too.

:)

shokhead
07-14-2005, 06:06 AM
looked up some trivia on this one:

Christian Nyby was the original director of this, he would become a bigtime tv director (Bonanza, twilight zone, the streets of san fran, kojak) but Howard Hawkes became the guiding hand or the full on director (depending on which rumor) of the movie. James Arness (the thing) was interviewd and said Nyby directed the film under Hawkes' guidance.

And Ben Hecht (legendary hollywood screenwriter) and Faulkner (THE Faulkner) were friends of Hawkes and 'supposedly' contributed to the script.

and i agree, definitely two thumbs up, i did a compare/contrast of this one and the remake a while ago, am not sure if it's in the archives but can see if its stil lthere for some interesting discussions too.

:)

I'm a Kenneth Tobey and Dewey Martin fan. The Big Sky is another good Dewey Martin flick.

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 09:06 AM

Wow.....now THATS a review! Im impressed! You put some semi-sentences together here.....they were quick....but it was a nice attempt at sentence structure!

*Applauds*

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 09:08 AM
You mean this is not an "OFFICIAL DVD REVIEW"?

Wow, Dean.....and there I was thinking you enjoyed my DVD reviews, after the nice words you said about Return of the Living Dead....

I called Escape From L.A. an "official" review because we were doing so much talking about it in another thread, I decided to watch the disc and do a technical review on it, just FYI.....

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 09:14 AM
"Short........., but Thorough!

Wow, where have I heard that before......."

......it MAY have been the two Nickys or Tarheel that mentioned that, dont forget......the ummmm....short but thorough thing....I mean after all the nice things you beautiful boys are saying about each other over in the home theater forum.......:) *wink wink*

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-14-2005, 09:42 AM
"Short........., but Thorough!

Wow, where have I heard that before......."

......it MAY have been the two Nickys or Tarheel that mentioned that, dont forget......the ummmm....short but thorough thing....I mean after all the nice things you beautiful boys are saying about each other over in the home theater forum.......:) *wink wink*

Let's not drag mud from another forum to this one please. Thanks

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 09:52 AM
No problem, Terrence.....just be forewarned and made aware that Shokhead over there started this thread purposely based on my thread about the remake Thing review; I believe some non-mud-slinging comments should be tossed his way, as well....

Thank you for your assistance!

dean_martin
07-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Wow, Dean.....and there I was thinking you enjoyed my DVD reviews, after the nice words you said about Return of the Living Dead....

I called Escape From L.A. an "official" review because we were doing so much talking about it in another thread, I decided to watch the disc and do a technical review on it, just FYI.....

Sorry for the sarcasm, Lex. I had just finished reading your exchanges with RGA regarding Carpenter and it popped out. Sarcasm is contagious. Unfortunately, my little sarcastic remark lingered longer on the board than it did in my head.

Keep the reviews coming and BTW, as long as I have your attention, I know you don't really work on a request basis, but I'm curious about the Director's Cut/Special Edition of Donnie Darko that came out in '04. It's one of my favorites of recent years. I have the initial DVD release and I'm curious about this special edition which is supposed to have significant added content. Any word on this?

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 10:14 AM
"Sorry for the sarcasm, Lex. I had just finished reading your exchanges with RGA regarding Carpenter and it popped out. Sarcasm is contagious. Unfortunately, my little sarcastic remark lingered longer on the board than it did in my head. "

No problems; how well I know the sarcasm contagiousness of this particular board. Anything is possible to believe after reading his comments about my titling of DVD's as being "official" reviews; I do this for a particular reason when I put an "official" before it --- its not to stand on a high horse or anything LIKE that, its just to indicate that after discussing a certain film in another thread I may get the urge to review the disc "officially" and pass the info on to you good folks in here, thats all. Thank you for the apology.

"Keep the reviews coming and BTW, as long as I have your attention, I know you don't really work on a request basis, but I'm curious about the Director's Cut/Special Edition of Donnie Darko that came out in '04. It's one of my favorites of recent years. I have the initial DVD release and I'm curious about this special edition which is supposed to have significant added content. Any word on this?"

Hehehehe....well, I can work on request basis if you want me to! If its not something in my personal library, I will sure go out and rent it and review it for you, hows that? I am going to have to reach out to my contacts at the studio regarding the Donnie Darko Directors Cut, so let me do some research......you can always find good information on www.thedigitalbits.com; the guys are great on there with DVD info.

Thanks Dean!

shokhead
07-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Lex,Lex,Lex. Lets see,you've talked about my writing again,something you just cant let go of. You talked about your official dvd review. About beautiful boys and also about mud-slinging. Oh yes,and Donnie Darko director cut. No comment about The Thing From Another Planet? Please try to stay on track. Belive it or not,i would really like to have an official comment from you about the flick. Its most likly older then you,well heck its older then me to. Thats a nice change.

Kam
07-14-2005, 11:52 AM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=8461

and we all chimed in back then too, forgot we all discussed this with such civility. ahh we were so young... i remember it like it was last december....

and forgot i had to post my reviews of inlaws vs. inlaws and flight of the phoenix vs. flight of the phoenix. doh! hell now this idea is pretty much for any upcoming movie that isnt a comic book or sequel, it'll be a remake.

shokhead
07-14-2005, 11:57 AM
And i keep saying from another planet, my bad.

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 12:32 PM
LMFAO........dude, you crack me up.....do you HONESTLY want to compare your writing to MINE? Lets get some of these issues out of the way RIGHT now:

"You talked about your official dvd review."

Right, because DEAN MARTIN made a comment on it, so I answered it......what does the Escape From LA review HAVE TO DO with YOUR great, lengthy review on The Thing From Another World?

"About beautiful boys and also about mud-slinging."

Thats right; this was a message directed towards ADMINISTRATION and Terrence and some other members in here, NOT YOU. Like I asked you in the past, please give me some of whatever it is you are smoking over there because I KNOW it cannot be legal with these results........

"Oh yes,and Donnie Darko director cut."

IF YOU WERE READING THE THREAD, I WAS TALKING ABOUT THIS DVD BECAUSE DEAN MARTIN ASKED ME ABOUT IT.....what does this, again, have to do with YOU?

"No comment about The Thing From Another Planet? Please try to stay on track. Belive it or not,i would really like to have an official comment from you about the flick."

Funny how I can see right through what you are trying to do with you comment about "stay on track" like thats supposed to intimidate me or something; I was replying, once again, to other memebers' comments within YOUR OWN THREAD, if you re read them carefully....THE ONLY COMMENT THAT WAS GEARED TOWARDS YOU WAS THE COMMENT THAT I WAS IMPRESSED WITH YOUR REVIEW.....whats wrong with that? It really was a great review, though. Gave us everything we needed to know.

Want my comment about the flick? It sucked monkey balls compared to Carpenter's version. But thats only MY official comment about the film.......I dont think it had any style compared to the way Carpenter re-traced the roots of the short story "Who Goes There?" for MCA/Universal at the time.

JSE
07-14-2005, 12:36 PM
You talked about..... About beautiful boys and.......

I have to admit, I am beautiful. :D

JSE

shokhead
07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Please show me the quote where i asked about comparing our writing? You really have a thing about that. I got your answer,you didnt like the flick,cool.

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 12:45 PM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=8461

and we all chimed in back then too, forgot we all discussed this with such civility. ahh we were so young... i remember it like it was last december....

and forgot i had to post my reviews of inlaws vs. inlaws and flight of the phoenix vs. flight of the phoenix. doh! hell now this idea is pretty much for any upcoming movie that isnt a comic book or sequel, it'll be a remake.

I didnt even know there was a thread started about this, Kam; thanks.....my review was simply written to talk about the technical specs on Carpenter's version DVD from Universal after I took it off the shelf to watch some nights back......

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I have to admit, I am beautiful. :D

JSE

Oh, Im sure you are......*wink wink *

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Please show me the quote where i asked about comparing our writing? You really have a thing about that. I got your answer,you didnt like the flick,cool.

LOL......all I was saying was that I thought your review was well written and thorough.....why are you so mad about this? I even said it was a good attempt at putting sentences together, albeit short ones; what is so un-complementing about this?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Come on gang, let's all be civil please!!!! No personal attacks, debate is fine, but personal attacks are not. Let's take a breath, step back, and try this again. Thanks guys.

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Come on gang, let's all be civil please!!!! No personal attacks, debate is fine, but personal attacks are not. Let's take a breath, step back, and try this again. Thanks guys.

Taking a deep breath as I type Terrence............:)

Oh yes.....shhhhhh......shhhhhhhhh......keep this on the down low, Terrence......very quietly between you and me.....Shok was so desperate to throw up a counter-stance to my remake Thing review that he even got the name of the original film wrong! LOL!

Just between you and me, of course.....LMAO......shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

shokhead
07-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Calm down. Its all going to be alright. Your reading waaaaaaaaaay to much into me making a mistake on the name. Desperate to throw a counter-stance? Wow. You dont like the org. Thats ok. I'm not jumping off the deep end. I just thought i would try a review after reading yours. You did a professional and loooooooooong one and i did a short and sweet one. Do you think people are out to get you?

Lexmark3200
07-14-2005, 11:01 PM
"Calm down."

Well, good for you......I see you went back in and re-edited your misspelling of "calm"; you ORIGINALLY had "come down".....thats better......

"Its all going to be alright."

Is it, are you sure? LOL.

"Your reading waaaaaaaaaay to much into me making a mistake on the name. Desperate to throw a counter-stance? Wow."

Well, you threw that counter-review up pretty lightning quick when the end of my Carpenter remake review came to an end, and made it purposely short to compare it to mine.....and in the midst of all that, you didnt even get the TITLE of this film that you like so much correct! What am I reading into? LOL.

"I'm not jumping off the deep end."

God, I hope not ---- I still need people to read my reviews and give feedback --- even if they dont agree that they enjoy the film Im reviewing!

"I just thought i would try a review after reading yours."

Are you sure thats all it was? How did you like it? Was it challenging? Did it take much time to write, analyze, gather technical information on the disc and/or film stock and put it all into words?

"You did a professional and loooooooooong one and i did a short and sweet one. Do you think people are out to get you?"

Hmmmm....no......but now that you specified and focused on the fact that my review was "looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong"............................

.....eeeek, did I go too far again? :(