I just found out why i'm an audiophile/music lover. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I just found out why i'm an audiophile/music lover.

Kaboom
07-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I've always loved music and been into sound quality. i'm now 18 and since about 9 or 10 i've been toying with speakers, discmans, CD players and amps.
My first sound system consisted of two vintage SABA speakers i got from the attic (ironically 'nuff, the ones i'm using now...) and two very small amps (one per channel) ripped from a set of powered mini-speakers that my parents used back when they projected super-8 movies at home (i was only 9 and already bi-amping hehehehe).
So basically i grew up with a collection of extremely crappy low-fi systems till a couple of years ago i got me a mid-fi reciever+speakers set secondhand (isnt being able to manage your own money the greatest thing?) and finally yesterday i got myself the first pieces of "propper" audio equipment. As a couple of you already know, the cambridge audio 540 ensemble, which i am extremely happy with.
Well basically all this time i just loved music and pursued sound quality, but i didnt know exactly why, nor did i question it.
a couple of hours ago i was enjoying my new gear and i decided to slap on my japanese pressing of "the wall" (rega P3 turntable). Now this is an album that i seriously love, and ranks amongst my favorites, mainly because i find it so powerful. Well today i was listening to it with eyes close, really feeling it and getting into it, and halfway across the third side (in the middle of Vera, for those who know it that well) i noticed a tear running down my cheek and a knot in my stomach.
Now i know why i pursue sound quality, and why i like music. Because of what it makes me feel, how it has the ability to change my mood, make me ecstatic or sink me into depression. And the music has the power to do that through the sound, its details, all the little nuances.
So there u go. You can now feel free to fire homophobic comments my way :P, i understand this post is asking for it. But i just thought it'd be nice to post that here.
Cheers!

JohnMichael
07-13-2005, 10:23 AM
I've always loved music and been into sound quality. i'm now 18 and since about 9 or 10 i've been toying with speakers, discmans, CD players and amps.
My first sound system consisted of two vintage SABA speakers i got from the attic (ironically 'nuff, the ones i'm using now...) and two very small amps (one per channel) ripped from a set of powered mini-speakers that my parents used back when they projected super-8 movies at home (i was only 9 and already bi-amping hehehehe).
So basically i grew up with a collection of extremely crappy low-fi systems till a couple of years ago i got me a mid-fi reciever+speakers set secondhand (isnt being able to manage your own money the greatest thing?) and finally yesterday i got myself the first pieces of "propper" audio equipment. As a couple of you already know, the cambridge audio 540 ensemble, which i am extremely happy with.
Well basically all this time i just loved music and pursued sound quality, but i didnt know exactly why, nor did i question it.
a couple of hours ago i was enjoying my new gear and i decided to slap on my japanese pressing of "the wall" (rega P3 turntable). Now this is an album that i seriously love, and ranks amongst my favorites, mainly because i find it so powerful. Well today i was listening to it with eyes close, really feeling it and getting into it, and halfway across the third side (in the middle of Vera, for those who know it that well) i noticed a tear running down my cheek and a knot in my stomach.
Now i know why i pursue sound quality, and why i like music. Because of what it makes me feel, how it has the ability to change my mood, make me ecstatic or sink me into depression. And the music has the power to do that through the sound, its details, all the little nuances.
So there u go. You can now feel free to fire homophobic comments my way :P, i understand this post is asking for it. But i just thought it'd be nice to post that here.
Cheers!

I hope that is why we are all passionate about this hobby. Being moved by music. When I am down nothing helps like listening to some blues or torch songs and getting it out of my system. If I am angry or feeling aggressive the heavy metal comes out. If I am happy any music with a good beat to get me dancing. I understand where you are coming from.

Wireworm5
07-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but being an Audiophile as I have found out is not just about being a Music Lover. Just about anybody you ask will say they like music. But they don't spend thousands of dollars on a stereo. So there is something distinctly different that sets us apart from the masses. I challenge you to do as I've done, go through your entire music collection and play each and every song or better still play somebody elses music that they like and I guarantee you that you won't put up with music you don't like for very long, even if it sounds good audio wise.
Being an audiophile is more like the reasons you gave for liking 'The Wall', listening to songs you 'like', and hearing all the nuances and powerful bass, etc.. And don't confuse this with 'Gear Heads' who like to take speakers and amps apart and rebuild them, by definition they may not really be audiophiles, but technicians, if I can call em that.