Question about rear speaker placement and type? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about rear speaker placement and type?

acqui
01-04-2004, 08:27 AM
I live in NYC and split my time between my parents' home ( also building an HT system for them )and my apt. I'd like to put a little HT system in my apt however, the apt is such that I don't want to put the rear speakers against the wall in the rear because it's adjacent to the other apt's master bedroom. I was wondering if it's essential to position them behind the listener's ear and if so, how far behind? Can they be mounted to the side of the listener? The system consists of a Samsung 43 inch DLP tv, an HK 525 receiver and an Infinity Intermezzo 12 inch sub. I have a pair of Ohm Sound Cylinders that I am thinking of using as the surrounds and would like to perhaps get a pair of Infinity Kappa 200 bookshelfs with their center channel, however, a few people also suggested Paradigm Reference Studio 20's or 40's, B&W 705. I was wondering if those would be a better setup than the Kappas which I heard and enjoyed. I never heard the Paradigms or B7W's. Any suggestions on the placement and speaker would be greatly welcome. I also have an old set of Mission speakers but since I can't get a reply from them, they are out. Thanks

thepogue
01-04-2004, 09:09 AM
by the book the rears should be behing the listening positons as far as "how far" to be honest I'm not sure....but lets face it, in the real world how many have 5' of space behind their couch/living room chairs?...most are flush against the wall...so I'm have to say that a-many a HT user has their rear surrounds "side mounted". The ones I've heard sounded very good...from a side mounted potsition. A close frined of mine runs Paradigm Atoms in the rear (from the side) and for the price-point they sound very good. Second of all I'd go listen to as many speakers as possiable as the above brands that have been suggested to you and both good choices...but very different indeed! Good Luck!!

recoveryone
01-11-2004, 01:20 PM
I live in NYC and split my time between my parents' home ( also building an HT system for them )and my apt. I'd like to put a little HT system in my apt however, the apt is such that I don't want to put the rear speakers against the wall in the rear because it's adjacent to the other apt's master bedroom. I was wondering if it's essential to position them behind the listener's ear and if so, how far behind? Can they be mounted to the side of the listener? The system consists of a Samsung 43 inch DLP tv, an HK 525 receiver and an Infinity Intermezzo 12 inch sub. I have a pair of Ohm Sound Cylinders that I am thinking of using as the surrounds and would like to perhaps get a pair of Infinity Kappa 200 bookshelfs with their center channel, however, a few people also suggested Paradigm Reference Studio 20's or 40's, B&W 705. I was wondering if those would be a better setup than the Kappas which I heard and enjoyed. I never heard the Paradigms or B7W's. Any suggestions on the placement and speaker would be greatly welcome. I also have an old set of Mission speakers but since I can't get a reply from them, they are out. Thanks

I think you ask this question in the HT room, but anyhoo I would say don't be too concern about the rear wall placement due to the fact they don't carry the full sound of any soundtrack. I must have a rare setup myself cuz I have about10' of space from my couch to the rear speakers and the couch is 10' from the RPTV.

Geoffcin
01-11-2004, 05:31 PM

What you have to worry about most with an HT setup and neighbors is the sub. If there is anyway you can do it, you should place the sub as close to you as possible, so as to be able to play it as LOW a level as possible. The LFE channel can be attenuated in your Receiver also, so you can leave the subs setting a bit higher to work with your standmount speakers, but not shake the room when you are playing movies. I would place the rear speakers on stands too, you don't want to couple them to the wall if there's somebody on the other side.

manek
01-16-2004, 04:05 AM
buy reas which match your fronts and centre in their timbre.
a good idea would be to go to the manufacturer of your fronts and buy matching rears.