Tweeter Company [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter Company

MCF
07-13-2005, 07:51 AM
I have dealt with Tweeter before and had pretty good luck. Has anyone had any experience with their 30 day return policy? I have checked with two different locations and they confirmed that as long as the merchandise and packing, etc. is in like new condition, the product can be returned for a full refund. I am thinking about getting a plasma set from they (they have price matched and beat all local sources) and want to make sure I can return it if there is a problem or it simply does not meet my needs after I get it home.

godfatherofsoul
07-13-2005, 08:50 AM
I have dealt with Tweeter before and had pretty good luck. Has anyone had any experience with their 30 day return policy? I have checked with two different locations and they confirmed that as long as the merchandise and packing, etc. is in like new condition, the product can be returned for a full refund. I am thinking about getting a plasma set from they (they have price matched and beat all local sources) and want to make sure I can return it if there is a problem or it simply does not meet my needs after I get it home.

Tweeter absolutely will take it back if you are not happy with it. I have done business with them many times and those guys have always gone out of their way to make sure I'm happy.
BTW Which plasma are you looking at? They are closing out a Sony and a couple of Panasonics that might make some great deals...

Cheers

edtyct
07-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Tweeter has been a classy mid-fi outlet since it started 30 years ago or so. They actually flirted with a few high end electronic lines over the years (like conrad-johnson), though they ended up treating them like museum pieces, since nobody ever bought them. Since those days, they've concentrated on selling some of the best mainstream components. Their customer service has always been responsive; they take care of their own, though with the volume of business that they've accumulated, home visits and facility repairs now seem to entail some waiting. I agree about their plasma lines--if you have the cash. Plasma prices in brick and mortar stores are still hefty compared to those offered by the reputable internet sellers, though the local store is often the safest haven for any number of reasons. But having to price match plasmas with the likes of Best Buy and Circuit City is not much of a challenge for Tweeter now.

Ed

MCF
07-13-2005, 10:08 AM
It has everything I want....but have read that some sets can have an annoying buzz becauwse Pioneer removed one layer of glass from the panel to improve picture quality...this buzz I read about is why I want the 30 day return policy...fyi, they are selling it to me for $6500 out the door including tax and a tilting wall bracket that sells by itself for $275. Pioneer has a $500 mail in rebate on this set so I am really getting it, the media box, table top stand and tilting wall mount stand for $6000 out the door with 15 months interest free...might as well hold on to my money for the time being.

edtyct
07-13-2005, 10:17 AM
MCF,

Just for curiosity's sake, where did you read about the buzz?

Ed

MCF
07-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Not sure which one, just came across it yesterday while doing a Yahoo Search for Pioneer Elite 1120HD. If you do a search for 1120HD Buzz, you will find some discussions on it. I even talked to Pioneer about it and they said if it is 'unusually loud' they will replace the set. Supposedly, newer ones don't have the problem. THe buzz is only really audible in very quiet scenes where there is a very high contrast ratio......with my luck it will sound like a bee in the room...and the set will promptly go back to Tweeter for a full refund.....

godfatherofsoul
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Not sure which one, just came across it yesterday while doing a Yahoo Search for Pioneer Elite 1120HD. If you do a search for 1120HD Buzz, you will find some discussions on it. I even talked to Pioneer about it and they said if it is 'unusually loud' they will replace the set. Supposedly, newer ones don't have the problem. THe buzz is only really audible in very quiet scenes where there is a very high contrast ratio......with my luck it will sound like a bee in the room...and the set will promptly go back to Tweeter for a full refund.....

Killer deal on the plasma! I've sold many of that same plasma but never heard of the buzzing problem. Let us know what happens...

Cheers

godfatherofsoul
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Tweeter has been a classy mid-fi outlet since it started 30 years ago or so. They actually flirted with a few high end electronic lines over the years (like conrad-johnson), though they ended up treating them like museum pieces, since nobody ever bought them. Since those days, they've concentrated on selling some of the best mainstream components. Their customer service has always been responsive; they take care of their own, though with the volume of business that they've accumulated, home visits and facility repairs now seem to entail some waiting. I agree about their plasma lines--if you have the cash. Plasma prices in brick and mortar stores are still hefty compared to those offered by the reputable internet sellers, though the local store is often the safest haven for any number of reasons. But having to price match plasmas with the likes of Best Buy and Circuit City is not much of a challenge for Tweeter now.

Ed

Tweeter actually picked up Krell and Focal/JM Labs speakers, but at the cost of losing B&K and Sonus Faber. Also heard rumors about JBL speakers but I'm not holding my breath...

You bring up an interesting point about prices in brick and mortar versus internet prices. Having sold low-end to high-end gear for about 7 years now, I have seen more than one customer who came in shopping for gear only to tell the salesman (me) they were only looking for info and they planned to make the purchase from the internet. After discussing the merits of customer service and warranties, I politely declined to help them. The customers were free to look around and play with the gear all they wanted to, but I would not answer their questions. Why? Because the customer has flat -out told me they were not going to buy anything from me and they were only looking for info on a product they planned to purchase elsewhere.
I have seen many posts on this board and others telling people to go check out the gear locally and then buy it online. I have no problem with shopping online - I buy music and movies all the time - but many times that same customer who came in "just looking for info" came back to me with questions about that same product because the online dealer he bought it from could not help him. Again, I gave some general info - read the manual, search the web, etc - but would not answer any questions directly.
I guess the whole point of this little rant is buy from dealers who can and are willing to help you when you have questions or problems. Price is one thing, but I'm willing to pay a little more for service.

Cheers

edtyct
07-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Godfather,

You raise a good point, too. I was associated with a high-end A/V "salon" for some time. The protocol, even before the advent of the internet, was that customers who got attention and info from the staff--which could be considerable--were expected to buy from the store. Period. The arrival of web-based discounts resulted in the demise of many such places, including that one. Like it or not, the internet has changed the terrain, and people are going to use it. But if so, the right thing to do would be to use it all the way, including research. If you need to touch what you'll be buying, do so in the big stores where no one is likely to be nonplussed, and leave the people at Tweeter et al. alone. By the same token, those who are a little lost in the technical jungle should consult and buy from local people who know their stuff--Tweeter, for instance--and access ebay or an internet business sight unseen at their own peril. In this brave new world, brick and mortar stores have to offer something that the anonymous experience of mouse clicking cannot, by its very nature, despite their price advantage. Many of these stores have little in the way of bragging rights, now that the award for lowest prices goes elsewhere. They may not need to find a new approach to sales now, but the crisis is going to get worse before it gets better. Stores that encourage loyalty among their customers, with price breaks and comraderie, tend to do better than others.

By the way, are you saying that Tweeter is carrying Krell now? Krell is very protective of its territory.

Ed

edtyct
07-13-2005, 12:43 PM
MCF,

The reason why I asked where you read about the buzzing is that I'd never heard of this glass problem. Nor am I sure that I understand it. Also, I'm not aware that the panel itself makes much of a noise, despite its fan, though the media box is not entirely silent. I can't imagine, however, that normal listening levels and distance wouldn't mask whatever sound it makes. I'd go listen to it if I were you before I ruled it out. You should be able to hear any hum clearly at Tweeter. The picture on that model is one of the best.

Ed

godfatherofsoul
07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Godfather,

You raise a good point, too. I was associated with a high-end A/V "salon" for some time. The protocol, even before the advent of the internet, was that customers who got attention and info from the staff--which could be considerable--were expected to buy from the store. Period. The arrival of web-based discounts resulted in the demise of many such places, including that one. Like it or not, the internet has changed the terrain, and people are going to use it. But if so, the right thing to do would be to use it all the way, including research. If you need to touch what you'll be buying, do so in the big stores where no one is likely to be nonplussed, and leave the people at Tweeter et al. alone. By the same token, those who are a little lost in the technical jungle should consult and buy from local people who know their stuff--Tweeter, for instance--and access ebay or an internet business sight unseen at their own peril. In this brave new world, brick and mortar stores have to offer something that the anonymous experience of mouse clicking cannot, by its very nature, despite their price advantage. Many of these stores have little in the way of bragging rights, now that the award for lowest prices goes elsewhere. They may not need to find a new approach to sales now, but the crisis is going to get worse before it gets better. Stores that encourage loyalty among their customers, with price breaks and comraderie, tend to do better than others.

By the way, are you saying that Tweeter is carrying Krell now? Krell is very protective of its territory.

Ed

Yes, Tweeter will be carrying Krell. I look forward to listening and enjoying these products...

cheers

MCF
07-18-2005, 06:54 AM
got the new set this weekend and it looks awesome....No buzzing or anything that I have read..and Tweeter did take care of me...one of the guys working there even delivered the tv to my house using his personal pick up truck because the box would not fit in my Tahoe and there were no slots available on the Tweeter delivery trucks through the weekend. Hooking up took all of 15 minutes due to the media box...and it's nice picking up a 75lb 50" plasma tv when compared to a ~200lb 36" VVega tube...will be hanging the plasma this weekend on the wall and will finally have center channel centered equidistant from FL and FR....right now it is only about 3' from FR and 7' from FL.....

edtyct
07-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Congrats. That's a nice piece of equipment you just bought.

Ed

godfatherofsoul
07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
got the new set this weekend and it looks awesome....No buzzing or anything that I have read..and Tweeter did take care of me...one of the guys working there even delivered the tv to my house using his personal pick up truck because the box would not fit in my Tahoe and there were no slots available on the Tweeter delivery trucks through the weekend. Hooking up took all of 15 minutes due to the media box...and it's nice picking up a 75lb 50" plasma tv when compared to a ~200lb 36" VVega tube...will be hanging the plasma this weekend on the wall and will finally have center channel centered equidistant from FL and FR....right now it is only about 3' from FR and 7' from FL.....

Glad to hear it! Have fun hanging it on the wall - that can be a bear!

Cheers

MCF
07-18-2005, 12:56 PM
I am going to have both my bros. come over on Saturday to help. We are all Mechanical Engineers so between the three of us I hope we can figure out what the heck a tape measure is used for and all those funny numbers and maybe figure out that a level is for more than tilting and watching the cool bubble move back and forth...hehehe...actually, I have already outlined the two studs 16" apart to find the dead center of each and have 'mocked' up the tv on the wall using black cardboard currently attached to the wall with painters tape. My wife loves that up above the fireplace. I think with the three of us it should only take an hour or so...I already have a 'string' run from my audio/video cabinet to the wall so all I have to do is pull through the patch cable and power cable for the tv. Connect 'tv' half of bracket to tv...make necessary measurements, mount 'wall' half of bracket to wall and hang the tv up there....three idiots with three step ladders and a nice slate tile surface below the tv to break the fall in case we drop the set...hehe..

godfatherofsoul
07-18-2005, 06:48 PM
I am going to have both my bros. come over on Saturday to help. We are all Mechanical Engineers so between the three of us I hope we can figure out what the heck a tape measure is used for and all those funny numbers and maybe figure out that a level is for more than tilting and watching the cool bubble move back and forth...hehehe...actually, I have already outlined the two studs 16" apart to find the dead center of each and have 'mocked' up the tv on the wall using black cardboard currently attached to the wall with painters tape. My wife loves that up above the fireplace. I think with the three of us it should only take an hour or so...I already have a 'string' run from my audio/video cabinet to the wall so all I have to do is pull through the patch cable and power cable for the tv. Connect 'tv' half of bracket to tv...make necessary measurements, mount 'wall' half of bracket to wall and hang the tv up there....three idiots with three step ladders and a nice slate tile surface below the tv to break the fall in case we drop the set...hehe..

If you can't get it hung dead center, they do make "rails" you can instal on the bracket so if the tv does not hang dead center on the bracket, the rails will allow it to slide so it looks perfectly centered...

Cheers