Songs that instrumentally carry the theme of the lyrics [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Songs that instrumentally carry the theme of the lyrics

daigoro
07-13-2005, 07:21 AM
It occured to me the other day that most truly great music conveys either an emotion or a theme (or both) and is not just good for dancing or looking cool in your car. A couple of songs came to mind right away.

Rush's 'Red Barchetta' really transports you to the open country road where you can hear the roar of the engine, the squeal of the tires, and sense the grandeur of the countryside just by the tempo of the percussion, the screech of the guitar, and the melodic riffs in the background. The lyrics tell the story, the music makes you experience it.

The same could be said for Pink Floyd's 'Time'. The relentless flow of time unwinds with a clock-like percussion and a growing sense of melancholy.

XTC's 'Wounded Horse', Billy Joel's 'Allentown', Led Zeppelin's 'Immigrant Song' also definitely have a sound and rhythym to match their themes.

Any other songs come to mind for you guys?

GMichael
07-13-2005, 08:09 AM
It occured to me the other day that most truly great music conveys either an emotion or a theme (or both) and is not just good for dancing or looking cool in your car. A couple of songs came to mind right away.

Rush's 'Red Barchetta' really transports you to the open country road where you can hear the roar of the engine, the squeal of the tires, and sense the grandeur of the countryside just by the tempo of the percussion, the screech of the guitar, and the melodic riffs in the background. The lyrics tell the story, the music makes you experience it.

The same could be said for Pink Floyd's 'Time'. The relentless flow of time unwinds with a clock-like percussion and a growing sense of melancholy.

XTC's 'Wounded Horse', Billy Joel's 'Allentown', Led Zeppelin's 'Immigrant Song' also definitely have a sound and rhythym to match their themes.

Any other songs come to mind for you guys?

I am partial to Rush's 2112, Hemispheres, or most any of their music.

ForeverAutumn
07-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Interesting question. The song that immediately comes to mind (because I was listening to it and thinking just this thing, this morning) is Sacrified Sons off of the new Dream Theater disk.

The song is written about 9/11 and the music really takes me back to that day. The song begins kind of slow and lazy, like a warm, sunny day often will. Then the keyboards and guitar come in with a foreboding, dramatic effect. Shortly after that the music changes again. It becomes much quicker...frantic. I can feel the panic through the music...visualize the people running away. I remember the adreneline rush as I watched things unfold on TV. The song, appropriately, never returns to that slow, lazy opening. The music carries me through the emotions of that day.

newtrix1
07-13-2005, 12:09 PM
and a couple of songs off that album come to mind:

"Fragile" with the gentle acoustic guitar playing and Stings soft throaty vocals meld really well the lyrical theme.

Also, "They Dance Alone" with the Spanish guitar, it starts out melancholy as the lyrics describe lost relatives and third world oppression, then toward the end it gets more hopeful and the music switches to a samba style dance rhythm.

Troy
07-13-2005, 12:32 PM
How many of these associations are inventions based on your relationship to the songs. I maean, Red Barchetta I associate with sports cars and driving fast etc. because of the lyrics. If the song was an instrumental, would you hgave made this association at ALL?

For me, the real challenge is musicians that create a specific mood or location just with music, no lyrics.

ie: Mancini's music from "Hatari!" fairly screams AFRICA yet there's not a word on it.

3-LockBox
07-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Mancini's music from "Hatari!" fairly screams AFRICA yet there's not a word on it.

That's because we associate certain instruments and rythms with particular regions, due to prior exposure, most likely TV shows like Daktari whereas 'Africa' is concermed.

On Andreas Vollenweider's <i>White Winds</i>, he was trying to convey acient Egypt, but his instruments and playing style were so reminiscent of Japanese music for me, until I actually got around to reading the liner notes. (oh so many years ago) But whenever I listen to it, Japan still sticks in my mind.

Paul Simon's <i>Graceland</i> did not evoke thoughts or feelings of South Africa upon the first few listens...because back then, I had no concept of South African music or its influences. I just thought Simon was very original and inventive using accordians as lead instruments and tubas in the rythm section. Of course now, I know better.

Slosh
07-13-2005, 01:45 PM
I leave it up to you to put 2 and 2 together ;)

MomurdA
07-13-2005, 01:47 PM
I think most lyrics detract from the emotion of a song, that is why lots of my music is instrumental. I make up the mood in my mind based on the music i hear. My favorite for doing this is Tortoise and MMW, even The Cinematic Orchestra.

daigoro
07-13-2005, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=Troy]If the song was an instrumental, would you hgave made this association at ALL? [QUOTE]

Absofreakinlutely! I mean, I don't think that song could be more literal without introducing sound effects. The instruments alone convey the screeching tires, the yawn of the engine, the manic pace, etc.. Ok, ok, if you took someone who had never heard the song before, they probably would not make the connection right away. But I guarantee you if they were trying to figure it out and you told them they would slap their forehead and yell, Of course! Just like if you were to play Beethoven's Moonight Sonata, someone would have difficulty placing the word 'moonlight' in their description, but the emotion would be there.

To me, a truly great song has instruments AND vocals. Somehow there is a lacking when it is just one or the other no matter how talented the musicians. That's why acts like Joe Satriani put me to sleep after a couple of songs and I can't stand opera. Classical music might be the one exception.

Dusty Chalk
07-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Red Barchetta -- I forget where I read it, but they went through great trouble to get that guitar sound. They were specifically trying to get the sound of the guitar as being turned up to drown out the road noise and wind (especially the wind). So yes, I think they did that one well.

YYZ captures the hustle and bustle of an airport with the occasional "eye of the storm" quiet moments quite well also.

Most every song on DSOTM I think captures the theme of that particular song ("Speak To Me" -- communication, everything going on at once; "On the Run" -- transportation; "Great Gig in the Sky" -- religion; etc.).

But the real winner is "The Rain Song" by Led Zep -- Page captured every style of rain -- cloudburst, drizzle, the opening strums really cinematically capture "sheets" of rain in my mind's eye. Brought a tear to my eye the first time I realized what he was doing.

kexodusc
07-14-2005, 04:02 AM
I've had this conversation with other people before. After hours of arguing we agreed that the emotion or theme that's carried by the song is no greater than 50% the creation of the artist, no less than 50% the interpretation of the listener. Lots of variance.
Like Troy says, if you remove the lyrics and change the relationship the listener has with the song, it can have incredibly different apparent meanings.

BinFrog
07-14-2005, 05:13 AM
"Rush's 'Red Barchetta' "

No fair, I was going to post that. Especially that solo...you feel like you're cruising along a country road somewhere.

How about the end of Hemispheres when Alex kicks in with the power chords. Tell me that doesn't sound triumphant?

Ah Rush...my boys!

As a side note: I saw a red Ferrari in the parking lot of the 2003 Hartford show with the license plate "Brchta" (or something like that). How freaking cool is that?

daigoro
07-14-2005, 05:36 AM
A buddy of mine has the California plates 'GEDYLEE'. Can't tell you how many times he's had to reorder them because they keep getting ripped off! Such is the price for vanity....plates.

Hyfi
07-14-2005, 05:23 PM
I think most lyrics detract from the emotion of a song, that is why lots of my music is instrumental. I make up the mood in my mind based on the music i hear. My favorite for doing this is Tortoise and MMW, even The Cinematic Orchestra.

I prefer my music without vocals for the most part. Thats why I went the way of Jazz, Fusion and for a few years Smooth Jazz.

As far as music as the words..First and Only Mr. Carlos Santana. Every note he plays sings out with more emotion than most vocalist could dream of. My favorite would have to be my wedding song, Europa.

Also most of Craig Chaquico's solo efforts talks without words.

Hyfi