Systems comparable to Onkyo HTS-770 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Systems comparable to Onkyo HTS-770

rhainda
07-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Hello All,

I am looking to buy a HTIB in the less than 450$ range. I was wondering if someone has opinions about the Onkyo HTS 770. Also what would be comparable systems from other manufacturers and how they compare to the Onkyo HTS 770.

TIA.

JSE
07-13-2005, 07:03 AM
If you are set on a HTIB then Onkyo and Yamaha are probably your best options. Just get the best system you can afford within those lines. Also, if you have not done so yet, check out Onkyo and Yamaha's websites for refurbished deals. They usually have some really good deals if you don't mind buying refurbished products. I think they both offer warranties on their refurbs.

JSE

GMichael
07-13-2005, 08:40 AM
If you are set on a HTIB then Onkyo and Yamaha are probably your best options. Just get the best system you can afford within those lines. Also, if you have not done so yet, check out Onkyo and Yamaha's websites for refurbished deals. They usually have some really good deals if you don't mind buying refurbished products. I think they both offer warranties on their refurbs.

JSE

DITTO

rhainda
07-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your replies, JSE and GMichael. I am not hell-bent on buying a HTIB but I dont think I know enough about HT systems or have the time to research each component individually. I am looking to get a system within $500 and this looks like the best way to go.

I cam across some wireless HTIBs. Any comments on these systems? Has the technology matured enough to prevent sound degradation?

Thanks.

JSE
07-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks for your replies, JSE and GMichael. I am not hell-bent on buying a HTIB but I dont think I know enough about HT systems or have the time to research each component individually. I am looking to get a system within $500 and this looks like the best way to go.

I cam across some wireless HTIBs. Any comments on these systems? Has the technology matured enough to prevent sound degradation?

Thanks.

I have never heard a wireless system but the few reviews/comments I have seen have been sketchy.

Stick with speaker wire. It's proven.

JSE

GMichael
07-13-2005, 09:22 AM

Thanks.

I have the Yamaha YHT-755 as my bedroom system. The room is 16' 3" by 12' and it sounds very good to me. I know this is a little above your budget but maybe you can get a good deal on it, or one close, as it's an older model now.

The wireless systems can be nice if there is no interference where you are. But I'd go with real wire anyhow. Someday, they may put a cell tower up around the corner from you, like they have near me. I have trouble with normal FM reception now.

rhainda
07-13-2005, 12:31 PM
I came across the onkyo HTS780 which is a 7.1 system. How much difference does the 6.1 to 7.1 make? the price difference between the 770 and 780 is about 70$ but the 780 comes with a pair of basic speaker stands.

Thanks

JSE
07-13-2005, 01:23 PM
The difference bwteen 6.1 and 7.1 is any where from slight to huge depending on your room size and layout.

No current DVD titles are avail. in 7.1 but it's still usefull. I'd go for 7.1 just so you have it.

The nice thing about that Onkyo system you linked is that it comes with a actual standard A/V receiver that you can build around. It's likely one of their individual A/V receivers stamped with another model number. You can add better speakers (the cheapest/weakest link in a HTIB), DVD player, and other components and it will have better power than typical receivers in HTIB systems that are made specifically for HTIB. That brings up another point, that system does not have a DVD player but you can pick a decent one up for less than $100 now days.

JSE

Eric Z
07-14-2005, 06:52 AM
My brother got the Onkyo HTS760 (6.1) and I was pretty impressed with the sound. I can tell mine sounds better, but I also spent about $1K more. I asked my bother why he opted for a HTIB and he said that he is fine with 'okay' sounds since he wanted surround sound with a small budget.

Many people here like to talk people out of HTIB systems and sometimes they're right to do so. Just think why you want the system. If you're thinking about eventually saving up and upgrading your stuff, then wait and only buy a couple things now- like a receiver and 2 front speakers, or maybe the 2 fronts and a center. However, if you're not planning on going all out with your HT, then enjoy the HTIB.

Have fun!
Eric