Changing drive belt [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Changing drive belt

BrianFromOz
07-13-2005, 02:52 AM
G'day,

I have an old Harksound HS-210 turntable (early 1980's) and the drive belt has had it. I came across this forum and I hope someone can help me with a couple of things.

Firstly, where would I be able to get a new drive belt?

Secondly, what to do to change the belt? I thought that the turntable part would just lift off, but it doesn't - there must be something that holds it on.

Any (and all) assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian. :)

Brisbane, Australia.

JohnMichael
07-13-2005, 10:16 AM
G'day,

I have an old Harksound HS-210 turntable (early 1980's) and the drive belt has had it. I came across this forum and I hope someone can help me with a couple of things.

Firstly, where would I be able to get a new drive belt?

Secondly, what to do to change the belt? I thought that the turntable part would just lift off, but it doesn't - there must be something that holds it on.

Any (and all) assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian. :)

Brisbane, Australia.

You might want to try www.turntablebasics.com. If they do not have your table listed they can teach you how to measure the current belt and how much to deduct for stretching. Then they can probably sell you the right sized belt. I do not know if they can tell you how to change the belt. I remember my B&O RX2 and I had to remove some screws from the bottom to remove the top plate for access to the belt. If you can photograph it and post it maybe we can help figure it out with you. Good luck!

BrianFromOz
07-19-2005, 02:01 AM
You might want to try www.turntablebasics.com. If they do not have your table listed they can teach you how to measure the current belt and how much to deduct for stretching. Then they can probably sell you the right sized belt. I do not know if they can tell you how to change the belt. I remember my B&O RX2 and I had to remove some screws from the bottom to remove the top plate for access to the belt. If you can photograph it and post it maybe we can help figure it out with you. Good luck!

Hi JohnMichael,

Thanks for your reply. I have been in contact with turntablebasics and they have been very helpful so far. I now know how to measure the size of the belt. The problem is now to get it off. I have a couple of photos that show the top & bottom view. There are a number of screws, but I fear undoing them might undo something that shouldn't be undone. :(

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/bdcarter/turntable/dscn1876s.jpg

http://www.users.bigpond.com/bdcarter/turntable/dscn1877s.jpg

http://www.users.bigpond.com/bdcarter/turntable/dscn1879s.jpg

JohnMichael
07-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Brian,
It should be easy to lift the platter off of the shaft. It may take a little force if the platter has been on the bearing shaft for awhile. Put two fingers in the holes closest to the shaft and a thumb on the shaft and with a little force it should lift right up.

BrianFromOz
07-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Great advice JohnMichael. :D

All it needed was a bit more force than I had previously applied. When it came off like that, it was quite obvious.

Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Brian.