Tannoy Fusion 3 Or Mordaunt Short 904 - Need Help Deciding [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy Fusion 3 Or Mordaunt Short 904 - Need Help Deciding

will4
07-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Need help deciding between these two speakers please. I've posted in other forums and looked all over the internet - been to 4 hi fi shops and phoned a few places including richer sounds. No luck though - so if anyone could help please let me know.

Cheers, Will :)

will4
07-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Anyone?!?!? :confused:

Please help me especially those people with Tannoy Fusion 4's or even 3's if you have them or know anyone who does.

matt39
07-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Hi Will,
You may have a tough time getting some feedback on these speakers because there aren't too many of us who have any experience with them. I heard the MS904 a couple of years ago and thought it sounded pretty good but it is difficult for me to remember it that well now so it's not really possible to give you a detailed impression of their sound. You may have to make your decision based on your own audition experience. For what it is worth, both companies have been around for a while and have good reputations but whether either of these products would suit your tastes or needs I really can't say. Have you been able to audition them? If not you may want to expand your search to include some models you can hear first. Sorry for the lack of details but about the best I can offer is to trust your own listening impressions. Good luck with your search and keep us posted with your decision. Always good to get some information on good, but unfamiliar, products.
Gary

will4
07-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Gary

I bought the MS906's from Richer Sounds for £245 and am currently demo'ing them at home - yesterday they were sounding quite harsh but they seem to be behaving better today......

It's going to be very difficult to hear these Tannoy Fusion 4's because the best places to get them from on the internet (and the cheapest) is www.unbeatable.co.uk and www.petertyson.co.uk - the best price being £249.95 and they're extremely hard to get hold of to demo! Believe me i've tried practically everywhere I can think of.

If after a bit of running in I don't think the MS906's are to my taste then I'll get the Tannoy Fusion 4's I just don't want to make the mistake of getting them and then being disappointed - although my past Tannoy speakers have been great (Mercury M1, but not magnetically shielded).

P.S I'd have to wait around 2 weeks or something for them to deliver them too from mail order because it's far too far to collect them and they have to send out an individual order.

will4
07-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Oh and as you can see I've moved my budget up slightly after doing more research. Same manufacturers and line up though...... just the next model in the range.

Anyone with any info/help/advice on the Tannoy's please get in touch

All the best,

Will

RGA
07-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't understand why these would be on your list of speaker contenders if you have not yet heard them?

matt39
07-16-2005, 03:52 PM
After my post this morning I dug through some of my old literature and found my MS brochure. Those 906's look pretty nice! I also read the reviews here at AR and they look pretty positive. If you haven't already read them you should check them out. Several guys made some suggestions to get improved bass and also stated that the harshness you're hearing should tone down with time. A speaker maker from my area (Detroit, MI) had an interesting post on another site where he claimed that speaker breakin is more accurately termed listener breakin. This guy is very sharp and made a lot of sense so you may be experiencing unaccustomed levels of detail which you will grow to like as you become more familiar with your new speakers. Anyway I hope you enjoy your new speakers and let us know what you think after you've had them for a while. Enjoy!
Gary

will4
07-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Because RGA - nearly all the hi fi stores near me only give a demo if you buy from them ( they're stuffy and snobs and I'd rather not go there to tell you the truth).

They just try to flog you B&W's (which are alright, in my opinion over rated and too expensive for what they are/don't discount them) or wharfedales that I don't like.

I've done a lot of research myself RGA but if they don't stock the speakers I want I'd never get anything would I.

will4
07-17-2005, 06:35 AM
And thanks a lot for your time Gary - I really appreciate it :)

angsumanroy
07-18-2005, 11:34 AM
I auditioned the tannoy fusion f4s at fry's electronics, perhaps they didn't have them set-up right as there was no bass perhaps they had the recievers crossover set. The guys were idiots. However i was quite dissapointed by the tannoys, as much as a love their studio monitors and their higher end series, they sounded horrendously bright to my ears, they were retailing for only $300 a pair. they probably are better than how i heard them but it left a bad impression on me.

will4
07-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks a lot angsumanroy ......... I really appreciate that info you gave me.

I was wondering had they run them in properly and/or matched them up with a suitable amplifier because they need quite a powerful one to get the best out of them - same with the MS 906's i'm auditioning at home at the moment.

I guess based on your experience you won't be buying them then...... what are you going to consider instead? Or were you just having a demo to check them out.