analog or digital cable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : analog or digital cable

Sue
01-04-2004, 07:43 AM
I just purchased a Pioneer home theatre system that has a built in dvd and it's capable of 5.1 and dts. I purchased the rca analog cable. Is this right? or do I have to get a digital cable instead. If so would I disconnect the analog and just use the digital cable in its place. Help I don't know what I'm doing.. Thanks, Sue

Sue
01-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Hi,
It's a pioneer htd 530 dv model. I have a magnavox vcr and a satelitte dish in the play. My zenith tv doesn't have enough inputs so I have a modulator hooked up. I am using a s video . Does this help?

Geoffcin
01-04-2004, 07:56 AM
I just purchased a Pioneer home theatre system that has a built in dvd and it's capable of 5.1 and dts. I purchased the rca analog cable. Is this right? or do I have to get a digital cable instead. If so would I disconnect the analog and just use the digital cable in its place. Help I don't know what I'm doing.. Thanks, Sue

Hi Sue,

The problem is I don't know what your going to use the RCA jacks for. If your going to hook the DVD player to the TV, your going to need either component jacks, S-video jacks, or composite. Please tell us what your trying to do first, and then it would be easier to be of assistance. Also, if this is an all-in-one system, it should come with the proper jacks to hook it up. Can you tell me the model #?

Geoffcin
01-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Hi,
It's a pioneer htd 530 dv model. I have a magnavox vcr and a satelitte dish in the play. My zenith tv doesn't have enough inputs so I have a modulator hooked up. I am using a s video . Does this help?

Hi Sue,

Yes, that helps. I still don't know exactly what your trying to hook up to what, but your system is a pretty common HT setup, and it should be straight forward once you work it out.

Your satellite dish should have a digital output for the audio. Hook this into your receiver's digital input. Doing this with give you Dolby Digital capability from your satellite receiver. Hooking this up will take just one RCA jack, even though they are mostly sold in pairs. Don't worry if you only have "analog" cables, the digital signal doesn't know that!

Your VCR will have two analog RCA outs for the audio. Hook those up to your receiver.

Unfortunately your receiver doesn't have video switching capability, or you could have done away with your video switchbox.

Your reciever DOES have component outputs for video. If your TV accepts these then I would reccomend you use them. The componant cables are a bit more expensive, but the picture quality cant be beat. If "S" is all you have though, go with that.

Good luck!

Sue
01-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Okay, But I've got another question. Right now I have 2 audio cables hooked up into the satelitte. Do I pull them out and only put 1 in the digital port of the satelitte and receiver. Thanks again. Sue

Geoffcin
01-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Okay, But I've got another question. Right now I have 2 audio cables hooked up into the satelitte. Do I pull them out and only put 1 in the digital port of the satelitte and receiver. Thanks again. Sue

Yes, that's exactly what you should do. The minute you do that you'll start getting Dolby Digital from the sattlite.

Sue
01-05-2004, 02:30 AM
Well I got another proble. I went to Circuit City to but that cable and I had all my manuals with me. My satelitte doesn't have a digital output. Salesman said I coulg get surround sound from my receiver and since my dvd is built into the receiver I would get the 5.1 dts capabilites from a dvd. Is this all true? Is there anything I can do about the satelitte? Maybe hook up another adapter or something? Thanks, Again

recoveryone
01-05-2004, 05:59 AM
sounds like your stuck, If the Dish only has analog ouput then you have no choice

Geoffcin
01-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Well I got another proble. I went to Circuit City to but that cable and I had all my manuals with me. My satelitte doesn't have a digital output. Salesman said I coulg get surround sound from my receiver and since my dvd is built into the receiver I would get the 5.1 dts capabilites from a dvd. Is this all true? Is there anything I can do about the satelitte? Maybe hook up another adapter or something? Thanks, Again

Time for a new satellite receiver. Unless you get one you'll be stuck listening to satellite TV in stereo, rather than in Dolby Digital.

Your DVD player WILL play DVD's in Dolby Digital, and I think it had DTS decoding too.

uncooked
01-05-2004, 07:19 PM
OR you could go to radio shack and pick up a surround sound decoder and wire your stereo output from your satelite into it and then it sends out "fake" surround but still better then stereo. but if your receiver has prologic II or neo 6 then dont bother.