Guess who I saw this weekend? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guess who I saw this weekend?

ForeverAutumn
07-11-2005, 10:56 AM
The girl who hasn't been able to make it through a whole Broken Social Scene song on any comp that she's received, went out and saw them perform live on Friday night!

Well, to be fair, I didn't go just to see them. There was a huge weekend long street party this weekend, and BSS was just one of the band that performed at Friday night's opening ceremony.

I must say that seeing them live made a big difference for me. They were really good! With four guitars going at one point, they were amazingly tight. I didn't think much of the female vocalist (Amy something), but as y'all know, I'm not a big fan of female vox anyway. Not that she was bad, she was just mediocre, you know. They coulda done better. Anyway, bottom line is that I have a whole new appreciation for this band and am going to have to go fishing through the comp piles to dig out some BSS and give them another chance.

Other musical highlights of the party were:
Holly Cole - sounded great but looks like she's had some serious retooling of her face. I wouldn't have recognized her if she wasn't belting out her incredible voice.

Jully Black - not normally my kind of tunes but she had the crowd dancing to her Hip Hop tunes with a Caribean flair. Very talented singer/performer. Worth checking out if you're into that sort of thing.

Great Big Sea - I was only marginally familar with this band from Newfoundland. Based on this performance, they've had more big hits here than I was aware of (lots of stuff where I knew the song but didn't realize who sang it). A nice mix of rock and traditional celtic tunes. Could only be found in Newfoundland, eh. The most fun performance of the evening for sure.

We went back on Saturday night to check out a young new singer that I've been hearing lots of buzz about, Jeremy Fisher. If you're a fan of Jim Bryson (Snowy and Davey), you should check this kid out. Decent songwriting abilities that should mature nicely in a few years. Not an outstanding voice, but he holds his own. He alternated between folky numbers on acoustic guitar and hard rocking tunes with his bandmates on electric guitars. He only played a 25 minute set and left us wanting more. A strong second album (his first one is in stores now) and a good marketing push, should help to see this kid get a decent following.

All in all, musically speaking, it was an excellent weekend.

Finch Platte
07-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the post- sounds like a good time!

"...she was just mediocre, you know. They coulda done better."

Zactly what I say about Dream Theater. The new one blows, imo, but could have been a real contender for a great disc without The Head Cheese LaBrie.

I know, I know. Dead horse & all that. :rolleyes:

fp

ForeverAutumn
07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the post- sounds like a good time!

"...she was just mediocre, you know. They coulda done better."

Zactly what I say about Dream Theater. The new one blows, imo, but could have been a real contender for a great disc without The Head Cheese LaBrie.

I know, I know. Dead horse & all that. :rolleyes:

fp

Yeah, but you gotta read further into my post...see them live and you'll gain a whole new appreciation.

:p