dented dome [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : dented dome

marrman
07-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I accidentally put a dent in the dome tweeter of my b&W 601. Will this have an affect the sound dramatically? Or will it make no difference? Thanks to who reply.

bjornb17
07-10-2005, 01:30 PM
I accidentally put a dent in the dome tweeter of my b&W 601. Will this have an affect the sound dramatically? Or will it make no difference? Thanks to who reply.

assuming you have two of them, compare it to the sound of the other one to see if you can tell a difference.

Although theory would suggest that it will sound different, you may not notice.

psonic
07-10-2005, 05:40 PM

Use a length of very sticky tape like duct or packing, carefully dab at the dent and it should pull right out after several "dabs". Happened to my Dynes, can't hear any difference..

kexodusc
07-11-2005, 03:37 AM
It'll definitely affect dispersion charactersitics, how much depends on the size of the dent. Often times you can't tell too much and people live with it.
If it bothers you, psonic's method might work, if not, a tweeter shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

Florian
07-11-2005, 04:26 AM
Reminds of my fisr systems. I bought a full set of THX-Ultra certified HT speakers. Payed lots of money for it and my 5 year old brother found the domes interesting and pressed every single one in. Man i was pissed :p

Anyway, use a vacuum cleaner with the settings on "low" and use the staff...they will come out easy.

-Flo

kexodusc
07-11-2005, 04:37 AM
Whoah!!! before doing the vacuum trick be careful...I did that with a Seas soft-dome a few months back and it tore the dome apart from the voice coil...I still think it works, but I'm hesitant to recommend it now. Not all vacuums are created equally. Mine was pretty strong I guess. :D

Florian
07-11-2005, 05:16 AM
Hehe....guess i got lucky ! :-)

shokhead
07-11-2005, 05:54 AM
Just buy a replacement from B&W and replace it.

marrman
07-12-2005, 06:37 PM
I want to thank everyone for the input. I did get the duct tape trick to work. It took several tries, but alas "pop" out it came. i was sooo excited. Just the thought of it being denting made me sick. Even if
there was no difference in sound. So thanks, it's fixed.