Any recent cool ebay buys? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any recent cool ebay buys?

Monkey Bones
07-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Seems like a lot of trouble so I don't too often buy stuff off ebay, but was looking for a copy of the 1995 Waterpistol by that great English duo Shack and found one sitting pretty quietly on ebay so placed a bid thinking I could snag it on the cheap, but it jumped up a few bucks after that and I let it go. Too bad cause I would LOVE to get a copy of this. Will keep trying since it's now on my email alert. Anyone besides my good buddy chrisnz into these guys? That HMS Fable that came out after Waterpistol is sure nice. Wish they had better US penetration so that it would be easier and cheaper to get their stuff. Great britpop!

So instead I scooped up a copy of the (sadly defunct) Animals That Swim retrospective (or best of), called Faded Glamour. Should be a good one. Love these guys. Kind of like the Smiths. AMG has a pretty cool writeup in the bio .... An eccentric, hyper-literate cross between Scott Walker, Tom Waits, the Teardrop Explodes, and Ride, Animals That Swim were slightly too weird for mass consumption, but their oddball, half-beatnik/half-psychedelic pop was a refreshing response to the early days of Brit-pop.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0002IOUV0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Definitely another band that never made it in the big country. Guess they probably didn't exactly make it in the British Isles either? Only thing I've seen available over here was the somewhat uneven Workshy which was the source of a couple songs on my Spring Cleaning comp. Anyone remember that one ....

I was thinking that
maybe I'd get a maid
Find a place nearby
for her to stay.
Just someone
to keep my house clean,
Fix my meals and go away.

A maid. A man needs a maid.
A maid. (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comp_images/springcleaning.jpg)

:)

Dave_G
07-09-2005, 01:53 PM
I love ebay.

I have Sparks "Kimono my House" on the way on import cd!

I have filled darn near my entire Camel cd collection from ebay and most of my IQ as well.

I have had 109 transactions, 2 ****ty ones.

Dave

chrisnz
07-09-2005, 02:58 PM
I can't believe you let that go... cheepness be your middle name :-)

I never have the patience for the auctions so wind up paying the "buy now" surcharge. I don't want to think how much I've payed for that particular privilege.

Actually there's 3 copies of Waterpistol at Caiman for $18....hmmm.

Monkey Bones
07-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I can't believe you let that go... cheepness be your middle name :-)
Actually, my middle name starts with a 'B', which has always stood for benevolent around here. You must be thinking of someone else.

Hey hey, I didn't want to overpay for the thing. It is still available from the Marina label in Germany for something like 15 of those Euro things, but I found a place in Canada that has some copies for 15 USD so I'll probably snatch one of those. Shipping is kind of high if you just buy one thing but they don't have much of a selection and what they do have is mostly twee pop type stuff, which I guess is kind of like Shack, eh? I don't know, Shack is a little more ballsy than stuff like B&S, right? Or the Lucksmiths, who have a new one out featured on the front page at this place, but they're pretty soft and literate. Are the Lucksmiths big around your neighborhood?

chrisnz
07-09-2005, 08:09 PM
That's not what I'd heard the "B" stood for but I stand corrected.

The Lucksmiths haven't registered on any of the searches I've done through my local sources.

I'd have said Shack had distinctly more balls than B&S. Do you know anything about The Strands? That's supposed to be another reincarnation of the Head brothers along a similar vein. Oh to have unlimited funds/time.

Did you ever get Nick Caves latest?

I think you'd like Hoods - Outside Closer. I had an epiphany with it the other night, glass of wine, roaring fire, Cherie out. Was cool.

Monkey Bones
07-09-2005, 08:51 PM
The Lucksmiths ... The Strands ... Nick Cave ... Hood ... epiphany...
The Lucksmiths are a nice little Aussie guitar pop band that I think Stone was big on a coupla years ago or so. He opened one of his very nice but rather rare comps with a cool tune and made me take notice, but I never did anything about it. They sound kind of like the Shins, I guess. Just thought they'd probably be bigger in their native Australia, and so maybe in your slice of paradise as well due to the proximity effect. I know you Kiwis have a lot of pent up Aussie envy, right?

Hehehe, never heard of the Strands but seems like a good name. First thought is early Roxy Music. That would be a cool sound to shoot for, I mean with all the retro bands going now. Could do a lot worse than that quirky early Roxy sound with Eno on board, but I guess it has been exploited a lot already. The Head brothers have a lot going for them in that Beatles tradition. Too bad those wanker Oasis brothers overshadowed them in the marketplace. HMS Fable is much better than anything with an Oasis sticker, and Waterpistol is supposed to be even better. No accounting for taste, huh?

I do have the last Nick Cave and do like it, although I have complained some about what a s</>hitty sounding couple of discs it is. Obviously intentional, but I wish he hadn't followed the "keep turning up the compression until you can barely tell the difference between a guitar and drum kit, then turn up the level until you're assured of digital clipping throughout, then add a bunch of EQ to make sure it is extra harsh". Hope that doesn't sound too critical ... it does have some very nice music and a cool package ;)

Haven't heard the latest Hood album but sure liked the last one, Cold House. Someday .... Funny, that last Hood album was one of the highlights (for me) on that comp I mentioned above. That whole album has a very nice flow. Guess the new one must be really good too if it leads to epiphanies. Did you come to a new realization about life, and the spirit world, and fulfilling your destiny, or something revelatory like that? Or just a revelation about how nice it is to catch a buzz from some good-ass wine and music?

chrisnz
07-09-2005, 09:51 PM
I think Nick's hearing must have been seriously damaged during his Birthday Party years or perhaps he's looking longterm at the complete catalogue remixed? I'd love to listen to Tender Prey without blood coming out of my ears.

My epiphanies are of the parlour version these days... domestic, small scale. Wrong fuel I suspect.

Kiwi's do not have any kind of Aussie envy at all, nada, nil, nothing... mostly we have relief along the lines of "thank F**k we don't have that at home"

I flew over you a few weeks ago, waved but no sign of intelligent life, then we landed in LA....

Is it the Grand Valley that runs North South behind SF (5th Form Geography was a long time ago) ?Spectacular country.

Monkey Bones
07-10-2005, 06:57 AM
I flew over you a few weeks ago, waved but no sign of intelligent life, then we landed in LA....
Yeah, most of the intelligent life down here has better things to do than stare at the sky and wave at airplanes flying high overhead. Guess down under life moves to a different drummer, eh? ;)

Is it the Grand Valley that runs North South behind SF (5th Form Geography was a long time ago) ?Spectacular country.
There is a lot of spectacular country in California, there's no doubt of that. The center section of the state between the coastal mountain ranges and the Sierras is imaginatively named the Central Valley and is the water-sucking greenbelt where we grow most of our produce. Most of the Central Valley is south of SF, but it does extend some to the north.

Stone
07-12-2005, 04:39 AM
The Lucksmiths are a nice little Aussie guitar pop band that I think Stone was big on a coupla years ago or so. He opened one of his very nice but rather rare comps with a cool tune and made me take notice, but I never did anything about it. They sound kind of like the Shins, I guess. Just thought they'd probably be bigger in their native Australia, and so maybe in your slice of paradise as well due to the proximity effect. I know you Kiwis have a lot of pent up Aussie envy, right?

And they have a new(ish) album out that is really good, if you're into that kind of thing. They're basically guitar based pop, and have a similar sound to acts such as Belle and Sebastian. The lyrics are pretty well done too, and often cynical. They added a fourth member (second guitarist) before recording their latest, Warmer Corners, which gives them a much fuller and "warm" sound.

Arturo7
07-12-2005, 06:28 AM
I picked up a group of classical LPs last week. The lot cost me about 50 cents each with shipping. They were all in NM condition and low and behold there was a pristine RCA Victor "shaded dog." Musta been my lucky day. This more than made up for the run-over-by-a-truck Prez Prado that another seller claimed was in "very good condition."

Kaboom
07-13-2005, 07:14 AM
certainly! just today i recieved an anadisq MoFi of ELP's Tarkus that i got for under 30 bucks, perfectly mint. Several japanese pressings (two latest Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear and Misplaced Childhood) for under 20 bucks... there's loads of stuff on ebay i never find in the shops.
I LOVE EBAY!!!
i'm going for them shaded dogs next. I really want to try that "living stereo" thing

Monkey Bones
07-15-2005, 02:25 PM
The Lucksmiths are a nice little Aussie guitar pop band that I think Stone was big on a coupla years ago or so....

And they have a new(ish) album out that is really good, if you're into that kind of thing. They're basically guitar based pop, and have a similar sound to acts such as Belle and Sebastian. The lyrics are pretty well done too, and often cynical. They added a fourth member (second guitarist) before recording their latest, Warmer Corners, which gives them a much fuller and "warm" sound.
Hey, thanks for the reply Stoney. Didn't see it earlier. I did order both the Lucksmiths Warmer Corners and the Shack Waterpistol discs from the place in Canada at http://poppolar.com/ so should have them soon. Sounds like a good record. Can't wait to hear that old Shack album too. Great sound they have.

tentoze
07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
If half.com counts (and it should since ebay owns it), I had that Paul K & The Weathermen disk yr always talking about waiting in the mailbox when I got back to LV on Monday. 4 bucks and change delivered. It's pretty good too, although one spin isn't enough to form a real opinion. First thing I've bought from that site in a while.

Monkey Bones
07-15-2005, 02:46 PM
If half.com counts (and it should since ebay owns it), I had that Paul K & The Weathermen disk yr always talking about waiting in the mailbox when I got back to LV on Monday. 4 bucks and change delivered. It's pretty good too, although one spin isn't enough to form a real opinion. First thing I've bought from that site in a while.
Oh yeah, I remember you mentioning that super deal after that review I did over at Karma. Cool. Glad it wasn't another Blueberry or Funeral incident, although I hopefully didn't get full blame for those ones! Hehehe, that Paul K is a great record, especially for only 4 clams delivered. And even still available on new vinyl from the label for a coupla clams more for those of you who don't yet understand why digital is clearly superior ;)

Instant Karma (http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41776)