Rotel Vs. Arcam [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rotel Vs. Arcam

Carl567iw
07-08-2005, 06:50 AM
I was thinking of buying either one of these setups and wanted your advice on which one and why?

1st
Rotel Rcd02
Rotel Ra02
Quad 11L

2nd
Arcam 65+
Arcam cd73t
Quad 11L

Many thanks
Carl

kexodusc
07-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Personally, I'd get the Rotel amp and Arcam CD player. Better bang-for-the buck in Rotel, the Arcam you might find a bit on the warm side, where I'd put Rotel more neutral/bright. (I have a Rotel RA-1070 and an Arcam CD72T). I've owned Arcam in the past though and they do make a nice amp, but I don't see any real justification for the price difference, and I generally preferred the sound quality of the Rotel.

I think Arcam makes a slightly better player though. Save the $100 witht he RA-02 if you don't hear anything you absolutel have to have in the 65+ and get the Arcam CD player. Unless you're dead set on having matching equipment for whatever reason. (not much benefit IMO).

Geoffcin
07-09-2005, 08:55 AM
I was thinking of buying either one of these setups and wanted your advice on which one and why?

1st
Rotel Rcd02
Rotel Ra02
Quad 11L

2nd
Arcam 65+
Arcam cd73t
Quad 11L

Many thanks
Carl

I've owned two, and the one your looking at is a bargain in high end CD players. I think matching components are nice visually, but I myself don't need to have matching namplates.

Mr Peabody
07-09-2005, 09:08 AM
I have only heard Rotel on B&W and Hale speakers. The Arcam I've heard has been through Dynaudio, AE & Martin Logan.

I found the Rotel on the warm side and it made my CD's sound like they were playing at a slower speed and lacked impact or responsiveness. It did have a pleasant sound but it wasn't my style. All the recordings just had a layed back feel that didn't sound natural to me.

Arcam on the other hand I have always found very dynamic and quick. Arcam is capable of milking a lot of imformation off your CD's and conveying it to your ears. I found Arcam CD players to be one of the best values or bang for the bucks going right now. Their amps are capable of driving difficult speaker loads. I've seen their little integrated amps drive Martin Logan and Dynaudio without breaking a sweat.

I'm not familiar with Quad. I found Rotel and Arcam to have very different presentations, I think you will have to give each a listen to see which you prefer. I use an Arcam FMJ power amp on my center and rears and have Krell for my mains. The Arcam matches with my Krell very well, so I'm not sure where anyone would get the impression Arcam was warm unless they were driving a very colored speaker. I've found on a couple of threads that our impressions of the various adjectives used to describe audio gear vary greatly but I have always found Arcam to lean toward the opposite end of my perception of warm. The highs are not rolled off by any means, the bass is fast and accurate and I would describe them to be more aggressive than layed back.

RGA
07-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Rotel and Arcam are both pretty safe buys. Given the history I probably agree with Kex in the Rotel Amp and the Arcam Cd Player. But the 65plus is supposed to be better than the 65 which i did not care for.

Frankly, I'd buy the amp used. Or a better amp used for the same money. I had the Delta 290 whihc IMO is better than the newer releases. You'd get it on the used market for about $350.00 and it was their top integrated about 6 years ago. And of course you may do better again on the used market with other brands -- but the Delta 290 was the best selling amplifier in Europe during its run...and for a SS amp does quite a good job.

Jimmy C
07-09-2005, 02:22 PM

1st
Rotel Rcd02
Rotel Ra02
Quad 11L

2nd
Arcam 65+
Arcam cd73t
Quad 11L

Many thanks
Carl

...be a safe bet. Bear in mind, what you will hear in the cozy confines of the home will probably be quite different that what any of us us might have heard with a relatively brief store demo, on possibly (probably) different speakers. Listen for yourself.

A local dealer had the Arcam stuff in for a "try-out", but they didn't feel the line offered a worthwhile improvement over Rotel and (next up in the audio world) Bryston gear. I didn't either... not a world of difference, IMO. I have Rotel seperates, and realize their limitations... but, it's up to you if the slightly different sound is worth the extra money.

Some say Rotel is bright... I don't agree. To me, they don't sound (or measure) "hot" in any of the higher frequencies. No, not too much of the audiophile "cache", and yeah, it's ugly... but I'm having a hard time replacing it! OK - I haven't heard tubes on MY livingroom yet :*)

That 'lil 02 integ. has some decent balls and weight as well as being fairly smooth (for an SS).

Borrow if you can...

BillB
07-14-2005, 08:50 AM
My Arcam CD73 and Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075 combo get on rather well. Much better than the Rotels did with a Rega Planet 2000. Highly recommended.

Bill