Anyone familiar with Kenwood Midnight Theatre Mode? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Kenwood Midnight Theatre Mode?

applenut
07-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I see it advertised but no where explains what it is? Is it like Yamaha's technology that strengthens the center channel/dialouge and dynamically adjusts the satellites for less intense viewing or is it something else?

drseid
07-08-2005, 01:06 AM
I see it advertised but no where explains what it is? Is it like Yamaha's technology that strengthens the center channel/dialouge and dynamically adjusts the satellites for less intense viewing or is it something else?
It is commonly referred to as "Dynamic Range Compression Mode."

It restricts the db peaks (dynamic range if you will) of DD and DTS soundtracks, so that you don't get a very loud sudden sound like a crash or a canon that could disturb others in the house or neighbors (it accomplishes this by compressing the dynamic range of these sounds so they do not go above certain range limits and as a result are less dynamic). This, of course is sub-optimal to be sure, and should be avoided except as an absolute last result (I would argue it should never be used).

---Dave