Can I put a receiver and cd player on top of my subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I put a receiver and cd player on top of my subwoofer

eighthcircuit
07-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Is it ok to put my receiver, cd player, and dvd player on top of my subwoofer? It is a big sub, the width of the cabinet is 16 inches and it is plenty deep. I'm just worried whether vibrations from the sub will damage my electronics.

noddin0ff
07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
The important thing is that your electronics are held firmly to the top of the sub to minimize the bouncing of your components. If you weight them down with a lot of fine crystal and a carton of eggs, you'll be fine.

eighthcircuit
07-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your reply noddin0ff. Any other opinions? I would like to be a bit more reassured that I can do this.

Glen B
07-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Is it ok to put my receiver, cd player, and dvd player on top of my subwoofer? It is a big sub, the width of the cabinet is 16 inches and it is plenty deep. I'm just worried whether vibrations from the sub will damage my electronics.

I would not place components on top of or close to a subwoofer or any full range speaker that produces substantial low frequencies. I would be concerned about microphonics caused by the vibrations as well as skipping/data reading errors.

noddin0ff
07-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Really, the problem I see is that the vibrations will likely cause the CDs and DVD's to skip. While not necessarily damaging, very annoying. It'd drive me nuts.

eighthcircuit
07-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Assuming the CD/DVD doesn't skip, I am still wondering if this setup would effect sound quality. Audiophiles will mostly say it will degrade sound quality, but i don't exactly know why. I know audiophiles try hard to avoid any vibrations getting to their electronics, but is the sound quality degradation from this setup still relevant if I have a relatively cheap system (NHT super one speakers, audiosource sw-15 subwoofer, yamaha receiver and cd player). By the way, I havn't tried to find out if this works yet, since I don't have the whole system yet. I really want to put the electronics on the sub only because i need to save space in my bedroom.

N. Abstentia
07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Other than the skipping issue (which is GONNA happen) I wouldn't want the power transformers near any magnetic field..and a subwoofer has a huge magentic field. Why? I really don't know. I have no scientific explaination...just don't seem right. Like when the neighbors daugher is out there washing her car in her bikini...don't seem right to watch but you're not exactly sure why.....

Glen B
07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Other than the skipping issue (which is GONNA happen) I wouldn't want the power transformers near any magnetic field..and a subwoofer has a huge magentic field. Why? I really don't know. I have no scientific explaination...just don't seem right. Like when the neighbors daugher is out there washing her car in her bikini...don't seem right to watch but you're not exactly sure why.....

Good looking out. I forgot about the magnetic field of the sub's power tranny and driver, although it may very well be shielded so that it can be placed close to a TV.

Glen B
07-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Assuming the CD/DVD doesn't skip, I am still wondering if this setup would effect sound quality. Audiophiles will mostly say it will degrade sound quality, but i don't exactly know why. I know audiophiles try hard to avoid any vibrations getting to their electronics, but is the sound quality degradation from this setup still relevant if I have a relatively cheap system (NHT super one speakers, audiosource sw-15 subwoofer, yamaha receiver and cd player). By the way, I havn't tried to find out if this works yet, since I don't have the whole system yet. I really want to put the electronics on the sub only because i need to save space in my bedroom.

As N.Absentia said, magnetic fields from the subwoofer (if it is not magnetically shielded) can introduce hum into your system. The circuitry in your components are sensitive to hum pickup and need to be kwpt away from strong magnetic fields. Even stacking components can be a problem where there are substantial sized power transformers in their power supplies. The vibrations from the sub may also likely muddy up the sound. The cost of your system is irrelevant.

eighthcircuit
07-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Ok, I get it now, electronics on top of subwoofer = bad. How about this, can i put my receiver and cd player on top of a mini-fridge? Yes, I am being serious. The motor for the fridge is at the very bottom, so i'm thinking this might be ok.

paul_pci
07-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Ok, I get it now, electronics on top of subwoofer = bad. How about this, can i put my receiver and cd player on top of a mini-fridge? Yes, I am being serious. The motor for the fridge is at the very bottom, so i'm thinking this might be ok.

You might be okay when it comes to vibrations, but what about the heat. Assuming that you'll be putting the CD player on top of the receiver and assuming that the receiver has vents on the top of it, you'll essentially be cooking your CD player. Perhaps you can put the CD player inside the fridge, drill a hole in the door so the remote will work and drill a hole in the rear so you can connect it to the receiver.

noddin0ff
07-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Is the mini-fridge on top of the Sub? The fridge motor won't produce a magnetic field like a sub. The coils are usually on the back so heat isn't an issue for things on top. Unless you slam the door, it's not likely to skip your CD player... I'd think that if there were any effects on the audio signal, they would be completely drowned out by the hum of the mini-fridge. Before you ask, Microwaves are likely Bad.

Glen B
07-14-2005, 07:19 AM

I sympathize with your space dilemma. On top of the mini-fridge should be okay. Those little units are usually pretty quiet. Also, as Paul mentioned, pay attention to the stacking of your CD player and receiver. A set of vibrapods or similar isolation feet under the CD player might help with any vibrations from the fridge and also provide some added ventilation space over the receiver.

Vibrapods: http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.88/it.A/id.61/.f

eighthcircuit
07-14-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm curious why it is being suggested to place the cd player on top of the reciever instead of the other way around. If the receiver goes on top of the cd player, isn't the whole heat issue from the top of the receiver avoided?

paul_pci
07-14-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm curious why it is being suggested to place the cd player on top of the reciever instead of the other way around. If the receiver goes on top of the cd player, isn't the whole heat issue from the top of the receiver avoided?

Unless you're working with a Fisher Price receiver, typically, an AV receiver is much heavier and sturdier than a CD player, thus suggesting the best physical arrangement would not to place the heavier piece on the less sturdy piece.

Can you affix small shelves on the wall, sturdy enough to hold the two pieces?

eighthcircuit
07-14-2005, 11:44 PM
My cd player is actually a cd changer (110 slots). Its bigger than my receiver but definitely lighter. However, it feels quite sturdy, and i've never had a problem before. I've been stacking them with receiver on top for years (even with a dvd player and vcr above that!). Both cd player and receiver are yamaha (if that makes a difference). I just don't see how putting the reciever under the cd player would be better (assuming the cd player is reasonably sturdy). Maybe i just know far less about electronics than i thought.

The small shelves on the wall is not a bad idea, but that's not really an option for me. I am defintely stacking the components on top of each other on furniture i already have (can't spend more money).

Screw it, maybe i'll just put my TV on the mini-fridge instead and rearrange my room to stack the components on my dresser. Anyways, thanks to everyone for their input.

Glen B
07-15-2005, 12:52 AM
My cd player is actually a cd changer (110 slots). Its bigger than my receiver but definitely lighter. However, it feels quite sturdy, and i've never had a problem before. I've been stacking them with receiver on top for years (even with a dvd player and vcr above that!).

With such a sturdy CD player, receiver on top should be fine.

caniac
07-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I was in this exact situation back when I was in college.

I too was hesitant of putting the components directly on top of the subwoofer, so instead I got some 4x4 posts and built a small shelf. The components go on top, and the subwoofer sits underneath. Just twenty bucks for the wood and a can of black spray paint, and it actually looked pretty good.