Harman Kardon AVR 635 OSD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardon AVR 635 OSD

MCF
07-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I have a Harman Kardon AVR 635. The one thing I don't like about it is that you can only use the full on screen display (OSD) when using an S Video from the reciever to the tv. You need the full OSD to set delays and gains and some other high level menu items. I am fine with this as I just run component from DVD player and cable box and then a single component from the reciever to my tv and I also run an S-video from the reciever to tv. Whenever I want to adjust the menu, I just select S-video source on my tv and I can view/edit the menus. My question is in regards to if I get a plasma tv that has a media box (i.e. Pioneer 1120HD). The only cable running from the media box to the tv will be an HDMI cable. I will run components from the DVD player and cable box to the media box. If I run an S-Video from my reciever to the media box, will I still be able to use the full OSD since an HDMI will be going from media box to plasma screen or will I need to bypass the media box and run an s-video straight from the reciever to the plasma screen to use the full OSD??

BrentMcGhee
07-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Absolutley,
That mediabox is designed to upconvert anything plugged into it through any connection to be output through the HDMI interface going to the tv.

MCF
07-07-2005, 12:26 PM
The media box upconverts. For some reason, HK's OSD will not transmit thru higher resolution cables (like component, etc.). Any tv that has a media box does not have any inputs on the tv itself or I would just run the HDMI from the media box to the tv and an S-video from the reciever to the tv.......