MLV, is it really a must? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MLV, is it really a must?

Aric M L
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Im looking to soundproof the walls of the room I will use for a listening room and I want to know if anyone has succesfully used anythign other than mass-loaded vinyl as a dampening material. That stuff can get a tad pricey and as I like to be frugal if I can any suggestions would be massively appreciated

yogo
07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Here's a link to a very informative site for room conditioning for better bass response.
I've learned tons here.

http://www.realtraps.com/

PAT.P
07-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Im looking to soundproof the walls of the room I will use for a listening room and I want to know if anyone has succesfully used anythign other than mass-loaded vinyl as a dampening material. That stuff can get a tad pricey and as I like to be frugal if I can any suggestions would be massively appreciated
The best for money would be QuietRock www.buildingonline.com/news/viewnews.pl?id=3089 it really works and comes in different lenght .We use this for a church office over a door that went between office .Pat.P

paul_pci
07-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Check out what they have at Acoustical Solutions. I bought two of their AlphaSorb flat, fabric wrapped absorption panels. They'll send you a catalog and a color chart.

www.acousticalsolutions.com

EdwardGein
07-07-2005, 12:57 AM
That's just where I bought my 2 heavy duty AlphaIsolation Pads isolation pads for my sub.
Hey are you free sometime towards the end of next week. I bought the same Denon 3801 for my second receiver & am moving 4 blocks from my place. Can use your help setting the Denon up again & your welcome to try my Harmony Universal remote as well as see what these isolation pads look like & also hear my glass optics cable which I'm sure you'll notice the difference too.

paul_pci
07-07-2005, 09:50 AM
That's just where I bought my 2 heavy duty AlphaIsolation Pads isolation pads for my sub.
Hey are you free sometime towards the end of next week. I bought the same Denon 3801 for my second receiver & am moving 4 blocks from my place. Can use your help setting the Denon up again & your welcome to try my Harmony Universal remote as well as see what these isolation pads look like & also hear my glass optics cable which I'm sure you'll notice the difference too.

Yeah, I think I saw that's where you got your pad. They seem like a good company. Give me a call, not sure how free I'll be or if I'll be outta town.

Aric M L
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Has anyone had any experience trying to make their own panels or soundproofing material? It just doesn't seem like it should be that hard or cost so darn much

PAT.P
07-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Has anyone had any experience trying to make their own panels or soundproofing material? It just doesn't seem like it should be that hard or cost so darn much
Did not make panel for myself but we condemn a door with QuietRock framed it with 2X4 .It all depends how thick you want to do your panels .If I would do them for me I would use 2X2 and put some QuietRock on both side after this I would drill some hole and use some plastic anclor in wall to hold them up .You could use even fireproof drywall this is the cheapest way to build on large scale.Pat.P

paul_pci
07-08-2005, 09:16 AM
there's an article on audioholics.com by some guy who put together his own absorption panels.