Newbie needs a/v receiver help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs a/v receiver help

smittymike
01-03-2004, 08:17 PM
I wanted to replace my dolby receiver (which was 11 years old) with a digital model. So I told my wife to pick me up a home theater receiver for christmas. (She was willing to pay 800 u.s dollars. ) When Christmas came I opened up a sony DA1000 es receiver. I had cut out a copy of a post here for a recommendation of a yamaha that she showed the owner of the shop. He told her she was nuts and did not need to spend that kind of money ($800) for what I wanted and sold her the sony for $500 which he said was just as good. I had a sony for 11 years with absolutely no problems. HOWEVER when i hooked this one up it kept shutting off. He took it back and replaced it. Should i spend the cash for the yamaha? Does it sound better? is it made better? the sony has a 5 year parts warranty which sounds pretty good. Please help cause i can still return it but not for long. Thanks.

TinHere
01-03-2004, 08:56 PM
I wanted to replace my dolby receiver (which was 11 years old) with a digital model. So I told my wife to pick me up a home theater receiver for christmas. (She was willing to pay 800 u.s dollars. ) When Christmas came I opened up a sony DA1000 es receiver. I had cut out a copy of a post here for a recommendation of a yamaha that she showed the owner of the shop. He told her she was nuts and did not need to spend that kind of money ($800) for what I wanted and sold her the sony for $500 which he said was just as good. I had a sony for 11 years with absolutely no problems. HOWEVER when i hooked this one up it kept shutting off. He took it back and replaced it. Should i spend the cash for the yamaha? Does it sound better? is it made better? the sony has a 5 year parts warranty which sounds pretty good. Please help cause i can still return it but not for long. Thanks.

Get the Yamaha RX-V1400 with YPAO, DPLIIx [should say it on the box], video up conversion, and an excellent reputation for reliability and good performance. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, might lead to buyer's remorse, and the Yamaha can help you avoid that. It is more money, and considered good value. Enjoy whatever you decide on.