Logitech Z-5500 vs. Home Theaters in a Box [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Z-5500 vs. Home Theaters in a Box

applenut
07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
'm looking to purchase a decent 5.1 system for my iMac G5 to go in my studio apartment. I have been eyeing the Logitech Z-5500s since they replaced the Z-680s. They get glowing reviews but are pretty expensive. While searching for used ones I overlooked a one day sale Dell was having that had them for 215.99 with free shipping. So that pissed me off and I began exploring other options. So far I've come up with two....

The Yamaha YTH-150 and the Kenwood HTB-S310. These are both "home theaters in-a-box". So, they each have a receiver, 5 speakers and a sub. I can get either for around $240 and hopefully a little less. Right now out of the 3 choices, the kenwood HTB-S310 would be the cheapest. It also seems to be the most feature rich.

The one thing holding me back is the fact that there really are no reviews for either of the HT in a box systems where as there are tons of reviews for the logitech i guess because they are a popular gaming peripheral.

Anyone have any advice/recommendations or even experience with these home theater in a box systems?

I'd like to not spend more than 250 and preferably be closer to 200.

plextor guy
07-05-2005, 04:33 PM
At your price point, I don't think you'll find a more satisfying 5.1 system than the Logitech z5500. Retail brick and mortar chain stores like Comp USA, Fry's, Best Buy and others get 350-400 for them. With coax, toslink and analog inputs, they can be connected to almost anything. The sound quality is excellent in small to medium size rooms. Like every other micro speaker system I've listened to, they can sound a little weak in the midrange but are very smooth otherwise. The sub is a monster. The system can be driven to ear splitting volumes with no noticeable distortion. I've been using the 5500's for several months in a room measuring about 14 X 14 and can say I'm extremely satisfied. I wouldn't buy them used without an extended warranty though. Check out pricegrabber.com. Dell has them new for 239 and change.

applenut
07-05-2005, 09:21 PM
do you feel its a wiser investment to get a real receiver though? Even if its not the best or top of the line receiver it still seems to offer advantages over the Logitech Z-5500. What I want to know is how comparable the sound quality is between the Z-5500 and these theater in a box set ups.

Its so hard to find a review anywhere on these things. Heck, its hard to even find consistent model numbering and specs. Kenwood's website sucks

plextor guy
07-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Sound quality is driven mostly by speakers, speaker placement and room acoustics. Receivers are important but not what I consider a critical link. When buying a receiver, the priorities should be reliability, connections, switching capabilities and amplifier requirements. Features like Yamaha's auto eq feature YPAO are nice extras. Sound quality for a home theater system is less important than for an audio only system. Based on personal experience, when watching a movie most of your concentration will be on dialog, plot and visuals. A receiver in and of itself isn't going to be a wise investment unless you are at the beginning of a system build and plan on adding eqiupment as you can afford it. As for the theater in a box systems, they've gotten a lot better over the last couple of years it sounds like. The only way to satisfy your curiosity is to actually listen to them. If one sounds better to your ear than another, then buy the one you like. At your price point though, you may have a hard time finding one at all, much less one you like. That's why I like the z5500's so much - price and performance.

applenut
07-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Sound quality is driven mostly by speakers, speaker placement and room acoustics. Receivers are important but not what I consider a critical link. When buying a receiver, the priorities should be reliability, connections, switching capabilities and amplifier requirements. Features like Yamaha's auto eq feature YPAO are nice extras. Sound quality for a home theater system is less important than for an audio only system. Based on personal experience, when watching a movie most of your concentration will be on dialog, plot and visuals. A receiver in and of itself isn't going to be a wise investment unless you are at the beginning of a system build and plan on adding eqiupment as you can afford it. As for the theater in a box systems, they've gotten a lot better over the last couple of years it sounds like. The only way to satisfy your curiosity is to actually listen to them. If one sounds better to your ear than another, then buy the one you like. At your price point though, you may have a hard time finding one at all, much less one you like. That's why I like the z5500's so much - price and performance.

well, right now I can get either of the 3 systems for 199.99. Kenwood vs Yamaha vs Logitech

The problem I'm having is that no where seems to sell a wide range of audio products in physical store outlets anymore. best buy has a pathetic range of choices, good guys only carries some brands, and there is no where i can find near me (Bay area) that even has both home theaters in a box.

I guess what I'm asking is, are the logitech's speakers better than the home theater in a box speakers.

plextor guy
07-06-2005, 10:56 AM
The only way to find out is by taking the theater in a box syxtem(s) home and try them out. Buy from a retailer or etailer that has a good return policy. You should google around for reviews as well. CNET, Amazon, Sound and Vision online and so on. The AudioReview forums aren't going to be the best site for reviews of the boxsystems. I still say that at your price point, it won't get much if any better than the z5500's. It is a remarkable system at this price point. Go to Newegg, Amazon or any other site that sells these and read the reviews. Happy hunting.

applenut
07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
thanks for the help.

I'm used to being in NY where I can go downtown and JandR has every system you can imagine for display and demo. Haven't been able to find a similar retailer out here in the bay area.

I may go for the Logitech Z-5500s. I can pick them up today for 199.99 with no tax