Old way or no way! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Old way or no way!

bobaloo624
07-05-2005, 01:47 PM
This is my first post so bear with me, After checking all the Major websites for manufactures of dvr (recorders). Not one shows how to hookup dvd recorder so u can record one program and watch another .Did this with my old vcr can I use the same pricinple have digital cable box, surrond sound system threw out vcr. Maybe a mistake?

N. Abstentia
07-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't think you can do this, since DVD-Recorders don't have a tuner built in. Perhaps you're thinking of Tivo instead?

nightflier
07-05-2005, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't think you can do this, since DVD-Recorders don't have a tuner built in. Perhaps you're thinking of Tivo instead?

DVD-R's with built-in hard drives have built-in tuners and allow you to do just that. Panasonic makes some good ones.

N. Abstentia
07-05-2005, 05:48 PM
I stand corrected then :)

Will they work with a digital cable box?

EdwardGein
07-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I rent my HD DVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300) from Time Warner who provides me with HD cable service and this DVR & as far as I know most DVR's, allows me to watch one HD show and record another, record 2 HD shows at the same time, etc. I can make an external DVD or VHS copy by hooking up my DVD Recorder (Lite On 5001) or VCR, to it. On an earlier model the 8000 series, the DVR could not do this because it wasn't programed to do this. The 8300 records 5.1 sound and as far as I know when you connect it by optic cable to your DVD recorder you can get 5.1 as well. I'm not sure if that answers your question as I'm not entirely clear what your question is.

N. Abstentia
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken he's looking for a DVD recorder that he can hook a digital cable box to and record one program onto a DVD while watching a different channel. Kinda like a Tivo, but recording to a DVD instead.

PAT.P
07-05-2005, 07:56 PM
My Pioneer DVR-220 as a built in tuner ,never use it but after reading this I had to see .Pat.P

EdwardGein
07-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Oh forgot to mention that my Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR is also my cable TV box as well.

bobaloo624
07-06-2005, 01:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken he's looking for a DVD recorder that he can hook a digital cable box to and record one program onto a DVD while watching a different channel. Kinda like a Tivo, but recording to a DVD instead.

Nick thats what I want to do u hit the nail right on the head