London Audio Calling.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : London Audio Calling..

thekid
07-05-2005, 01:12 PM
My dad recently recieved a pair of speakers from a company called "London Audio". Never heard of them but then again I am not a real hard core audiophile. My dad couldnt tell me much other than they appear to be 6-8 ohm bookshelf speakers.

Any advice best way to set these up for optimal performance. They are currently hooked up to the Sony reciever that came with a Sony HT (model 660 I think??) set up.

Jim Clark
07-05-2005, 08:09 PM
My dad recently recieved a pair of speakers from a company called "London Audio". Never heard of them but then again I am not a real hard core audiophile. My dad couldnt tell me much other than they appear to be 6-8 ohm bookshelf speakers.

Any advice best way to set these up for optimal performance. They are currently hooked up to the Sony reciever that came with a Sony HT (model 660 I think??) set up.

The old man got scammed, big time. For optimal performance I'd suggest setting them up in the wood shop/garage/basement or wherever else a decent boombox would ordinarily suffice. I'd think that the original Sony speakers would be far superior (man, I never in my wildest dreams planned on ever typing that).

From the London Audio Website: http://www.londonaudio.com/csalert.htm

Consumer Alert:

London Audio Ltd. has no relation to the "London Audio" speakers currently being sold out of the back of vans and trucks in the United States and Canada. We do not manufacture or sell speakers under the London Audio name.

These "parking lot" speakers are cheaply made under the premise that they are "extras" left over from a previous installation that their "boss" is allowing them to sell. The true value of these speakers is about $150/pr. yet they claim they are worth upwards of $1500/pr. This scam has been running for years with various fabricated speaker names but the story is always the same. These speakers carry no warranty and offer no dealer support!

We recommend purchasing equipment from a reputable dealer who can provide proper sales, service and allow you to hear the products prior to buying.

jc

thekid
07-06-2005, 05:07 AM
You hit it right on the mark. These speakers were bought by my brother in exactly the type of scam you describe. When I hooked them up I thought they sounded like mud (as heavy as the are they are probably filled with mud or rocks). The owners manual seemed particularly vague for supposed high end speakers. My brother insisted on using this as the front speakers in the HT set-up because they had to be better than the Sony's. After seeing your post I know I have got to figure a way to get those things out of there without upsetting some family members.