Summer Tunes are Sublime [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Summer Tunes are Sublime

Snowbunny
07-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Wow, its been 13 years since Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom was released.

I'm sure the album sounds as fresh today as it did in 1992. I wouldn't know. I had no knowledge of the band until I was introduced to them by Sloshie.

This is such a good album and great for summer listening! Described as ska punk, hardcore punk, folk, reggae, dub, rock, hip-hop... well, there's more on this webpage:

http://www.answers.com/topic/40-oz-to-freedomroot

Did anyone know this band when they were new? Was it big news when Bradley Nowell died? Didn't someone release a "G-Rated" version of some of their songs?

Snowie

MomurdA
07-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I heard that album about 12 years ago the first time. Was 13 at the time i think, and i used to listen to it all the time during 'after school activities' ; not the type you see on ABC tho. Still gets a spin on Friday nights/ saturday afternoon once in awhile.

Finch Platte
07-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Wow, its been 13 years since Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom was released.

I'm sure the album sounds as fresh today as it did in 1992. I wouldn't know. I had no knowledge of the band until I was introduced to them by Sloshie.

This is such a good album and great for summer listening! Described as ska punk, hardcore punk, folk, reggae, dub, rock, hip-hop... well, there's more on this webpage:

http://www.answers.com/topic/40-oz-to-freedomroot

Did anyone know this band when they were new? Was it big news when Bradley Nowell died? Didn't someone release a "G-Rated" version of some of their songs?

Snowie

They've got some cool stuff out, alright, and I couldn't tell you what was what. I have a seedeeare someone burned for me, and I have no idea what it is, I just know there's some creativity goin' on on it.

They rival Tupac for most posthumous releases, I think. Saw a DVD in the store the other day, and had no idea if it licked the big, wobbly donkey sack or not. Any recs on what to get? What sucks/bites/snorts/blows and what doesn't?

fp

Snowbunny
07-05-2005, 09:52 PM
They've got some cool stuff out, alright, and I couldn't tell you what was what. I have a seedeeare someone burned for me, and I have no idea what it is, I just know there's some creativity goin' on on it.

They rival Tupac for most posthumous releases, I think. Saw a DVD in the store the other day, and had no idea if it licked the big, wobbly donkey sack or not. Any recs on what to get? What sucks/bites/snorts/blows and what doesn't?

fp

I've only got Sublime - Sublime and 40 oz to Freedom. Of the two, I probably like 40 oz best. But if I were you I'd just buy one of the posthumous re-releases that includes all (3?) of their albums.

I should start a poll to see how many people here have heard Sublime. I'm not sure if everyone knows them, and could care less, or doesn't know them, and could care even lesser.

Snowie

Hey PinchFlatulence, check out our newest mountiain bike park - http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=2652

Finch Platte
07-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Hey PinchFlatulence, check out our newest mountiain bike park - http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=2652

As much as I enjoy riding, that looks like an ugly strip mine travesty. :eek:

Thanks, I think.

fp

Stone
07-06-2005, 04:04 AM

I think Jeff Buckley might be rivaling Tupac too. I hope Elliott Smith doesn't get that same treatment. It seems to cheapen what they did while they were alive.

As far as Sublime goes, I'm no help. The only one I have is 40 Oz., and while I like it (and listened to part of it this morning), I have no desire to get any more Sublime records.

Snowbunny
07-06-2005, 07:18 AM
As much as I enjoy riding, that looks like an ugly strip mine travesty. :eek:

Thanks, I think.

fp

Heheheh... it did just open on Friday! The press was there for the first run where on of the experienced riders ended up in hospital! It really is a pretty ride!

KEXPMF
07-06-2005, 08:57 AM
13 years!! wow.
I was living in Southern California then. I love Sublime. Always have. I used to go see them at small clubs. A Sublime show was a hit or miss thing sometimes - usually a hit. Sometimes Bradley was pretty out of it. I met him once very briefly, but I have friends who know him and they were extremely torn up by his death. Apparently he was a sweet guy.
Most Sublime shows I saw were GREAT. Bradley was one of those people who has such SOUL. I almost put him in a category with Bob Marley in that respect. Bradley sampled a lot of course but the guy had SERIOUS talent.
I remember getting the news of his death. I still lived in California but I was in New York with my friend (whom I had turned on to the band and whom I made go to see them with me at Wetlands in NYC) told me the news. I was first in shock and then in tears when I heard. He had a newborn baby. I kept thinking of his baby and his dog (a dalmation) that went everywhere (even on the stage!!) with him. I have a fond memory of watching a Sublime show, the dog was napping under the stage. A then relatively unknown No Doubt was in the audience. Gwen was dancing and singing along. Standing near me. It was a normal night in Orange County. Weird to remember it now, since both bands got so big later.
(She sings a duet with Bradley on one of the Sublime albums. Bradley is also a guest on one of No Doubt's early albums, "The Beacon Street Album" --- which was the little house they lived in and in which it was recorded)

My favorite Sublime album is "Robbin' the Hood"

MomurdA
07-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Robbin the Hood is probably their best album.