Speaker scheme? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker scheme?

Susie Q
07-05-2005, 01:56 AM
:confused: How do I tell if my Pioneer speakers have a dedicated or proprietary connection scheme? I'm trying to upgrade my receiver. Thanks

kexodusc
07-05-2005, 03:22 AM
Not sure I follow the question, but I think you're asking if your speakers can be used with a new receiver?
If there's both a red and black clip or binding post terminal on the speaker to accept to speaker cables, you'll should be okay.

kfalls
07-05-2005, 05:05 AM
I think what is meant by a dedicated or proprietary system is whether the satellites connect directly to the receiver or through the speaker system's sub/bass or amplifier module. A Bose LifeStyle system would be a dedicated system. A Paradigm powered reference system would also be dedicated since the receiver provides only the input signal and the speaker itself provides the amplification. Other high-end systems provide their own amplification, Meridian, Wilson, etc...

kexodusc
07-05-2005, 05:18 AM
Yeah I figured that much, but if the powered speaker has rca inputs or a normal speaker has input terminals, it should be able to work with any receiver...

Susie Q
07-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Sorry about the confusion of my question. All 5 speakers plus the Sub is connected by speaker wire so I can use these speakers and buy a new receiver only?

markw
07-06-2005, 03:09 AM
HT receivers use "powered" subwoofers, which use a round plug on both ends and also require it be plugged into a wall outlet. Is your subwoofer like this?

If not, then do all six "speaker wires" plug directly into the back of the receiver or do some plug into the subwoofer?

I hinted at this in your earlier post but you never responded sufficiently.

There's hope for using your speakers a but you've got to supply a little more detail than you have so far if you expect us to be able to help you.

Susie Q
07-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks again for your help. The subwoofer does not have a seperate plug. All 5 speakers and sub are connected by speaker wire that goes directly into the receiver. If you need any other info,please let me know. As you can tell I am new to this stuff. Thanks..

markw
07-07-2005, 02:52 AM
The 5 speakers plug into the receiver with 2 conductor speaker wire, right?

Does the sub plug into the receiver with the same two conductor speaker wire also?

Susie Q
07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
That is correct. All of the speakers plus the sub connect to the receiver by speaker wire.

markw
07-07-2005, 01:46 PM
see how easy that was?

Susie Q
07-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Yes it was. So can I pick your brain one last time. So why wouldn't my current subwoofer work? Is it because it's designed for that specific Pioneer receiver only? So purchasing a powered sub I need only to match the watts & ohms of the new receiver? Thanks again.

markw
07-08-2005, 03:05 AM
From what you describe, apparantly, the HTIB had a sub amp built in, which is not the norm.

The watts and ohms of powered subs are immaterial to whatever receiver you buy. Don't agonize too much over specs when picking out a powered sub. Just go for the best you can afford.