Looking for a Sub on a budget... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Sub on a budget...

thekid
07-04-2005, 06:28 AM
I am looking for help in buyimg a inexpensive sub to for my HT set-up in my family room (16x20).

My budget is in the $200 range ( I know-I know but until the kids are thru college or I win the lottery that is what I live with...) I already have a Sony Sub but it seems a bit boomy which is fine for movies but not so much for music. I have Bose 201's in front-Bose 161's in back and a Bose Center channel ( Bose bashers please need not respond to this note!-I bought them for a variety of reasons-including personal prefernce and let's leave it at that!)
The reciever is a Panasonic HE-70 . Any help on a new sub or constructive suggestions on how to tweak the current sub would help.

anamorphic96
07-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Sony makes a great dual 10" sub for around 200. The Cadence 12" sub on E-Bay is supposed to be great at 229.

Polk makes some inexpensive subs as well for under 200. But these are not that powerful like the others are.

Hsu Research's STF-1 will knock your socks off but costs 299. Which is above where you want to be. But it sure sounds great and is worth the stretch if you ask me.

thekid
07-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Sony makes a great dual 10" sub for around 200. The Cadence 12" sub on E-Bay is supposed to be great at 229.

Polk makes some inexpensive subs as well for under 200. But these are not that powerful like the others are.

Hsu Research's STF-1 will knock your socks off but costs 299. Which is above where you want to be. But it sure sounds great and is worth the stretch if you ask me.

Thanks! Any idea where I can find the HSU sub? Is it strictly an on-line deal or can they be found in retail stores.

oddeoowphil38
07-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Hello there thought I would offer you my .02 here. I would check out the 10" sub over at hometheaterdirect.com. I think it is like $279 which is close to your budget. Home Theater Direct also has an 8" sub that is offered with their "middies" package for $179. Hsu has an 8" for like $299. Personally, I would stay away from the Sony subs if it were me. Anyways, hope this helps and good luck in your descision. Have a good 4th.
Phil

thekid
07-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks! Will make the visits based on your note. I am not really firm on the $200 limit but as I have found with many speakers there is not (to my ears anyway) always significant differences when you go right to the top end cost-wise compared to some of what can be found out there for far less. I am still relativly new to this area and the diversity (and in some cases-brand bias is even worse than in the automotive field that I work in) of opinion is pretty amazing.

anamorphic96
07-04-2005, 07:19 AM
HSU is an online dealer but are worth the risk if you ask me. I have not heard a bad sub from this company.

In regards to the Sony. I normally dont endorse there products at all but this sub is an exception. It comes in at well over 50 lbs and can dish out tight, deep bass with authority. Sony did there homework on this one for some reason, and it pays off. Especially at this ridiculous price. Like I said I normally dont endorse there products but this a sleeper product.

Here is a link to the Sony sub. Ignore the price. That would be the MSRP. Check Circuit City and Best Buy and its closer to 200.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=hav_HiFiComponents_Speakers&ProductSKU=SAWX700&TabName=specs&var2=

thekid
07-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Radio Shack has/had a Sony SW-250 on sale for $79 but it appears it is similar to what I have just 15watts higher. Do you know the model of the Sony you mention?

oddeoowphil38
07-04-2005, 09:34 AM
No problemo at all. Glad I could help. Although do keep in mind one way or another you do get what you pay for. As Anamorphic mentioned the Sony SA-WX700 is really not a bad deal. It has (2) 10" subs---one active while the other functions as a passive radiator in order to tighten it up a little and to offer better bass extension as well. However, according to the Circuit City website it is not $200-it is more like closer to $300. I have had the opportunity to hear this sub and for it being made by Sony it is not bad. Kinda boomy and not as controlled producing the punchier more articulate bass I prefer. It also is very large especially for only being a 10" sub. Personally, I would by the HTD LevelI sub before I would the Sony. With all things considered I would get the Hsu 8" sub because it is very hard to beat Hsu or SVS subs for the money in any brand. I hope to soon own the SVS PB10-ISD for $429 which is a 10" sub and get rid of my Paradigm PS1000 v.4. Another strong contender is the Hsu STF-2 for $399. Good luck with your choice. Keep us posted. If you have anymore questions that I can answer let me know.
Phil