Denon 3805 and B&W 805S [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon 3805 and B&W 805S

mika
07-04-2005, 02:40 AM
I'm thinking of buying the new b&w 805s and use them for music.For amplification i'm thinking of buying denon 3805.Will they play ok?What do you think?
Does anyone know if i can hook them to denon's plugs as "A" front speakers and use a speaker package for ht and hook the front speaker of the package at the "B" speaker plugs?Is everything going to work ok?
Thank you for your time

drseid
07-04-2005, 03:02 AM
While I have never been a fan of having receivers (even very good ones like the 3805) drive higher-end speakers as a general rule, the bottom line answer is "yes." The question I would pose though is whether that sound would be optimal...? In that case, I would answer "no."

If you could get a separate power amp like maybe a cheapy (but not cheap sounding) used Rotel 2 channel on Audiogon for a couple hundred bucks, that still may not be "optimal" but it sure would be better...

Finally, I should ask if you have heard the 805S speakers yet... I only ask because there are a lot of speakers at that price point that could offer alternative sound qualities depending on your personal preferences...

---Dave

mika
07-05-2005, 01:23 AM
No i haven't heard these speakers yet,but i will in a few days.
I had this idea because i have read so many good reviews about them.
I am also going to audition some other equipment and decide afterwards.
Anyway,thanks for your time Dave

topspeed
07-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Like Dave said, it will work, but that's about it. Think of it this way; it would be like having a Ferrari F430 at your disposal but with access to only the first 2 gears. Sure, it will still get you from Point A to Point B, but it would be a lot more exhilarating if you could wring out gears 3, 4, 5, and 6, right?

I tried running my CDM 7NT's with a 3803 with middling results. The magic just wasn't there. After adding a 2 channel amp, all was right with the world. If you find you really like the 805's after auditioning them, you should seriously consider driving them with something a little more appropriate than a receiver (for music at least).

Hope this helps.

upsetdog
07-06-2005, 10:01 PM
I have a pair of B&W 805's and have had them for about a year and a half. I ran them with a Denon 4802. This receiver has more then enough power and it made the 805's sing. With the proper cables and source gear I had no problems. Until I replaced the Denon with the Anthem AVM30 pre-pro. The difference was jaw dropping. The B&W's came alive like you would not believe. Detail, and I mean the background riffs that weren't there before. Quiet vocal passages that make you back the cd up to see if what you heard is what you heard. As good as that big Denon is, the Anthem kicked it's ass. There is something to separates. If you can, check out a good preamp. If you like music like I do,don't ask yourself what does it cost. Ask yourself what's it's worth. To me, 365 days of pleasure.

csukasem
07-22-2005, 06:05 PM
I am using 805s and trust me the speaker of this class is more than worth going with separates.