how heavy a center channel can I put on my TV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how heavy a center channel can I put on my TV?

agtpunx40
07-01-2005, 06:42 AM
I have a Toshiba 51h84 tv, and was curious about how heavy a center channel the top can safely hold. The manual doesn't seem to have any limits or anything listed anywhere. I have a Paradigm Studio CC v2, it weighs about 30-35 pounds. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

PAT.P
07-01-2005, 07:55 AM
I have a Toshiba 51h84 tv, and was curious about how heavy a center channel the top can safely hold. The manual doesn't seem to have any limits or anything listed anywhere. I have a Paradigm Studio CC v2, it weighs about 30-35 pounds. That shouldn't be a problem, right?
Should'nt be a problem the weight is distribute all around.If you want just buy one of the shelf that can de added on top of TV .Pat.P

kfalls
07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a Legacy Silver Screen center channel which weighs approx 45lbs. I had it setting on top of my Pioneer PRO-100 for many years without harming the speaker or the TV. I replaced it with a Hitachi 57S715 which doesn't have a top shelf to set it on. I currently have the center sitting on a speaker stand below the TV's screen. It works and sounds good, but is a bit in the way.

Woochifer
07-01-2005, 10:39 AM

That really depends on the TV. I have an old Mitsubishi 32" direct view CRT and put a Studio CC right on top of that with no problem. With the CRT RPTVs, I would assume that most of them can also easily support a center speaker on top.

With a lot of the newer slim profile RPTVs, the top is not wide enough to support a center speaker to begin with, and I've heard that with others the screen frame can warp if subjected to any significant weight. Generally, the bigger CRT RPTVs will support a center speaker, while with the LCD and DLP RPTVs, the cabinets are typically not wide enough for a center speaker. Those would be the ones to watch out for if you're looking for a way to support the center speaker with the TV. As someone else mentioned, you could always add a shelf, and some manufacturers make ones that attach to the TV (it does add weight, but it redistributes some of the weight towards onto the back of the TV).

agtpunx40
07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
well, my tv has an extended top in the center that seems to be there for the purpose of center channel speakers. I am more worried about the weight issue. I guess I'll call toshiba and get an official word.