Nitty Gritty [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nitty Gritty

Arturo7
06-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Although it is difficult to tell sometimes, I can be a bit anal. OK, I'm usually a sloth but sometimes I'm anal?

Today I picked up a Nitty Gritty 1.0 and I'm having a cleaning session this evening. Also picked up a couple boxes of inner sleeves. From what I've garnered from this and other forums, this is a necessary detail after a thorough cleaning.

Oh, the MMF-7 arrived today too!

Needless to say I'm having a good night...

Art

Edit: Oops, I meant to post this in the "how do you treat your vinyl" thread.

squeegy200
07-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Nice, this will be a late night for you.

I know some people who go thru their entire collection with their machine. I just clean it before I play it.

Jimmy C
07-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Although it is difficult to tell sometimes, I can be a bit anal. OK, I'm usually a sloth but sometimes I'm anal?

Today I picked up a Nitty Gritty 1.0 and I'm having a cleaning session this evening. Also picked up a couple boxes of inner sleeves. From what I've garnered from this and other forums, this is a necessary detail after a thorough cleaning.

Oh, the MMF-7 arrived today too!

Needless to say I'm having a good night...

Art

Edit: Oops, I meant to post this in the "how do you treat your vinyl" thread.

...on your new toys! I also have the 1.0 and to me, that's all one needs. I'm not so lazy I can't squirt on the fluid...

Make sure you get your obligitory copy of Donald ***an's "Nightfly" ;^P

Actually, it is pretty good stuff...

Jimmy C
07-02-2005, 07:30 AM
I guess I'm not allowed to use that synonym for "cigarette" around here...

Arturo7
07-02-2005, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=Jimmy C]

QUOTE]

JC, funny you should mention this. I was a 'Dan fan back in the day so of course I have it on vinyl. Then, when I purchased my CD player c1990, "Nightfly" was one of the first discs I picked up. Since this is one of the few releases I have on both vinyl and CD, it was the chosen candidate for the "digital vs. analog" comparison. Denon DCD 3520 vs. Music Hall MMF-7.

I listened to "Ruby" first from the CD, then the vinyl. To my amazement, except for the CD being a touch brighter, there was not much difference. Next I cued up "Maxine" with the CD about 10 secs ahead of the vinyl. This allowed me to listen passage by passage, phrase by phrase. Same result. Where was the "warmer" analog sound? The more detailed vocals? The deeper soundstage? Surely there would be a noticeable difference in timbre?

Needless to say I was stunned. Was all this analog talk BS? Is my CD player that good? Maybe I need a tube phono-pre to get the full effect. The I picked up the liner notes from the vinyl; "Recorded entirely on 3M digital 32 track and 4 track machines..."

DOH!! So much for the great "analog vs. digital" battle. For now anyways. :)

Art

Jimmy C
07-02-2005, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Jimmy C]

QUOTE]

JC, funny you should mention this. I was a 'Dan fan back in the day so of course I have it on vinyl. Then, when I purchased my CD player c1990, "Nightfly" was one of the first discs I picked up. Since this is one of the few releases I have on both vinyl and CD, it was the chosen candidate for the "digital vs. analog" comparison. Denon DCD 3520 vs. Music Hall MMF-7.

I listened to "Ruby" first from the CD, then the vinyl. To my amazement, except for the CD being a touch brighter, there was not much difference. Next I cued up "Maxine" with the CD about 10 secs ahead of the vinyl. This allowed me to listen passage by passage, phrase by phrase. Same result. Where was the "warmer" analog sound? The more detailed vocals? The deeper soundstage? Surely there would be a noticeable difference in timbre?

Needless to say I was stunned. Was all this analog talk BS? Is my CD player that good? Maybe I need a tube phono-pre to get the full effect. The I picked up the liner notes from the vinyl; "Recorded entirely on 3M digital 32 track and 4 track machines..."

DOH!! So much for the great "analog vs. digital" battle. For now anyways. :)

Art

...first table in a while? If so, it may take some time (and a selection of LPs) to figure out what it's all about. Some LPs are crappy, just like CDs. This is not the case with Dan or Donald, but in general...

Don't forget, Steely Dan were sort of audiophiles - both formats should be good! This is one of the few bands that actually had a say in the recording process. You're right - some of the same recordings on different formats CAN indeed sound similar. I don't have "Nightfly" on the silver disc, but I have experienced differences ranging from almost none to dramatic. I have, however, done comparisons with Miles Davis, Weather Report, Talking Heads (and probably a few more) and the vinyl almost always wins - there is something to the texture and solidity of instruments. They seem to have more body and bite. Again, not all records are going to be superior. Give it some time...

I can't say I noticed a monster difference on my Grado after a bit of run-in, but you might at least consider loosening up the cantalever (sp?) a bit as well as making sure set-up is good. I believe the 7 comes ready, but ya never know. More than likely it's fine.

And yeah, the hardware... a better stage would be great. I haven't heard the 7, but I have heard the 5, the Pro-Ject 1.2 and 2.1 as well as my Perspective (ya think?). IF your cart follows the same sonic suit as the lower models, you might find that supplied cart a bit mellow. I forgot what it comes with (Erotica?), and again, I haven't heard it... just a possibility. You can tweak with the stage.

I would just relax, buy some 'ole vinyl and let your ears adjust.

Arturo7
07-03-2005, 04:52 PM
...first table in a while?

I would just relax, buy some 'ole vinyl and let your ears adjust.

This is my first table in about 20 years. As for buying vinyl, I been out of control on eBay. I think I have about 150 LPs on the way. This includes 2 lots of 30 and one lot of 50. Also stopped in at a local used vinyl store that was having a half price sale. Needless to say the Nitty Gritty has been busy.

One of these recent purchases was Sarah Vaughn Golden Hits on Mercury in excellent condition. OMFG! The level of detail in her voice was amazing! The soundstage was deep and the dynamic range was quite impressive. Never heard anything like that coming out of my stereo.

As far as analog goes, I saw the light! Can I get an amen?

Art

Arturo7
07-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Dug through my old vinyl and found Wynton Marsalis "Think of One," which I also have on CD. Another chance for the A vs D shoot out.

Results: Same as the last. Another digitally recorded release. Although I must say the cymbals sounded better on the LP than the CD. You could hear more of the stick's contact with the symbal. Some of the hits on the CD were all "splash."