Hey FA (and other Jeff Wayne fans) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey FA (and other Jeff Wayne fans)

Dusty Chalk
06-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Did you see what's being re-released on Tuesday?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009MAPV8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

On SACD no less. Too bad I can't afford the above special edition, but I will be getting the regular one.

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Very cool. Thanks for letting me know Dusty. I just got back from seeing the movie. I'd give it (the movie) 2.5 out of 5. It was okay. Some good effects and interesting camera angles. Great use of sound to build suspense. But, all in all, if you're into this kind of movie, Signs was waaaaay better.

If you are planning on seeing this, do it while it's still in the theatre. It'll suck at home...unless you've got a really good home theatre set-up.

BarryL
07-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Did you see what's being re-released on Tuesday?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009MAPV8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

On SACD no less. Too bad I can't afford the above special edition, but I will be getting the regular one.

Did you ever hear his follow-up to this: Spartacus.

I didn't even know he had done a follow-up. Perhaps it was never released in North America. I'd be interested in hearing it.

BarryL
07-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Great use of sound to build suspense.

How was the John Williams soundtrack? Would it stand alone as a soundtrack without the visuals?

ForeverAutumn
07-01-2005, 08:08 AM
How was the John Williams soundtrack? Would it stand alone as a soundtrack without the visuals?

The soundtrack was great for building suspense, but I don't think it would stand up on it's own. I was more focused on the visuals and the sound provided more of a backdrop. But it didn't really seem to be music. It was more along the lines of the Jaws theme. It was kind of monotone but you knew that it was building up to something.

Troy
07-01-2005, 08:31 AM
I heard a cut from that WOTW album on the radio this week. Sounded like Moody Blues interspersed with overly dramatic Richard Burton naration.

The DJ said that it was the "justin Heyward track", but what's the rest of the disc like?

Dusty Chalk
07-01-2005, 11:21 AM
I heard a cut from that WOTW album on the radio this week. Sounded like Moody Blues interspersed with overly dramatic Richard Burton naration.

The DJ said that it was the "justin Heyward track", but what's the rest of the disc like?Well, the rest is like the music with the overly dramatic Richard Burton narration and with other singers. Lots of story-telling interspersed with songs. Phil Lynott, Julie Covington, David Essex, amongst others. Really great cast. Compelling listening.

In other words, if the Richard Burton narration was a turn-off, stay far far away from this. But to people like me, ...well, let's put it this way, Patrick Stewart can learn things from Burton, and I like Patrick Stewart.

3-LockBox
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM

The DJ said that it was the "justin Heyward track", but what's the rest of the disc like?

I cannot believe that you (of all people) haven't heard or own this CD already.

But your initial impressions of the music are pretty right-on. I heard this for the first time 20 years ago so it was kinda cool at the time, but it doesn't hold up to any real scrutiny. I suggest someone burn you a copy of it before plopping down any serious cash for the re-release. I am however curious to know if there is any real improvement in sound quality, since the CD was in need of an overhaul 'mastering wise', IMO.

MY puter is still fritzed or I'd offer (I'm using the public library until mine's fixed or replaced).

C-Z
07-04-2005, 01:01 PM
I was peeking at this last week. If I do it, it'll surely be the SACD one, especially if there is a CD layer on it so I can make a CDR for my cartunes. Unless it is way too many $$$$ - what do they want for it?

The music and naration may be dated or over the top or whatever for someone listening for the first time, but I don't care cause this one brings back great memories for me. My brother made me a cassette when it first came out, and it was in my car player every road trip for years.

I'm ignorant - what else has Jeff Wayne done?

FA - I also really liked Signs, and the DVD soundtrack remains one of the best sounding ones I have ever heard. This includes great, not over the top effects that put you right in the scenes and add tremendously. Like the dogs barking, followed by the wind rustling the corn in the opening section, etc...

ForeverAutumn
07-04-2005, 03:05 PM
FA - I also really liked Signs, and the DVD soundtrack remains one of the best sounding ones I have ever heard. This includes great, not over the top effects that put you right in the scenes and add tremendously. Like the dogs barking, followed by the wind rustling the corn in the opening section, etc...

I can't say that I noticed Signs having a very interesting soundtrack either. Thanks for the tip. For me, what made Signs great was that one scene in the basement where the only light was the flashlight. Brilliant! Probably my favourite movie scene ever.

Dusty Chalk
07-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Unholy carp, seven disks? I have to get this.

3-LockBox
07-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Very cool. Thanks for letting me know Dusty. I just got back from seeing the movie. I'd give it (the movie) 2.5 out of 5. It was okay. Some good effects and interesting camera angles. Great use of sound to build suspense. But, all in all, if you're into this kind of movie, Signs was waaaaay better.

If you are planning on seeing this, do it while it's still in the theatre. It'll suck at home...unless you've got a really good home theatre set-up.

Certainly, 'Signs' did a more clever job of creating menace with very few special effects, particularly the basement scene, but I found WOTW to be a very involving movie even though I know the story backwards and forwards. This movie had way more heart and soul than did its 'clone', <i>Independance Day</i>, which was downright dopey in places, and was inappropriately lighthearted throughout.

My only beef with the new WOTW, is why Speilberg found the need to change the beginning story line to suggest that the machines had been planted here eons ago, but never went any farther than the suggestion...WTF? It was an unnecessary, underdeveloped and useless plot devise. Otherwise, it was an appropriately dark movie and well done.

And did anyone notice Gene Berry from the '50s version toward the end? I did.