Hey Fellow Canadians [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Fellow Canadians

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Happy Canada Day!!!

I know that I'm a day early but I was afraid that you would all be partying at various festivities tomorrow and might miss this post.

What's your best "Canadian" experience?

Here are a few of mine...

1) Driving through Algonquin Park in Northern Ontario in the spring and seeing several moose (adults and babies) wandering along the side of the road.

2) Standing at the corner of Portage and Main, in Winnipeg, in January when it was -35C. (for my American friends, Portage and Main has been pegged the windiest corner in Canada...in my experience, this is true).

3) Spotting Geddy Lee in a downtown parking lot (I had to make this thread music related somehow :) ).

BarryL
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

3) Spotting Geddy Lee in a downtown parking lot (I had to make this thread music related somehow :) ).

Let's see:

1. Sharing a table alone with Sylvia Tyson at a Tom Russell performance in Toronto.

2. Having lunch a number of times with Gordon Lightfoot in a downtown foodcourt where he like to eat lunch after working out.

3. Camping near Lake Louise in the Rockie Mountains

4. Visiting Peggy's Cove while there was a bus load of geriatric tourists who were farting the whole time!

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2005, 09:46 AM
4. Visiting Peggy's Cove while there was a bus load of geriatric tourists who were farting the whole time!

LMAO!!! At least you weren't IN the bus with them. :D

DarrenH
06-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, I'm not Canadian but happy Canada Day eh.

My best Canadian experience was when my wife and I drove highway 17 from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay and back. Beautiful country up that way. The highlight for me was the hiking excersion in Pukaskwa National Park. Other stops included some trading post near Pancake Bay, Montreal River Harbour, Rainbow Falls Provencial Park, Ouimet Canyon Provencial Park and some amethyst mine (forget the name) near Thunder Bay where we dug for our own rocks. My wife is quite the rock hound and mineral collector. Anyway, we didn't do this all in one day. We had a hotel in Wawa and the trip covered a nice long weekend.

Twenty years ago, when I was in the U.S. Navy, our ship had a port-of-call in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We spent a few days there getting drunker than a barrell of monkeys. That was some good damn beer boy, O'Keefs iirc.

And I got the package you sent me FA filled with wonderful tunes. Many thanks.

Darren

Snowbunny
06-30-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm not a fellow but I am...

Snowbunny
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
One of my favourite "ONLY IN CANADA" moments was scuba-diving through a heart-shaped hole in the ice at a frozen lake in February.

And then drinking lots of Canadian beer to warm up. :D

BarryL
06-30-2005, 11:35 AM
One of my favourite "ONLY IN CANADA" moments was scuba-diving through a heart-shaped hole in the ice at a frozen lake in February.

And then drinking lots of Canadian beer to warm up. :D

A scuba bunny, eh?

Hyfi
06-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Best place must have been Brights Winery Tour or dinner at The Prince of Whales.

The flowers along the parkway both ways out of Niagra along with a few out of the way parks.

I did spend a few days in Toronto 10 years ago at a dairy packing plant, reverse engineering a machine for packaging coffee creamers....oh boy! I did drive into the downtown area after being duped by the tourist map that made it look like 5 minutes from the airport area. I went to a few High End audio stores before sitting in a few hour traffic jam along the Queens Parkway.

Happy Canaduh Day!

Hyfi

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I did spend a few days in Toronto 10 years ago at a dairy packing plant, reverse engineering a machine for packaging coffee creamers....oh boy! I did drive into the downtown area after being duped by the tourist map that made it look like 5 minutes from the airport area. I went to a few High End audio stores before sitting in a few hour traffic jam along the Queens Parkway.

Happy Canaduh Day!

Hyfi

Yeah, we have the nicest dairy packing plants on the continent, eh. :rolleyes:

C'mon back to Toronto and I'll help ya build some memories worth remembering. :)

Troy
06-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah, eh? Happy days.

My Canada memory:

On a cross country camping trip my wife and I were going to cross into Canada from Montana, just east of Glacier NP. When we got to the border crossing in our overloaded Nissan pick up, the guards decided that WE had to be the example of the hour. They pulled us over and made us empty the entire truck. Keep in mind we had been living in the thing for 2 months, so it was full, disheveled and FUNKY. Even made us empty our laundry. Buried at the end of the cab was a box full of fireworks we bought in a roadside stand in Missouri. We were gonna bring them home for the upcoming July 4th party. When the border nazis found that box, you would have thought the'd found a box full of heroin. Yeesh, what a pack of officious turds. Said we had to either surrender them or turn around. We turned around and have never been back.

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Yeah, eh? Happy days.

My Canada memory:

On a cross country camping trip my wife and I were going to cross into Canada from Montana, just east of Glacier NP. When we got to the border crossing in our overloaded Nissan pick up, the guards decided that WE had to be the example of the hour. They pulled us over and made us empty the entire truck. Keep in mind we had been living in the thing for 2 months, so it was full, disheveled and FUNKY. Even made us empty our laundry. Buried at the end of the cab was a box full of fireworks we bought in a roadside stand in Missouri. We were gonna bring them home for the upcoming July 4th party. When the border nazis found that box, you would have thought the'd found a box full of heroin. Yeesh, what a pack of officious turds. Said we had to either surrender them or turn around. We turned around and have never been back.

I tipped 'em off. :p

daigoro
06-30-2005, 02:34 PM
...I bought Strange Brew on DVD for $7.50 at Walmart today. Does that count?

Other than that my only encounters are the occasional Rush concert.

BTW, you guys are pouring an S load of money into the San Diego area. Half the high rises downtown is being built by the Great White North.

Geoffcin
07-01-2005, 02:08 AM
You guys make good beer, and better comedians.

I'm going to Montreal in a few weeks. Viva La Canada!

JohnMichael
07-01-2005, 04:46 AM
Happy Canada Day

Thank you Canada for all the great musical artists. I will be visiting Quebec City and Montreal this month. This will be our sixth trip to Quebec in seven years. We love the food, art, architecture and of course the people.

Slosh
07-01-2005, 07:28 AM
I got some kind of Canadian candy and a can of ale or something from Snowbunny once. I've been to Quebec once but I was 8 so I don't really remember much about it. Does that sum up Canada? Not worth remembering :confused: ;)

Stone
07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
My best Canada story is going to Toronto to see Gretzky play in his last season (with the Rangers). The night before the game we went to his restaurant, and he and about half the team, plus John Davidson and some other media types were in the restaurant. Wayne was in his own private room, but he did walk right by me when he left. Most of the others sat at tables right next to us.

Dusty Chalk
07-01-2005, 02:14 PM
I got nuthin'.

Geoffcin
07-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Happy Canada Day

Thank you Canada for all the great musical artists. I will be visiting Quebec City and Montreal this month. This will be our sixth trip to Quebec in seven years. We love the food, art, architecture and of course the people.

I didn't plan on hitting Quebec City, but it might be an option.

DariusNYC
07-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Happy Canada Day!

Coincidentally, I happen to be Vancouver on vacation as I type. And I was on Vancouver Island for a couple days before that.

Great country you got here! Everyone's so nice.

But I'm not so into The Tragically Hip.

Best,

Darius

ForeverAutumn
07-02-2005, 12:17 PM

Quebec City is about a 2 hour drive from Montreal. But well worth it if you have the time. Old Quebec City is very historical and is the closest thing that you will find to an old European city in North America. Most of the residents are French speaking, but you'll easily get by with only English.

Lots of shops and narrow cobblestone streets. Although most of the shops are just huge tourist traps selling cheap t-shirts and other crap, the architecture of old buildings is beautiful. In the middle of the city is the Citadel. The old city is just beyond the citadel and the original walls are still up. The entire old city is contained withing the walls, so you must pass through the gates to enter the city.

Montreal itself is a beautiful city with it's own old city, history and architecture. But at the same time, is more of a large business centre than Quebec. I'm sure that you'll have a great time either way.

The attached link is a good web site for Quebec City.
http://www.quebecheritage.com/en/

JohnMichael
07-02-2005, 12:50 PM

ForeverAutumn is correct in her description of the city. I am a photographer and I love the architecture. The old city behind the walls is the most interesting to me. You can take walking tours of the city and cover a lot of ground easily. I have never found a bad restaurant and I have been to many. I always recomend St. Patricks Irish Pub for good beer and music. I enjoy the old military sights and all the incredible churches. They have an area which is mostly antiques and art galleries. The Petite Champlain is an excellent shopping area in the lower city and then you can take the Funiculaire to the upper city and visit the Chateau Frontenac. If you are not sure about staying in Quebec there are several tours from Montreal to Quebec and back again that will allow you to see the city. Also a VIA rail trip from Montreal to Quebec is a nice way to get to the city if you do not want to drive and just relax. As you can tell I am very excited about getting back to my favorite city.