OK indie hipsters....gimmie some indie to tell someone realitively new about... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK indie hipsters....gimmie some indie to tell someone realitively new about...

nobody
06-30-2005, 06:55 AM
I know someone who says he's starting to get into indie rock, but I know he hasn't heard a whole lot, mostly just stuff coming out recently and all. So...I was thinking I could get some good suggestions from here to let him in on. I'm thinking about maybe a top five indie records from the 90s until today. C'mon, what are the indie rock essentials that people need to know about. In know you know, so tell me.

-Jar-
06-30-2005, 07:32 AM
I know someone who says he's starting to get into indie rock, but I know he hasn't heard a whole lot, mostly just stuff coming out recently and all. So...I was thinking I could get some good suggestions from here to let him in on. I'm thinking about maybe a top five indie records from the 90s until today. C'mon, what are the indie rock essentials that people need to know about. In know you know, so tell me.

Independent Releases here..

Slint - SPIDERLAND
Pavement - CROOKED RAIN (SLANTED might be too raw)
Yo La Tengo - I CAN HEAR THE HEART BEATING AS ONE
Sunny Day Real Estate - DIARY
and something heavy..
The Jesus Lizard - LIAR

Major label "indie" stuff:

Built to Spill - KEEP IT LIKE A SECRET
The Flaming Lips - THE SOFT BULLETIN
Mercury Rev - DESERTER'S SONGS
Hum - DOWNWARD IS HEAVENWARD
Stereolab - DOTS AND LOOPS

Stone
06-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Not sure which way to go with this, but it's probably best to ease him in, so I'd go with safe stuff like:

Spoon - Girls Can Tell
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
Wilco - YFH
Elliott Smith - either/or

Looking at a little less safe:

Refused - The Shape of Punk To Come
Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Archers of Loaf - Icky Mettle
Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Snowbunny
06-30-2005, 08:37 AM

That's easy! Give him/her copies of some of the indie comps produced by the Indie Hipsters around here.

Last winter one of the lift operators at Sun Peaks asked what I was listening to on my player. I think it was Bjork. The next time up the lift I asked him what he listened to. He was a big TOOL fan and I nicknamed him "Raggedy Andy" since he had one of those awful, stringy beards so many 20-something's seem to favour. (That and his name was Andy.)

Well, I told him to check out some websites and he admitted that he didn't have access to a computer, or the money to buy new music.

So when I went up on Christmas day, I dropped off a bunch of comp copies for him at the staff room, (based on his age, a lot of Jar's and Slosh's and Davey's) and the next time he saw me he actually had tears in his eyes when he came and gave me a great big hug and said it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him and he loved the music!

Every now and then, I drop a copy of one of my fave comps somewhere (like a bus stop to the college) where it will probably be appreciated by someone who may not be able to afford new music. I make sure there is a tracklist and I write "Finder's Keepers - Enjoy!" on the disk.

Goes to show you that things we take for granted can mean a lot to someone else.

Snowie

Swish
06-30-2005, 08:47 AM
That's easy! Give him/her copies of some of the indie comps produced by the Indie Hipsters around here.

Last winter one of the lift operators at Sun Peaks asked what I was listening to on my player. I think it was Bjork. The next time up the lift I asked him what he listened to. He was a big TOOL fan and I nicknamed him "Raggedy Andy" since he had one of those awful, stringy beards so many 20-something's seem to favour. (That and his name was Andy.)

Well, I told him to check out some websites and he admitted that he didn't have access to a computer, or the money to buy new music.

So when I went up on Christmas day, I dropped off a bunch of comp copies for him at the staff room, (based on his age, a lot of Jar's and Slosh's and Davey's) and the next time he saw me he actually had tears in his eyes when he came and gave me a great big hug and said it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him and he loved the music!

Every now and then, I drop a copy of one of my fave comps somewhere (like a bus stop to the college) where it will probably be appreciated by someone who may not be able to afford new music. I make sure there is a tracklist and I write "Finder's Keepers - Enjoy!" on the disk.

Goes to show you that things we take for granted can mean a lot to someone else.

Snowie

in your avatar was able to pull a rabbit out of his finger. How'd he do that?

Swish

Davey
06-30-2005, 08:54 AM

Snowie
Nice post, as usual :)

That does sound like a sweet thing to do. I know Dave G used to talk about leaving comps out when he'd go trail riding. Never knew for sure if he was just kidding or not. The other day I was out to lunch with an old buddy and he pulled out this comp he had with just a typewritten tracklist and no name or anything and stuck it in the player. Said he found it in his kids stash and they claimed it came from the library or some other such inplausible story, but he figured it must be one of mine. Hehehe, one of my first CD type comps. Fun to hear it again after a few years. Didn't make me cry or anything, but it was worth a grin. I made a whole slew of basically the same comp back in those days...over and over :p

Snowbunny
06-30-2005, 09:04 AM
The other day I was out to lunch with an old buddy and he pulled out this comp he had with just a typewritten tracklist and no name or anything and stuck it in the player. Said he found it in his kids stash and they claimed it came from the library or some other such inplausible story, but he figured it must be one of mine. :p

Wow, that's really interesting and all, Davey, but more importantly, what did you have for lunch? :D

Snowie

So kids in the States actually keep music in their stash, eh? How odd. ;)

Snowbunny
06-30-2005, 09:06 AM
in your avatar was able to pull a rabbit out of his finger. How'd he do that?

Swish

Hehehe... that there avatar was meant as "bait" for someone who shall remain nameless.

Davey
06-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Wow, that's really one of the dumbest stories ever Davey, so what did you have for lunch?
Probably some Sing Chow Fried Mai Fun and Sub Gum Chow Mein Hong Kong Style at King Wah. Or maybe it was Phở tái chín and Chả gị at Pho-Binh. I had a bowl of Pho in Canada before, that was fun :D

Jim Clark
06-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Dood, dunno about all that but I finally have a package for you ready to go out. Very sorry for the delay, been caught up in other things.

jc

Slosh
06-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Some really good suggestions already but my list would be:
1. Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
2. Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On
3. Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth
4. Spoon - A Series Of Sneaks
5. Enon - High Society

Hmmm . . . . not much acoustic stuff in there and not all that much variety so five more:
6. Decemberists - Picaresque
7. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
8. Pinback - Summer In Abaddon
9. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World
10. McLusky - Do Dallas

nobody
06-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Dood, dunno about all that but I finally have a package for you ready to go out. Very sorry for the delay, been caught up in other things.

jc

Never a problem.
I realize some people do have actual lives.

...just never knew you were one of 'em...