What's at the top of your wishlist [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's at the top of your wishlist

Davey
06-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Mine has the new Head of Femur album up there. Think I might stop by the indie hipster store tonight and snag a copy. Et tu?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009HLCRE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Stone
06-30-2005, 06:51 AM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg700/g768/g76840dwslv.jpg

The Russian Futurists - Our Thickness

Their last album has been on my wishlist for 2 years, so I'm not sure why I think I'll be able to find this one easily or have the motivation to order it online, but it's at the top of the list right now.

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Someone recently made me aware of an Australian singer named Shane Nicholson. From the MP3 samples that I've been able to download, he sounds a lot like Neil Finn and his songs are very Crowded House-ish. His CD It's A Movie is at the top of my list.

I just haven't felt motivated to pay the $23 that Amazon is asking for this disk.

Troy
06-30-2005, 07:20 AM
I tried the Head of Femur album. Bumbled onto a used copy at Amoeba SF.

Didn't like it very much. Kinda sloppy and disjointed. WAY too cute and clever for it's own good. Lots of very unusual instrumentation ultimately making it WAY too much of a knock off of Brian Wilson's "Smile", but without any of the sweet naivete or impeccable production. the recording is brittle and harsh.

None of the melodies were very interesting, none of the hooks, very hooky. It's a bit of a bore.

$8 and it's yours.

newtrix1
06-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Since starting a membership with YOURMUSIC, it's been hard to buy music any other way. I've currently got 22 titles in my queue, at the top are:

1) Lamb - What Sound: Deluxe Edition (w/DVD)

2) The Music - Welcome To The North

3) Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

4) Longwave - The Strangest Things

Davey
06-30-2005, 07:48 AM
I tried the Head of Femur album....$8 and it's yours.
This new one, or the last one with the ship and octopus cover?

tentoze
06-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Curiously enough and uncommonly, my wish list is EMPTY. And it isn't because I've been on some mad buying binge lately either. I think it's directly related to what has been a mediocre year for new music IMO.

Troy
06-30-2005, 08:48 AM

This new one.

Slosh
06-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
Island - s/t
American Analog Set - Set Free

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
Island - s/t
American Analog Set - Set Free

What's that DCFC disk? It's not listed on AMG. Is it new?

Edit: Never mind. I just checked on their web site and see that it's due to be released on August 30. Now I'm torn. I don't want to look forward to it's release because that'll also be the end of summer...but..I...can't...seem...to...help...mysel f. :(

Slosh
06-30-2005, 02:25 PM
What's that DCFC disk? It's not listed on AMG. Is it new?It's so new it hasn't been released yet :D
None of the stuff I listed is out yet. I misread the question.

edit: it's alright, I never mind :)

Dusty Chalk
06-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Arena, Pepper's Ghost
Count Zero, Little Minds
Leaves' Eyes, Lovelorn
Die Warzau, Convenience (yes, that's right, they have a new album out; I listened to it in the listening station, and it's groovy)
Mist and the Morning Dew
Thergothon, Phtagn-Nagh Yog-Sothoth (no, that is not a troll, that's really what it's called)
Shape of Despair and their last one, Illusion's Play (and these are probably at the top of the list)
Silver Mt. Zion blah blah blah, Horses in the Sky
Hanged Up, (don't know name)
Davantage, Unholy
Emotional Joystick, Bellicos Pacifica
Jason Forrest, Unrelenting Songs of 1979 Post Disco Crash
Hellhound (On My Trail), I'm Funking Boring
Insekt, Ohrwuermer
Dani Joss, Liquid Photography
Kompressor, Discipline
State of Being, Haywire
New Concept, Outer Gates
The Nine, Invasion
Orphx, Circuitbreaking

...a lot of these are from magazine reviews from Industrial Nation. But some of you get a kick out of reading my lists and saying, "I've never heard a single thing on there". So I thought I'd share.

nobody
06-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Is that Kompressor the thing that started out with some online clips? I actually really enjoyed those when I heard them. Is he getting an actual CD release nowadays or what?

Davey
07-01-2005, 06:53 AM
I tried the Head of Femur album. Bumbled onto a used copy at Amoeba SF.

Didn't like it very much. Kinda sloppy and disjointed. WAY too cute and clever for it's own good. Lots of very unusual instrumentation ultimately making it WAY too much of a knock off of Brian Wilson's "Smile", but without any of the sweet naivete or impeccable production. the recording is brittle and harsh.

None of the melodies were very interesting, none of the hooks, very hooky. It's a bit of a bore.

$8 and it's yours.

This new one.

Hmmm, if it's that bad then maybe I'll reconsider. They have a stream of it at the site so I'll give it a listen and get back to you, but I did really like the first one. Thanks for the offer :)

Slosh
07-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Mine has the new Head of Femur album up there. Think I might stop by the indie hipster store tonight and snag a copy. Et tu?Just get Face The Truth already, ya slacker. Or are you waiting for a trade offer? ;) Whatcha got?

NP: Bloc Party - "Helicopter" which rawks, incidently

Davey
07-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Whatcha got?

Not sure I really "need" any more SM, but here's my chronological list of "acquisitions" since the start of 2005 ... probably at least half of them are just CD-R "demos" with a big influx when I did CRSV10, but there's a few good "real" ones in there too. Probably the ones you already have :p

That Bloc Party is a fun one. A little surprised you like it so much since it is kind of a retro throwback to those long lost late 70s and early 80s, but they do it very well, especially for a debut.

The Departure - Dirty Words [import]
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
Electrelane - Axes
13 & God
The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place
Rheostatics - 2067
The Coach & Four - Unlimited Symmetry
Scissor Sisters
Boy - Every Page You Turn
The Thrills - Let's Bottle Bohemia
Richard Davies - Telegraph
Mofro - Lochloosa
Damon & Naomi - The Earth Is Blue
Al Kooper - I Stand Alone
Keren Ann - Not Going Anywhere
Keren Ann - Nolita
Petra Haden - Sings The Who Sell Out
Sweet Apple Pie - Between The Lines
Garbage - Bleed Like Me
The Blue Van - The Art of Rolling
Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die
Woven Hand - Consider the Birds
Mary Gauthier - Mercy Now
Beck - Guero
John Doe - Forever Hasn't Happened Yet
Joy Division - Heart and Soul [box]
Valina - Vagabond
British Sea Power - Open Season
The Decemberists - Picaresque
The Kills - No Wow
Black Mountain
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers - The Lonesome Sea
Hector Zazou - Strong Currents [import]
The Fiery Furnaces - Gallowbird`s Bark
The Fiery Furnaces - EP
Lockgroove - Calm Right Down
Interpol - Antics
Tindersticks - Working For The Man (The Island Years) [import]
Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration [import]
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/wishlist.htm#Recent_Acquisitions

Troy
07-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Hmmm, if it's that bad then maybe I'll reconsider. They have a stream of it at the site so I'll give it a listen and get back to you, but I did really like the first one. Thanks for the offer :)

LOL, welllll, it IS you and me after all. You'll probably love it . . .

If you don't want it, I'll take it back to Amoeba on my next trip up there. They'll give me $5 for it and put it out for $10 (what I paid for it). $8, we both make out. We could meet on neutral ground (a bar) or do it by paypal/mail.

Slosh
07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Not sure I really "need" any more SMYou absolutely need this one, for real :)
there's a few good "real" ones in there too. Probably the ones you already haveYou're right. Anything worth having on that list I do already have. I still haven't tracked down Believo! or Telephono or any AmAnSet if that means anything to ya :o Bloc Party is this year's Arcade Fire. It sounds old but not the kinda old that I don't like so I'm good with it.

Davey
07-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Anything worth having on that list I do already have.
Hey, that's a pretty closed-minded attitude to take, doncha think? You've heard em all? I bet not, you elitist snob!

Yeah, Believo! is a blast. Don't have my copy with me here though. Same with Amanset. I do have a few older goodies not on that list, though. I'll PM you later this weekend and see if you wanna give any of em a try.

LOL, welllll, it IS you and me after all. You'll probably love it . . .

If you don't want it, I'll take it back to Amoeba on my next trip up there. They'll give me $5 for it and put it out for $10 (what I paid for it). $8, we both make out. We could meet on neutral ground (a bar) or do it by paypal/mail.
Hehehe, what makes a bar neutral ground? Ya mean one that has both Mike Keneally and Modest Mouse on the box? Could you imagine finding a bar that played Keneally? Now that would be some freaky place, huh? I'll let ya know, but yeah, we could probably meet up in PA or something if we do it.

Dusty Chalk
07-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Is that Kompressor the thing that started out with some online clips? I actually really enjoyed those when I heard them. Is he getting an actual CD release nowadays or what?Actually, I think this is (at least) his second release. That first one did finally come out. According to the review, it's got the same combination of hooks and sense of humour (it even inspired the review-writer to write like English wasn't his first language -- really good review) as the first, but he's incorporated hip-hop into his act.

Oh, look, he has a website. (http://www.kompressormusic.com/) Looks like he is at least up to his third release, if not fourth.