Set up questions with the AR DIYs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Set up questions with the AR DIYs

Jim Clark
01-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Got a set of these speakers after a couple of years of "I'm gonna get these suckers" and now I want to make sure I'm setting them up correctly. This is my first set of standmount speakers and I'm having some problems getting the sub set up correctly. Additionally I think I'm doing something to limit the width of the soundstage. Detail, imaging, and clarity seem pretty good.

Basic information. Speakers have (for now) the original crossover design and are on solid stands. I'm driving them with a Denon 3802
and trying to blend them in with a Klipsch KSW-12 sub. The sub is one of the "good" ones made before Klipsch did whatever they did to ruin them so I don't think that's the issue, or at least not the whole issue.

Speakers are set to small, crossed over on the Denon at 80 Hz and the low pass filter is set just a shade over 80 on the sub. Sub is set in a corner and the speakers are about 5 and a half feet apart and about 22 inches from the rear wall and toed in slightly.

Anyone with these speakers that could offer some tips would be warmly received!

Regards,
jc

karl k
01-03-2004, 10:20 AM
http://www.audioreview.com/Learncrx.aspx

Goto DIY speaker kit - Details - instructions...

Read at the bottom of the page under testing. In essence, 7' apart and 20-30" tall(on stands not bookshelves) and YOU should be 7-9' from speakers. While his instructions do not give a distance from the wall behind the speakers, my experience is between 6" and 18" from the wall gives good bass with these speakers. You maybe crossed a little high at the sub, try around 50-60Hz if possible and try speakers set on normal as well.

Ed can probably do more, but this may get you on your way.

Jim Clark
01-03-2004, 11:12 AM
http://www.audioreview.com/Learncrx.aspx

Goto DIY speaker kit - Details - instructions...

Read at the bottom of the page under testing. In essence, 7' apart and 20-30" tall(on stands not bookshelves) and YOU should be 7-9' from speakers. While his instructions do not give a distance from the wall behind the speakers, my experience is between 6" and 18" from the wall gives good bass with these speakers. You maybe crossed a little high at the sub, try around 50-60Hz if possible and try speakers set on normal as well.

Ed can probably do more, but this may get you on your way.

Ah, thanks. I didn't actually read the instructions since I bought the speakers already built cheaper than I could buy the parts this time around. I'll go back and review them and see what happens.

I have used a line level connection for the sub currently but I'll play around some more with the settings. Changing them to Large and lowering the sub's low pass filter isn't something I would have thought of trying. If nothing works out I'll try a speaker level connection. Thanks again.

*mini update* I made some changes based on your suggestions and things are certainly much better now. I set the speakers to large and faced them straight ahead with no toe in at all. Additionally I discovered that the sub was set to play the bass from the speakers as well as LFE, changing that setting made a huge difference. No wonder I couldn't get the sub to blend in.

jc

Dick Hertz
03-03-2004, 09:18 PM
You'll change the roll off of the AR's from 4th order to second so they'll blend better with the subwoofer. You will have to also reverse the phase of the AR's relative to the sub.

PRJackson
03-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Read this - the problem could be your sub placement. A corner is usually not a good idea. It should be between the two main speakers, not outside of them.

http://sound.westhost.com/subcon.htm

MCH
03-19-2004, 08:04 PM
The folks that go into incredible lengths using physics etc. to justify their setup are; in my mind; basically anal retentive. There is no golden solution as we all have to accept a setup with placement, room geometry, financial outlay etc. If a person has basically a good system; speakers being the paramount; they can enjoy their system in most real world setups. Way too much emphasis is being placed upon the electronic makeup and enviromental issues. If you have decent speakers; throw on a disc and enjoy the music.
I have 4 of Ed's speakers, plus 2 of my own design and a 15" Tempest octagon subwoofer in my setup and enjoy my music immensely.