Best way to keep sub from moving? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to keep sub from moving?

tlm
06-29-2005, 07:28 PM
I have a sunfire sub placed on a wood floor that vibrates around too much. What should I use to anchor it without affecting performance, piece of foam, carpet???

Yonettes
06-29-2005, 07:37 PM
SPIKES!!!!!

Will focus all energy into 4 micro contact points (3 would be preferred if you can manage it) . Also decouples the sub from the room. Drawback is floor damage

markw
06-30-2005, 03:05 AM
...just a thought

kexodusc
06-30-2005, 03:29 AM
I recommend rubber feet and felt pads if you have hardwood floors. Spikes are best theoretically, but in practice not all the energy actually gets transferred from cabinet to spikes anyway which makes them not really any better than rubber bumper feer (except they might look better). If you're sub is really heavy you wouldn't use spikes anyway. Best part about the rubber isolator pads, they're cheap!
Make sure it's level.

Eric Z
06-30-2005, 04:31 AM
I've seen some people use a small piece of carpeting (cut out a few inches wider than the sub). They would just place the sub right on the carpet remnant and it solved the moving- one person actually thought it sounded better since it was firing right on the carpet instead of the hardwood (downfiring sub obviously).

Woochifer
06-30-2005, 04:53 PM
I simply use rubber feet and they anchor my sub down to the floor quite solidly. Other spike options and isolation platforms were more expensive, and in the case of the spikes, potentially damaged the wood floor (which my wife would never accept). An added benefit to rubber feet is that they compress slightly, which helps if your floor's not perfectly level. I bought some basic low profile rubber feet at a hardware store ($3 for a set of four) and flipped them upside down so that the side with the maximum contact area supported the sub.

tlm
07-01-2005, 07:11 PM
The sub came with rubber feet, but with this sub's size and opposing drivers, it still dances across the floor. Will try carpet. Thanks.

jrflanne
07-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Sit on it. If you are married, have your wife sit on it. ;)

jamison
07-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Get several large nails and a hammer. remove the driver from the subwoofer and nail the enclosure down to the floor. then reinstall the woofer and you will be fine..... just kidding couldnt resist