Anybody up for Tuesday listens or has it died? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody up for Tuesday listens or has it died?

Mike
06-29-2005, 03:59 AM
Be a shame if it has I always found it a good way to pick up on new releases/sounds, ah well here's a few of mine...

Coldplay - X&Y, this has had some great reviews and some bad ones. Coldplay are not the greatest band in the work in spite of what they would like you to believe and the publicity machine will tell you. Coldplay themselves have admitted to wanting to topple U2 as currently the biggest band in the world abd frankly I don't understand why Coldplay are so popular, but saying all that it's still a good album, nothing remarkable just good IMO. Ironically in parts it's their most U2 sounding album with The Edge sounding guitar notes and driving bass.

Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum, bahn bahn bahn ba autobahn...great sounding double live Kraftwerk album who prove their music was not only way ahead of its time but they still have relevance today.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm, still a big big favourite of mine.

Gorillaz - Demon Days, pretty much like their last but a nice summer patio listen with a chilled beer.

The Go Find - Miami, this came out late last year, sort of like the Neon Golden meets Royksopp with a twist of pop.

Anymore takers???

Cheers
Mike

DarrenH
06-29-2005, 05:13 AM
Nothing new for me. Still enjoying Dream Theater's Octavarium. The best thing they've done since Scenes From A Memory.

Also picked up the new Porcupine Tree XM release XM II. Catchy title eh. It's a live concert taped in July 2003 for XM satellite radio.

Other stuff:

Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
Donald ***en - The Nightfly
Heaven's Cry - Food For Thought Substitute
Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Tr3nity - The Cold Light Of Darkness
Marillion - Anoraknophobia, marillion.com, Fugazi and Season's End
Dave Mason - Alone Together
Adagio - Santus Ignis
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Dead Soul Tribe - The January Tree
Radiohead - OK Computer
Richard and Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Dave Holland Big Band - What Goes Around
Monk - Monk's Blues
Coltrane - Blue Train
Joe Henderson - In 'n Out

and more of Jack70's excellent Timemasheen comps.

Stone
06-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Dead. As dead as this cat:

ForeverAutumn
06-29-2005, 07:26 AM
I enjoy reading the Tuesday thread too. Unfortunately, I haven't had much listening time the past couple of weeks. Working and studying are taking up most of my time. Also, a lack of cash flow has stopped me from buying anything new for about the last month or so. A whole month with no new CDs. This is painful!!!

Old listens:

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
Three Days Grace - S/T
Dream Theater - Octavarium - Okay, so that one's new.
The Trews - House of Ill Fame (they're playing a free show here on Friday. Yahooo! I'll be there).
Franz Ferdinand - S/T
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

Olivertmc
06-29-2005, 07:46 AM
I like the Tuesday thread - it has opened my eyes (ears?) to a lot of great music. Here's my current playlist:

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - s/t
Chuck Prophet - Age of Miracles
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Common - Be
Bob Marley - Live at the Roxy
Bruce Cockburn - Charity of Night
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Brian Wilson - Smile
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is . . .

nobody
06-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Spent quite a bit of time listening to some Jazz lately. Most enjoyable to me has been some stuff by <b>Lou Donaldson</b>, particulalry <i>The Natural Soul</i> and <i>Midnight Creeper</i>. They've both got a nice mix of blues, funk and jazz that may appeal to fans of soul stuff like Booker T as much as traditional jazz fans. Great stuff.

Also got a listen to the <i>Anthology of American Music</i>, that 5 disc thing from Smithsinian, originally compiled by <b>Harry Snith</b>. It's so vast and inclusive of early american music, it's simply a fascinating listen. Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in this sort of thing.

A few new things grabbed my attention, the already mentioned and very excellent <b>Kraftwerk</b> live disc, and the new <b>Brian Eno</b>, which I've seen getting mixed reviews, but which I absolutely love. It sits in the middle of his his ambient work and his poppier stuff, which makes it just about perfect for me. Also got a listen to the <b>Engineers</b>, which I am really digging. It's got a laid back airy feeling throughout with a bit of a somber tone. It kinda reminds my of an acoustic style 10,000 htz Legend.

Burning vinyl for a friend has me digging out some great 80s stuff, specifically <i>I Just Can't Stop It</i> and <i>Special Beat Service</i> from the <b>English Beat</b>, both absolute classics. Also, <i>One Step Beyond</i> from <b>Madness</b>, something I hadn't grabbed in quite some time and had forgotten just how fantastic it is, especially how wide ranging the material is. <b>The Clash</b>'s <i>Radio Clash</i> 12" and <b>UB40</b>s <i>Little Baggariddim</i> complete what's finished so far, and were both fun listens, Mi Spliff from the UB40 disc is a lot of fun. <b>Joe Jackson</b>'s <i>I'm the Man</i>, my favorite of his is going right now. The Band Wore Blue Shirts is a great tune.

Ok...that's enough for now...later.

tentoze
06-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Only new thing lately is Ry Cooder's Chavez Ravine. It's excellent.

Davey
06-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Tunesday is kind of like one of those undead zombie movies that keep dragging itself out of the grave. It never really goes away even if no one is watching. And isn't undead zombie kind of an oxymoron in reverse? Can you really be undead if you're a zombie? Or can you be a zombie if you're undead? I feel a little like a zombie today....

Been rocking to the new Departure CD for a few days now. Dirty Words. Kind of a disposable rehash of the Psychedelic Furs mixed with some Duran Duran and U2. Or maybe Furs and Chameleons. I don't know. If I could remember how to be an indie elistist snob I'd hate it, especially since it's a copy controlled EMI major label pseudo CD. But screw it, I love it. I know it's wrong, but I can't help myself. Revoke my indie card and call me a sellout cause those layers of chiming guitars just mess up my mind.

Congrats on the kid, Mikey! You should try playing that Coldplay for her - maybe keep her asleep at night. I know it puts me to sleep :p

newtrix1
06-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Ewww! I received a copy of Deadwing recently, compliments of Mr. Cylinder. Just like most of you heve been saying, really good stuff here. I've liked almost all the songs by this band that y'all have comped over the years, plus reading all the praise, you'd think I would have picked up one of their albums by now...sheesh! :rolleyes:
Oh well, better late than never. I now have In Absentia in my YOURMUSIC.com queue.

C-Z
06-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Been spending a lot of time with the kids, summertime and all, so mucho listening with them

Porcupine Tree - My little girls have been requesting them every time we drive somewhere.
Tom Waits - various (my girls constantly request him also - what is wrong with my children!?!?)
Teleman Tafelmusic - 4CD set from Naxos
Beethoven - Piano Trios
Kevin Gilbert
Jethro Tull - Stand Up
Peter Gabriel - Us
Modest Mouse - Good news ...
BIlly Idol - yes I am serious
California Guitar Trio - White water- some cool stuff on here (saw them live a few months ago - Great!)
Johnny Cash - American Recordings
Blackfield - jury still out on this one for me - it is growing on me I think
Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
REM -Out Of time
Mark Knopfler - Shangri-la
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (never a huge FM fan, but this one is sounding good to me, and bringing back interesting memories)

And some others - I am still moving into a new place, so whatever I unpack I put on

CZ

np - PT Deadwing

Slosh
06-29-2005, 12:44 PM
I downloaded Get Behind Me Satan and my Jah does it suck. Glad I trusted my instinct not to buy it before hearing. Hard to believe this is the same band that gave us the stellar White Blood Cells just four years ago.

Hey, don't you people ever get tired of fellating Steve Wilson?

NP: SFA - Mwng

C-Z
06-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Slosh - what sucks about Get Behind Me Satan? Haven't heard a lick of it yet.

Troy
06-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey, don't you people ever get tired of fellating Steve Wilson?

Not blowing, just listening. Sheesh.

I forgot what I listened to last week. Like Davey, just kinda braindead these days. Thinking hard now . . . some Zappa, some Platypus, Some Porcupine Tree, that Jason Falkner EP. Some other stuff, I dunno. I can hear the braincells bubbling so I'm gonna stop now.

I promise to keep track better next week.

NP: Barry Adamson- The Negro Inside Me.

C-Z
06-29-2005, 01:56 PM
I promise to keep track better next week.

No you won't - who are you kidding?

Slosh
06-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Slosh - what sucks about Get Behind Me Satan? Haven't heard a lick of it yet.I tried to give it a chance playing it at least four times before I deleted it but basically it sounded like most of the songs were improvised on the spot. It doesn't rawk much at all. I really like their songs like "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground", "Offend In Every Way", "I'm Finding It Harder To Be a Gentleman", etc. but there's nothing like that here. It's countrified/rootsy/bluesy dreck IMO.

radioblast
06-29-2005, 02:04 PM
top shelf of the cabinet the last few days:
The Bravery- selftitled- trust me. Idid not want to like this album. NYC poseurs shamelessly imitating our favorites from the 80's. But I must admit, its fun. You want New Order? got it. The Cure? covered. The hiccuppy vocals of dexy's midnightrunners? check. I have to say, this is my favorite of the 80's sounding trend bands.

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions- Rattlesnakes- one great album. Ican't understand why they weren't more popular.

Joe Strummer- Global a Go-Go - one dud (Gamma Ray) sandwiched by 10 stellar strummer tunes.

Hothouse Flowers - Into Your Heart- well recorded, great for after dinner listening. Have you ever noticed the lyrics of all HHF songs? Clean and soulful, you could play them in church.

MomurdA
06-29-2005, 02:14 PM
AS mentioned above, the 2 disc kraftwerk cd is awesome. I also have just got this albbum from a band called Telepopmusik- Angel Milk. If you like Air, Stereolab, Postal Service, you will like this.
John Scofield Steady groovin. Very good.
Of course one of my favorites gets spun at least every other day, air moon safari.

nobody
06-29-2005, 02:37 PM
I'll second the Telepopmusik recommendation. I heard their first one from Jim Clark and really liked it too. This one may not have a single as great as Breathe off the debut, but it's probably a better listen all through. It made me feel much better when I heard it right after the disappointment that was the latest from Royksopp.

Slosh
06-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Not blowing, just listening. Sheesh.Coulda said something about Steve Wilson leaving a bad taste . . . . . oh, on second thought better not go there

pffft!

Geoffcin
06-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Coulda said something about Steve Wilson leaving a bad taste . . . . . oh, on second thought better not go there

Last thing I want to do is come in here and play moderator.

Stone
06-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Annie - Anniemal

Ass Ponys - Electric Rock Music

Black Heart Procession - Heart and Tanks EP

The Blasters - American Music

Caribou - The Milk of Human Kindness
Hmmm, not doing much for me. Much different from In Flames.

Kasabian - s/t

REM - Lifes Rich Pageant

Rocket From the Crypt - Scream, Dracula, Scream!

Violent Femmes - s/t
Violent Femmes - The Blind Leading the Naked
A couple of classics.

ForeverAutumn
06-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Last thing I want to do is come in here and play moderator.

Well, if you're gonna come in here at all, at least tell us what you listened to this week.

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

audiobill
06-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Must be like the Avian Flu. I, too, have very few brain cells working, this week. Too too busy for my tastes.

Nevertheless, I did squeeze some tunes in.

The Smiths -- Singles

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble -- The Sky is Crying

Elliott Smith -- from a basement on the hill

Neil Youn -- Decade (btw, he is closing the Barrie, Canada Liv8 Show.... The show just got better!!

and The White Stripes' latest (kinda growing on me in a O Brother/ Cold Mountain kind of way.)

I'll be driving 26 hours on Friday to visit the beaches of sunny Gulf Coast, Florida: Lido beach, Longboat beach, Perico Island, and Anna Maria Island.

Just assembling the 6-disc in-truck selector for some sunny tunes to take us there.

Cheers,

audiobill

MindGoneHaywire
06-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Anyone know how long we've been doing this? Davey? If this is considered cliqueish in the sandbox by anyone, I'd think they should keep in mind this has been going on for some years...I think four? Or had this started already by the turn of 2001? Inquiring minds want to know. Seriously, I was curious.

Listened to a nice bossa nova rec this week, hell, can't remember the name. Checked out a Clash DVD from Tokyo in 1980 or 1982, I think. Have a copy of Bob Dylan's Eat This Document that I have to see...and the Family Guy CD! Which is good for a laugh, especially if you're a fan of the show, but the DVD comes with a video for Stewie doing something called Sexy Party, which is basically a rap/r&b jam with some very funny snaps & graphics. If you don't have a sense of humor, avoid.

Listened to the first Jam record last night up on my roof, checking out the serene view of the Hudson River & that Statue Of Liberty thing. The weather sucks rocks around here right now so it was a welcome respite from the past few days of running around in the humidity & alternately crashing hard...after the weather breaks I'm going to be in the mood for some mother*****ing punk rock, I can tell you that. For now, though, it's more like Dylan...Richard Thompson played around the corner last night & I had to miss it. But my wife went with a friend & offered a very positive review. I'll have to content myself with the Austin City Limits DVD which is a performance from 1991, and the MP3 I found on the web somewhere of his "I Agree With Pat Metheny" which is a commentary on Metheny's candid interview in Europe some years back where he went as personal & vicious on another musician as any I've ever seen. Bravo. And the Thompson tune is fine indeed. Kind of in the vein of John Cale's "Mr Wilson," though unfortunately I read somewhere that Brian Wilson didn't realize that Cale was being sincere in tribute, that he was a huge fan & that there was nothing sarcastic or rank about the tune. Oh, well. With Kenny G there can be no doubt. As heinous as some of the crimes against music in the rock genre have been, and there have been many, I don't even think they approach the dastardly deeds served up by Mr. G. What hath Jeff Lorber wraught?

chrisnz
06-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Hi, long time no post... but anyways... Congrats to Mike on the happy addition to the household :-)

M.I.A - Arular. This is what pop music should sound like in 2005. Fun, sexy, highly danceable, subversive and a mashup of more musical styles than you can shake a stick at. A breath of fresh air.

DJ Shadow - Diminishing Returns. This is a DJ mix that was played on John Peels BBC show in 2003 I think. Only a thousand copies were produced and it cost me more than any CD is worth but what the hey... it rocks.

Mum - Yesterday Was Dramatic... Only just picked this up and I should have grabbed it ages ago.

Nina Nastasia - Dogs. They're all good aren't they? This could be the best... depends on the day.

Prefuse 73 - Surrounded By Silence. Not his best and I've only listened a couple of times, all over the map but still good.

Mark Lanegan Band - Bubblegum. Getting better all the time.

Caribou - The Milk Of Human Kindness. Only just got it and unsure so far.

Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. Nick and the Seeds in full flight.

DNTEL - Life Is Full Of Possibilities. Major reappraisal for this one. Wasn't that thrilled back in 2002 but now I think it's fantastic, don't really understand what I was thinking.. This is the dream of Evan and Chan is wonderfull and yet I put Last Songs on a comp which although it presages Four Tet's - Rounds by a year or two is hardly representative of this album.

Dalek - Absence. As in your face as I can take probably. Washes of noise and guitars over Hip Hop beats and virulently political rapping. I'm sure I've read of it being compared to Loveless which seems a stretch. I love it and I wish there was more Hip Hop that was pushing the envelope away from that RnB schlock that makes me... well never mind.

Roots Manuva - Awfully Deep. When it's good which is most of the time it's very good but when it's bad it makes you really wonder WTF he was thinking.

Enough already... Chris.

Pat D
06-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Different versions again, this time of Sibelius Symphony Nos. 4 and 5--well, they're often coupled. For No. 4, I went to Bernstein, NYPO on a CBS LP, supposed to be one of the best. Well, I've never really liked this work. I then tried Maazel/Pittsburgh SO on Sony, which is very well recorded, but it's still mostly slow, morbid sounding. Also the earlier Maazel/VPO on London, considered one of the best. Davis/BSO on a Philips LP--well, you can't say I haven't tried to get into this symphony. Still don't like it, not even the 4th movement, which does move some.

Now, Sibelius 5th is another matter. Some like to start out slowly to get the feeling of the mystery of the deep Finnish forests and fjords, etc. Davis and Karajan, for example. Well, OK, but I really like the older Maazel/VPO from the London set, which moves the 1st movement right along, which is much less boring. Maazel also has the brass spread out all across the rear of the orchestra for the big climaxes at the end of the 1st and 3rd (last) movements, really spectacular effect! He did the same with the somewhat slower performance on the Sony digital recording with the Pittsburgh Symphony to good effect. Most recordings just have the brass on the right side. Maazel/Vienna Philharmonic is my first choice, though.

I also listened to Sibelius 7th Symphony with my favorite versions, Maazel/VPO, and the more recent digital recording with Georg Tintner (of Bruckner fame) conducting Symphony Nova Scotia (Canada), which is really a chamber orchestra. At a reasonably loud level, the sound and performance sound stunning, right up there with the classic Maazel; at lower levels, one can tell the orchestra is smaller than the Vienna Phil--a large orchestra does have its advantages. Nevertheless, as I have said before, the Tintner recording was a wonderful surprise.

Debussy and Ravel, String Quartets. Fine Arts Quartet (Chicago) on a Concert Disc (Everest) LP, great performances with very smooth, realistic sound.

Gabrieli & St. Mark's (refers to St. Mark's in Rome), Venetian Brass Music. The Wallace Collection, brass group named after trumpeter John Wallace, on Nimbus. I have a weakness for good brass recordings.

Diana Krall, Love Scenes. I love to play this whenever RGA says my speakers are no good.

Franck, The Great Organ Works, vol. 2, including the Piece Heroique and Trois Chorales. Eric Lebrun, organist. Naxos 8.554698. These are fine performances, very well recorded.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Davey
06-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Anyone know how long we've been doing this? Davey? If this is considered cliqueish in the sandbox by anyone, I'd think they should keep in mind this has been going on for some years...I think four? Or had this started already by the turn of 2001? Inquiring minds want to know. Seriously, I was curious.
Yeah, it has been about 4 years. Just did a quick search in the dusty archives and the first of the series was July 31, 2001. We've been pretty much nonstop ever since, although it's of course nothing like the massive threads we used to generate (comparatively speaking). Nice way to keep in touch with each other, though, especially now that none of us are posting very often.

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EEB3092.php

Duds
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Couple new ones from Clutch. Robot Hive/Exodus that just came out Tuesday. Another one called "Pitchfork & Lost Needles" which includes unreleased tracks and demos. Clutch is a great band in my opinion, quite original. Also a great live band

Viva La Bam compilation - Skateboarder Bam Mergera who has a show on MTV put out this comp of his favorite bands. Bands like Turbonegro, Him, Clutch, Fireball Ministry, 69 Eyes, Viking Skull. Some pretty cool tunes from a few bands i wasnt familiar with, like Viking Skull.

Witchcraft - very very Sabbath like, could be a cover band actually. Still very good doom/stoner rock