I "Stole" A Denon 3801 for $310 due to idiot Ebay Bidders! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I "Stole" A Denon 3801 for $310 due to idiot Ebay Bidders!

EdwardGein
06-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Finally got my second Denon 3801 for my bedroom that is in mint condition with the 3801 remote for the total bargain price of $310 plus $35 shipping from a reliable seller on Ebay with excellent feedback. I figure I can sell the remote for an easy $60 as I don't need it with my Harmony LogiTech 676 Universal Remote & get rid of my JVC RX DV31SL receiver for another $100 or so. So it was a good day.

Alot of the people who bid on Ebay, I'm sorry to say, are not very smart.
The only way to win an Ebay auction in the first place is by bidding in the last 10 seconds. Unfortunately, most of these idiots, bid early on in an auction which just accomplishes one thing and one thing only, bidding up the price. They are literally throwing away money. If Ebay wanted to run a fairer auction, they would limit bids in the last 2 hours only to people who bid prior to that. Instead, unless you do not have access to a computer in the last few minutes of an auction, you have to be a complete idiot to make a bid until the final moment. These cretins do not seem to realize that. In my case I lucked out here, as 25 people bid stupidly early on and I just bid once in the final 10 seconds.

Ebay also encourages shill bidders to bid up a price as well. I would estimate that at least 80% of people with 0 to 2 feedback who make an initial bid early when there are no bids or just by "coincidence" signed onto Ebay that same day are shill bidders. These same people with 0 to 2 feedback also seem to make an early bid within 5 minutes of someone bidding on an item where there had been no bids before.

I mainly prefer to use either Amazon.com or an established online retailer that I find via Google searches and places like pricegrabber and epinions than to use Ebay because of the above (idiot bidders & shill bidders). When I do use Ebay it is usually to get something under a "Buy it Now" item (no bidding) or if its either a very hard to find item or if its a used item that I can get a good deal from from a seller with good feedback. :) :) :) :)

Ihatehershon
06-28-2005, 04:49 AM
Yes Hershon. We are all Idiots compared to your huge well of knowleadge!!!!! Only a coward would log in under a different name. Don't try and lie about it. You have all the same equipment as he does and your advice is just a crappy!!!!
You are still a joke and should be banned fron this site!!!!!

Jay

JeffKnob
06-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Ebay tells you to bid as high as you are willing to pay so if you were to have bid $310 and someone that bid on the first day was willing to bid up to $350, they would have won and not you. Just because they bid $350 early on doesn't mean that the price goes to that point, it just means that ebay will bid on their behalf up to that point. The amount only goes up by certain intervals like $1 or $0.50. I am sure there is more information on Ebay that explains how their system works.

Looking for items in the last few minutes is a good way of finding deals on items that have few to no people have bid on and you can get an item at a good cost. It doesn't have a low cost because people are idiots like you said but because not many people are interested.

Bidding at the last minute used to be the way to go but things have changed on Ebay. You should check it out.

Worf101
06-28-2005, 06:43 AM
At least not most days... :D
Hey, I've done business on ebay both ways. I rarely if ever bid before the LAST day but I sometimes put in my final offer an hour or so before an auction ends so I can "get on with my life". Some things I watch and snipe on, it depends on what it is and if I REALLY want it or not. Got too many sets of speakers and too many bass guitars in my house now thanks to Ebay,

Ebay a turrible drug (in my best Rick James impression)

Da Worfster :cool:

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 07:39 AM
That is truely an original name, wow you have a real creative mind & obviously you have some serious problems. Thank you for sharing your insightful views.
:D :D :D :D

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Bidding at the last minute used to be the way to go but things have changed on Ebay. You should check it out.[/QUOTE]

Please elaborate. Yes, Ebay will bid your maximum amount which is good if you can't be at your computer during the final minute ot so but is essentially to me worthless & a bad tactical
move. Let's say I decided I was willing to buy this Denon receiver at $375 maximum & will not have access to the computer the last hour of auction. I then place a bid on the first day of auction. What have I essentially accomplished other than bidding up an item and even then there is no guarantee this will help me win the item. IE, let's say that as a result of my $375 bid, on day 4 of a 7 day auction, bidding is now at $350 with me on top, by day 7 bidding could very well be at $380, As I have no acccess to the computer, I can't up my bid a few more dollars. So all I did was up the price of the auction & didn't win anything. Alternatively, let's say I do win the item at $375. In all likelyhood if I did not place a bid until the last few items instead, I still could have won the auction at a much lower price if I had not bid prices up.

I buy and sell autographs online from a well known large auction place & the way they do things which is the fairest way is that they only permit you to bid in the last 2 hours if you had made a bid prior to this. Ebay could do this but choses not to and it would result in fairer competition. Ebay also permits both deadbeat sellers and bidders to continue on Ebay after an offense which is ridiculous as it involves screwing someone over money.

daigoro
06-28-2005, 08:28 AM
I agree that sniping is the best way to win an item. But sometimes you need to bring the price up a bit if it is way too low for too long. The trick is to bring it up to a point where you know that it will not be the final selling price, but it will be enough to scare off people who normally would not be interested in the item if it were not for an absurdly low price.

That way, when you are ready to do your sniping, there will be fewer people involved in the bidding. This is good because it is amazing to see how people start doing panic bids once they get caught up in the competetiveness of it all. Some people are so determined to win that I see them bid higher than the cost of a brand new item bought retail!

Bottom line: you want the price to be well below of your max sniping price, but not a chasm.

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 08:43 AM
The funniest thing is when they either: 1. Bid higher for an item that they can buy outright on say Amazon.com for less or when someone is offering the same exact item as a Buy it Now Item at a lower price.

kexodusc
06-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Ebay's really dropped the ball IMO. Too many tricks and no will from corporate HQ to clean up the scams (which ebay profits off of).
There must be other, better auction sites out there, are there? Or does ebay pretty much have a worldwide monopoly?

shokhead
06-28-2005, 09:13 AM
What are other good sites like e-bay? What are good bidding tricks?

N. Abstentia
06-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Not sure how much of a 'steal' that was, I see them normally going for $250-$300 so $310 is normal price.

How long have you been using Ebay?

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=N. Abstentia]Not sure how much of a 'steal' that was, I see them normally going for $250-$300 so $310 is normal price.

Pray tell you show me where a very good Denon 3801 with remote is going for $250-$300. If you check the prices on Ebay under completed items you'll find they sold for between $350- $425 plus shipping with most of them going to the higher range.

If you know of some site where you can get these cheaper as you are stating- we are not talking about broken Denon 3801 receivers but ones that are in very good condition with a remote, for the range you quote please let the board know. I will then proclaim you as my
Audio God!

JeffKnob
06-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Please elaborate. Yes, Ebay will bid your maximum amount which is good if you can't be at your computer during the final minute ot so but is essentially to me worthless & a bad tactical
move. Let's say I decided I was willing to buy this Denon receiver at $375 maximum & will not have access to the computer the last hour of auction. I then place a bid on the first day of auction. What have I essentially accomplished other than bidding up an item and even then there is no guarantee this will help me win the item. IE, let's say that as a result of my $375 bid, on day 4 of a 7 day auction, bidding is now at $350 with me on top, by day 7 bidding could very well be at $380, As I have no acccess to the computer, I can't up my bid a few more dollars. So all I did was up the price of the auction & didn't win anything. Alternatively, let's say I do win the item at $375. In all likelyhood if I did not place a bid until the last few items instead, I still could have won the auction at a much lower price if I had not bid prices up.

I buy and sell autographs online from a well known large auction place & the way they do things which is the fairest way is that they only permit you to bid in the last 2 hours if you had made a bid prior to this. Ebay could do this but choses not to and it would result in fairer competition. Ebay also permits both deadbeat sellers and bidders to continue on Ebay after an offense which is ridiculous as it involves screwing someone over money.

So if you were to hold off until the last minute to bid on something the other people bidding on it wouldn't have bid on it in the mean time. Using your first example, your bid would have never gotten to $375 if other people didn't bid too, so if you had just waited and not bid until later on the price would have been lower because obviously the other people interested would've know not to bid either so that you could get the good price. That just doesn't make sense to me. I am guessing you mean that if you wait until later in the auction you will be able to find the items that are still at a low price because people either aren't interested or have not noticed it. In that case then I would agree that you could get a lower price.

Alternatively, let's say I do win the item at $375. In all likelyhood if I did not place a bid until the last few items instead, I still could have won the auction at a much lower price if I had not bid prices up. So if this were to happen would the other bidders have just not existed or would you have just gone to a different auction that was lower?

I just need clarification because what you said doesn't make sense.

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 10:41 AM
What are other good sites like e-bay? What are good bidding tricks?

The one thing I'll say about Ebay is the concept and implemation is excellent. The bad thing is customer service is a joke (there is an Ebay phone number if you google for it!), it basically in my opinion encourages fraud & shill bids by sellers and nonpayment by bidders by not immediately kicking these people off and allowing them to do a second offense, and its bidding system is a joke.

Shokhead to me as I said, the only strategy to use Ebay is: 1. To purchase an item that you can not get anywhere else, 2. to get something at a considerable savings that you couldn't find cheaper somewhere else, 3. to get something used but in very good working condition at a relatively cheap price. I would then regularly use Ebays search engines and if you see something you want put it under "Watch". If you are then going to have access to a computer when the auction closes, bid your maximum amount in the final 10 seconds of the auction (have everything ready so all you have to do is click). Do not bid on anything from someone who does not have good feedback or any feedback history. If something seems too good to be true, it is, don't bid. If you don't have access to a computer when the auction ends, chances are someone will outbid your maximum. If you want to get real sneaky contact the seller direct and offer to buy from him in a private deal which he may or may not do.

Good luck

kexodusc
06-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Guaranteed "sniping" or waiting until the last minute does not significantly alter the final buying price on most of the time. Highest bidder still wins whether they bid 4 days in advance or in a panic in the last minute.
If ebay thought sniping was causing lower selling prices (which ebay profits off of in proportion), they wouldn't be sponsoring sniping sites or allowing it to happen.

You can do quite well on ebay with some things if you know exactly what you're looking for. I bought some Marshall amps and a few guitars within my first 2 weeks of ebay membership. It's almost like gambling - addictive.

Eric Z
06-28-2005, 11:18 AM
I agree about someone getting addicted to Ebay- it's fun, but sometimes you need to remember you're dealing with money. In the past, I bid just to see how high I can get someone else's price- that's how I ended up with some extra Def Tech speakers (still got a great deal, more than 1/2 off of msrp, but didn't need them), haha!

I found some great deals on Ebay, but I'm sure I also overpaid on a few things.

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 11:29 AM
"I just need clarification because what you said doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't quite understand what you are saying either, no disrespect intended, but I'll try to clarify my remarks.

Strategy 1- You have access to a computer for the closing of an item you wish to get on Ebay.

Let's assume for arguments sake a Denon 3801 has the minimum $50 bid on the first day. Based on its selling history on Ebay similar ones in the same condition have sold for $350-$425. In scenario 1 no one else bids until the final 10 seconds. You bid the maximum you're willing to pay, say $400. A few people do the same but they've bid $300 tops. You then win the auction for $310 (on Ebay you win by an incremental amount over the next highest bidder not necessarily your max).. Scenario 2 The usual idiot Ebay scenario It is now day 3 and there are 10 bids and the highest bid is now $100. You bid say your $400 maximum. Between day 3 and the closing, the odds are good someone will keep bidding up and they reach your $400 or exceed it. You then either win your auction at $400 or you say what the hell and then increase your bid another $20 or so in the finals seconds. You win the auction but this time are paying $100 more than you would have in Scenario 1.

Strategy 2- You Do not Have Access to a Computer for the Closing of an auction

So its now day 3 of the auction and you bid your $400 maximum, the highest bid was $100. Your bid is now listed at say $120 because ebay increases bids by increments over the next highest bidder. Under this scenario you will either get your item at close to your maximum or lose the item to someone who will pay even higher in the last 10 seconds of the auction. If anything your bid may even reflect that.

Buy it Now Some Remarks

If there is an item I'd like say like a Denon 3801 and I can use the Buy it Now Feature and pay say $425 for it instead of taking my chances with a bidding auction and maybe saving $15-$35 or so, if it retailed new for $1200, yeah its worth it to me to just use But it Now then go through the hassels of saving a few bucks especially as I'm saving alot anyway and I've definately won it.

Peter_Klim
06-28-2005, 11:49 AM
These cretins do not seem to realize that. In my case I lucked out here, as 25 people bid stupidly early on and I just bid once in the final 10 seconds.

You should eat those 25 cretins for breakfast...or have you already,Mr Gein? ;)

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 12:29 PM
You should eat those 25 cretins for breakfast...or have you already,Mr Gein? ;)

Yum Yum They make good ash trays too! :D :D :D :D

N. Abstentia
06-28-2005, 12:31 PM
http://www.htguide.com/forum/archive/index.php4/t-10270

Took about 10 seconds worth of Googling.

Now am I your audio God? Believe it or not, Ebay is not the only place on earth to buy electronics.

[QUOTE=N. Abstentia]Not sure how much of a 'steal' that was, I see them normally going for $250-$300 so $310 is normal price.

Pray tell you show me where a very good Denon 3801 with remote is going for $250-$300. If you check the prices on Ebay under completed items you'll find they sold for between $350- $425 plus shipping with most of them going to the higher range.

If you know of some site where you can get these cheaper as you are stating- we are not talking about broken Denon 3801 receivers but ones that are in very good condition with a remote, for the range you quote please let the board know. I will then proclaim you as my
Audio God!

N. Abstentia
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Maybe those people aren't as stupid as you think, and they know that $310 is too much to pay for such an old reciever...which is why you weren't outbid.

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Maybe those people aren't as stupid as you think, and they know that $310 is too much to pay for such an old reciever...which is why you weren't outbid.

First off your link wasn't to an auction site but to someone who posted something up on a board with no background (ie feedback history etc.) selling a denon 3801 in good condition that doesn't include a remote and instruction book.

That and 50 cents will get you on a subway. Dude, I really don't know what your problem is but you sometimes open your mouth just to make people look bad without any support behind what you say.

In regards for the Denon 3801 being old worthless etc., keep dreaming.

I'm not even going to get into a debate on this. I don't understand how this board deteriorated so much in the past year.

N. Abstentia
06-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Actually a board like that can be better than Ebay because it's more of a community. Everybody knows everybody and generally people are more educated and mature. If you think Ebay is 100% safe I've got some beachfront property to sell you. Plus you never said it had to be an auction site, you just said that a 3801 has never been sold for $300 anywhere and you dared anyone to show you where it had been done before. There it is. What now?

Acutally that ad says pretty much in plain English "includes remote". Did you choose to miss that? The manual can be downloaded in about 1 minute.

I know ONE reason why this board has deteriorated in the past year. I remember 3 months ago you thought a $199 JVC receiver/DVD player/toaster was the best thing you had ever heard and nothing could touch it and anybody who said otherwise was (according to you) a freaking moron. Now look...you found a $299 receiver that's the best thing you've ever heard and nothing could possibly be any better. I'd hate to see you if you were to ever get a real high end reciever..or God forbid..seperates.

JSE
06-28-2005, 01:36 PM
First off your link wasn't to an auction site but to someone who posted something up on a board with no background (ie feedback history etc.) selling a denon 3801 in good condition that doesn't include a remote and instruction book.

That and 50 cents will get you on a subway. Dude, I really don't know what your problem is but you sometimes open your mouth just to make people look bad without any support behind what you say.

I'm not even going to get into a debate on this. I don't understand how this board deteriorated so much in the past year.

Your an idiot!

markw
06-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm not even going to get into a debate on this. I don't understand how this board deteriorated so much in the past year.Isn't that just about when you started posting under your Hershon moniker?

GMichael
06-28-2005, 01:44 PM

past year?
huh?
Time warp?

EdwardGein
AR Regular
Registered Member

Peter_Klim
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi GMichael,

I use to live in OC too (Port Jervis). Ever visit LongPlayer in Goshen? They have some realy nice stuff!

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Your an idiot!

Apparently these people think its OK to launch personal direct attacks, and they're obviously
stupid as well- this person obviously hasn't gone to college and can't even think of an original rebuttal.

Anyway JSE I commend you for your total lack of intelligence.

:p :p :p :p

jasmit
06-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Edward (or whoever you are) - In my opinion, anyone who begins a thread with name-calling is asking for ridicule and is begging to be labled a troll or worse. If you want to pat yourself on the back for making what you consider to be a great deal, fine. You could've done that without denigrating others. But it appears that you are compelled to belittle someone in the process. You might consider some professional help!

mixadude
06-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Regardless of all the nonsense, there is the other side of the coin.

I wouldn't really want to go list my item for sale with an auctioneer that creates an artificially low price environment, I'd go where I thought I'd get the most I could get. Why would anybody do that??? :confused:

minye
06-28-2005, 07:00 PM
1. $310 for 3801 is not bad. Good deal, I would say. Congratulation!

2. Putting your highest offer that you are willing to spend at last minute so that the outbidded previous top bidder has no time to reponse and put higher offer, this, is already commonly used trick in Ebay nowadays. You won the auction maybe is just because you are lucky that no one else is more eager to buy the item or other bidder just want to " Steal More" than you.

3. There is $350 "buy it now" price for 3802 there for a while. You did get an about $40 cheaper deal, but don't be too excited and think other bidders are "xxxxx". Be nice. :-)

GMichael
06-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi GMichael,

I use to live in OC too (Port Jervis). Ever visit LongPlayer in Goshen? They have some realy nice stuff!

Hi Pete,
I haven't been to LongPlayer yet. But they are on my list. There's a place in potown that sells Sunfire amps and subs. Also a few places in Westchester County that sell maggies and other fun products. It's been a long time sense I was into stereo as much as I am becoming now. I have a lot of catching up to do. If I remember correctly, Carver was the big gun back then when it came to amps. I see the name Carver on the Sunfire line. Any relation?

Eric Z
06-28-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm sure the 3801 was at least a decent deal- I'm glad you're happy- isn't that's why we are all interested in this HT hobby, to make ourselves happy? I certainly hope so, however, I see some people get a thrill by trying to be better than others. To each their own. This is definitely not the place to launch attacks on each other. It's sorta funny because if you react emotionally to an attack (like a lot of people did here), you're falling right into the posters plan. I feel people like Hershon/Edward/Hershon/Edward or his brother with the exact same equipment (that personality I think is my favorite), just get a kick out of pushing all of our buttons- people like attention and they'll do anything to get it.

I went to the Cubs/Sox series here in Chicago this past weekend and the Sox fans acted similarly to Edward/Hershon- instead of routing for their own team and being proud they have the best record in baseball, they cut down the Cubs and their mediocre .500 record.

Hershon/EG- Just be happy about your equipment. I think you owe a lot to this board- NA said it perfectly when he said you went from a $199 receiver/toaster (good one by the way- made me laugh out loud) that you thought was the best to a better 3801.

I'm sorry to hear that this board isn't as enjoyable for everyone as it used to be- I know for a fact that many people helped me with my questions and issues- I definitely learned a lot this past year or so.

Regardless, I like to laugh at some of the interesting people here. Sometimes I wonder what type of work everyone does because for some I have no idea how you make a living.

bjornb17
06-28-2005, 08:29 PM
past year?
huh?
Time warp?

EdwardGein
AR Regular
Registered Member

BAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA......

okay im done.

that was great!

Jim Clark
06-28-2005, 08:49 PM
I can't possibly imagine who would voluntarily give you 60.00 for that piece of crap remote. Sorry but even the staunchest of Denon fans will agree with that. I guess people lose them/break them and in order to gain functionality may need a replacement. It certainly isn't worth anywhere near 60 bucks though.

jc

Peter_Klim
06-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi Pete,
I haven't been to LongPlayer yet. But they are on my list. There's a place in potown that sells Sunfire amps and subs. Also a few places in Westchester County that sell maggies and other fun products. It's been a long time sense I was into stereo as much as I am becoming now. I have a lot of catching up to do. If I remember correctly, Carver was the big gun back then when it came to amps. I see the name Carver on the Sunfire line. Any relation?

I was there only once, way back in the late 80s. That's where I 1st heard Martin Logans, then somewhere else here in NJ 2 years back - then I picked up a used pair that same year. It's a real nice store (at least when I was there).

Yes, Sunfire is designed by Bob Carver. But I think here in the US, the only Carver brand stuff is DJ or professional gear (not really sure....yes they are, just did a quick search). They are also a division of Phoenix Gold (high end car audio) - I have some of their amps.

http://www.carverpro.com/

EdwardGein
06-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Edward (or whoever you are) - In my opinion, anyone who begins a thread with name-calling is asking for ridicule and is begging to be labled a troll or worse. If you want to pat yourself on the back for making what you consider to be a great deal, fine. You could've done that without denigrating others. But it appears that you are compelled to belittle someone in the process. You might consider some professional help!

The world needs more self righteous types like you. I've seen the light. In your vast wisdom can you please point out who on this board I specifically denigrated (your words). On the other hand, I see denigrated words specifically directed at me. But in your self righteous world
"I am the person who needs professional help" and these other people are contributing members of society. Look in the mirror hypocrite. Grow up and get a life.

GMichael
06-29-2005, 05:06 AM
I was there only once, way back in the late 80s. That's where I 1st heard Martin Logans, then somewhere else here in NJ 2 years back - then I picked up a used pair that same year. It's a real nice store (at least when I was there).

Yes, Sunfire is designed by Bob Carver. But I think here in the US, the only Carver brand stuff is DJ or professional gear (not really sure....yes they are, just did a quick search). They are also a division of Phoenix Gold (high end car audio) - I have some of their amps.

http://www.carverpro.com/

Way cool. Thanks, I'll read up.

shokhead
06-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Some might be under rating this reciever. Seems i remember reading that its was a better reciever then the next year 3802. 3801 seems to have just about everything the new Denons have so it seems like a pretty good deal for under $400.

noddin0ff
06-29-2005, 06:14 AM
the horror...the horror...

JSE
06-29-2005, 08:02 AM
and can't even think of an original rebuttal.

Nope, just an appropriate rebuttal.

JSE

jasmit
06-29-2005, 07:51 PM
The world needs more self righteous types like you. I've seen the light. In your vast wisdom can you please point out who on this board I specifically denigrated (your words). On the other hand, I see denigrated words specifically directed at me. But in your self righteous world
"I am the person who needs professional help" and these other people are contributing members of society. Look in the mirror hypocrite. Grow up and get a life.

If you'll re-read my post, you'll see that I did not say that you denigrated anyone on this board. Your first post in this thread began by calling people idiots who didn't happen to bid like you. Again, if you think your bidding methodology was brilliant -- well, bully for you. But it was unnecessary to characterize everyone who is not as brilliant as you think you are as idiots. It was a gratuitous, troll-like comment that begged for the kind of replies that you got. Any subsequent criticism by forum members was brought on by yourself. It's like you are calling in artillery strikes on your own position and wondering why you are being bombarded.

EdwardGein
06-29-2005, 09:44 PM
If when I call a group of people that have nothing directly to do with this board, "idiots", if they are insulted by that then if the shoe fits wear it. Alot of you are a bunch of hypotcritical politically correct puzzys.

mixadude
06-29-2005, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't worry it about all that much folks. I know I'm often an idiot and I also know I'm also often right, frequently simultaneously, and so are you IMO. Get over it ;)