I'm starting a new job soon... same goal. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting a new job soon... same goal.

karl k
06-26-2005, 09:34 AM
After 17yrs at my future "former"employer, I finally decided to take the leap and try someone new. It was the hardest decision I've had to make but I still feel it was necissary. I started that job with the goal of learning new stuff about manufacturing in an effort to go somewhere else to make the "megabucks" but the pay got better and advancement potential was looking good so I decided to stay for awhile and try to make the place and the product better. I am an analyst by nature and am always looking for ways to increase efficiency of both the product and manufacturing process. I just can't stand to set back and watch someone kill themselves when there is an easier way. At the same time, I think it's wrong to build "planned obsolesence" or an inferior product. Unfortunately, some don't agree that change is a good thing or that change can/should come from the bottom of the ladder and there was my dilemma. Even when someone wants change, without formal certification or college background, it seems you aren't taken seriously when making suggestions. You would think that 17yrs would be enough to convince others that you know a little something about what you speak... I guess not. Engineers have this thing about having to know it all, owners have too many headaches already, and plant managers and foremans want nothing more than a worker(not a thinker)... as if your not suppose to have good ideas. Everybody, everywhere is protecting their own turf! I've been told SOOOO many times "you're not an engineer" or "you can't do it all"... AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!
I told them it would catch up with them someday, the idea that shipping something out the door that wasn't right would cost them, that continueous product developement was required to survive, that standard product lines must be maintained when doing custom, one time pieces. You can only say "I told you so" a number of times before noboby listens anymore, and it now appears that day has come.

All I wanted to do was help make the place more money, work less, and make everybody feel good about what they do. I guess that was asking too much.

I just got notice 2wks ago that the whole plant was going to 3 day work weeks and unemployment was going to be made available for the other 2 days. I was told that it would be for about 4wks until we closed on some sales(we've been told about these sales for atleast 6mths now). A far cry from the 10hr days and Saturdays of a couple yrs ago. We've had 2 management consultant firms come in to help out... the first we quit half way through because "we know more about it that they do" and the other is still there (at the request of the companies bank BTW) but isn't having much luck. Ironically, management has always blamed their problems on the labor and the consultants are maintaining that the labor is some of the best out there! Go figure! hahaha :p Our working capital comes from the bank in the form of loans, most of our vendors won't do busines with us until we pay ALL our bill with them, and last week we were overdrawn on our business account. Not looking good at all!

So after 2wks of doaling out resumes and conducting a couple interviews with the president of one company, I think I have a potential winner! :D Another small company, family built and apparently looking for change. They matched my current pay and suggested that if it worked out, it would be worth much more down the road. Of course, I'm a little apprehensive about what's been promised as far as description of the duties envolved but at least I feel better about the short term finances. The postition is/would be an extention of my current management/crew leaders experience and should payoff even if things don't work out long term. I'll get to experience building new things and ways of handling people as well as introduce change to increase efficiency of productivity. Right up my alley!

I've got to admit, I really like talking/negotiating with the "president" of a company for a job. You get a better feel for the actual goal of the company(instead of the politics) and it's nice to know that if you have a problem, you can't do any better than the person that hired you!!! I walked away with a VERY good feeling about this!

Now I've got to go in(on my day off) and break the bad news to my employer. It's going to be soooo hard! I won't burn any bridges just incase but how do you tell someone that has told you that you have a job till the day the doors close you no longer have confidence in their ability to keep those doors open? :confused: It will be interesting to say the least.

If you have some simular experiences, by all means post them and how it worked out!

Enough babble... going to enjoy the day!

Resident Loser
06-27-2005, 09:26 AM
...wthout the sheepskin, you ain't squat...all the OJT and experience in the world doesn't amount to a hill of beans...there's always some snot-nosed, ratbag punk who thinks they "know-it-all"...

I have nearly 36 years at my job and I seen 'em come and I've seen 'em go...their all gonna' re-invent the wheel...you can talk 'til your blue-in-the face...the best thing I can do is yes 'em to death and watch them fall flat on their faces...everyone knows the deal except for upper mgmt. who have their perks, stock options and princely severence or retirement packages...Luckily, I'm a dinosaur...nobody knows my job or what exactly it entails...things just get done, in spite of everything.

Sorry, I can only commiserate, as my next step will be retirement...hopefully the pension fund will still be solvent when I turn out the light and close the door one last time...If I need to supplement my income, my only work-related concern will be to ask "paper or plastic?"...

jimHJJ(...best of luck...)

piece-it pete
06-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Congrats, Karl!

Stress of a new job is supposed to be similar to a divorce. Have fun.

As a high schoool dropout I understand the lack of respect. I come from an engineering family, and deal with them at work daily. They are very literal people for the most part, that's for sure!

I had to leave my last employer when it became clear they were going under. There was more to it, though - they didn't pay their bills unless they had to. At one point I had 6 weeks worth of high margin orders in my hand and my guys were sweeping floors!

Arrrgh. And the sad thing is, I believed them when they said it was because of their acquision of my company - a small place I had worked for for 13 years - and convinced my suppliers of it! Arrrgh again.

But the owner was a very convincing guy (who made me manager and gave me a big raise). When I told him I was giving notice, he said "why didn't you come to me" (about the money). I told him it was more than money, which it certainly was. I took the class "How to run a successful company into the ground in less than a year" - the company I practically ran for 10 years - it's a depressing class!

I never lost sleep over it and wouldn't worry about it. If your current boss is a decent guy he'll understand 100%. If not, well it doesn't matter anyway.

I met three times with my current companies' CEO and COO (both owners) before I came on board, you're right it is GREAT, and I still report to them. It's a mid-size company that just recently got that way, so there's still a great deal of personal responsibility, it's a wonderful thing.

Quality. Well, it's always a nice thing. My company sells many different grades of various products. Some only shop price, and I'll sell them that way, but will tell them exactly what they're getting for it. Lead times too - sometimes they don't like what I'm saying but I don't lie about it, I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. If I say it'll ship friday and they've got 50 union guys on site monday it better be there!

Good luck again!

Pete

piece-it pete
06-27-2005, 09:56 AM
If I need to supplement my income, my only work-related concern will be to ask "paper or plastic?"...

lol Jim that's good!

Lucky to be close to retirement - I think by the time I get there it'll be, 75, 80?

Pete

mystic
06-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Karl, I don't believe an employer has a right to hold it against you for taking a job with a better future. You are doing the right thing by trying to part on good terms. Good luck on the new job.

JohnMichael
06-27-2005, 10:06 AM
In October of 2004 I was fired after 15 years at the local hospital. Started in patient care and moved into management. All of a sudden a new VP, 28 and fresh out of school with a masters and no experience. All of a sudden I knew nothing. Not only did I not know anything what I had been doing was wrong. So it was a relief to me to be fired and I fell into a sweet job. Now my old departments have very high turnover and the hopital is having major problems with hospital acquired infections. Huh, maybe I did know something after all. Don't let them get you down.

karl k
06-27-2005, 10:47 AM
It was a helluva thing! there were a few tears and a few requests for rememberence but it went pretty smooth. The owner(bwahahaha) didn't like my lack of confidence and asked if I wanted to bet on it! I explained to him that I have been betting on it and that betting my JOB was as big a gamble I was willing to take! :D The rest understood and wished me well and asked me to remember my friends if I need more help(they are looking as well).

I truely don't think the management understands what's about to happen. :confused: They could very well loose 1/2 or more of the labor in the next 30 days or less and myself leaving is going to convince many others to do the same. I know it sounds like I'm tooting here, but trust me, I'm not. Their loss now.

They decided not to make me work this week so I will start immediately. The prez herself will line me out tomorrow morning and there you have it! :)

I did convey to my former employer that 6mths is a critical time and they may see me again then if I'm having grief. I also asked if one of the employees is having a party at the local bar, that I be invited.(he's interviewing today BTW)

piece-it pete
06-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Good for you man, hope it works out for you!

If you don't mind, what do you do?

Pete

karl k
07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Good for you man, hope it works out for you!

If you don't mind, what do you do?

Pete

Been kinda busy as you can imagine!

Here's a link to my former jobs site...

http://www.contech-usa.com/ContechProducts.aspx?category=SheeterStackerSlitte rRewinderSystems

On this page, I was in charge of or had a substantial hand in the manufacture and operational success of 10 out of the 16 pieces on this page as well as others elsewhere on the site. As far as a description of what I do, here's a copy of the resume I sent out...(of course I deleted all personal info for security reasons ;) )

Custom Manufacturing/Mechanic/Maintainance

EMPLOYMENT OBJECTIVE
As an employee, to further my knowledge of accepted manufacturing practices, to refine personal skills, work skills, and social skills. To contribute in a positive manner so as to profit both the company and myself, and to support and introduce sensible changes for greater efficiency and productivity.

EDUCATION
H.S. Diploma, Math/Art - 1984
Campus High School, Haysville, Ks

Required courses, Algebra I, II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Analytical Geometry, Physics

SKILLS
* Project Planning and Execution, Productivity/Efficiency Analysis
* Problem Solving, Crisis Management
* Exceptional Mechanical Aptitude, Feasibility Analysis
* Communication/Negotiation, Perfectionism
* Information Acquisition, Easily Trainable

EXPERIENCE
Crew Leader/Skilled Labor - 1988 - Present
Converting Technologies,
1756 S 151st W
Goddard, Ks

Having started at the ground level, I performed nearly all aspects of the manufacturing and shipping of standard and custom converting equipment including Laminators, Roll to Roll and Roll to Sheet Converters, Heat Vacuum Applicators, Thermal Die Cutters, and Product Stackers. Equipment was either stand alone or integrated as part of customers existing line. Specifically, my tasks included cutting raw material, structural frame welding using MIG and TIG welders on mild steel, aluminum, and stainless, sheetmetal fabrication using both manual and powered shears and breaks, fabrication of machined parts using conventional 3 axis mill and lathe, as well as assembling vendor parts into frame, assembling electric controls and field wiring, assembling hydraulic power units including welding tank assembly and fabrication of hard lines and hoses, designing and assembling pneumatic system, painting, and lastly shipping using a variety of fork lifts.

It is worth noting that in addition to the tasks expected of myself, it was frequently asked of me on a voluntary basis to design(w/o engineering participation), fabricate and install misc. brackets, guarding, and assemblies in the final stages of a project as well as troubleshoot any malfunction or shortcomings of the operation of the equipment.

Managerial tasks included 10 yrs of close working association with engineering, sales and purchasing departments, correlating efforts in the production of standard and custom Roll to Sheet Converters(Sheeters) and Stackers, increasing production efficiency through the introduction of a variety of jigs, fixtures, and templates as well as fine tuning the manufacturing process, inventory of machine parts, scheduling of overtime hours, employee task management, employee training, and quality control.

From 1994-1996, I was in charge of operations on 2nd shift with a crew of 3-6 employees with a key and security code to the shop that I have to this day.

AREAS OF INTEREST
I do all my own work on all my own vehicles as well as some others belonging to friends and acquaintances. This includes complete stock and performance rebuilds of 4-6-8 cyl gas engines, 3-4-5sp manual transmissions, conventional and positrac differencials, suspension and brake replacement. Currently I'm in the process of building, from scratch, a replica of a popular sports car.

Additionally, I do all repairs on my own home with conventional power tools.

PERSONAL STATEMENT
As you can tell, I am a hands on kinda guy! I enjoy creating something from nothing as well as fixing what others can't. I enjoy a good challenge and don't like to quit till I get it right. I like helping people and seeing the smile on their face when I succeed. I like being "the man" but also understand that I can't be that all the time. I believe liking ones work is and should be the most important thing when looking for a job. Of course, money is a strong second... ya gotta live somehow!