a good deck for $5-600 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : a good deck for $5-600

illwill
01-02-2004, 09:40 PM
i've started looking for a good turntable for around $500. i could probably stretch further if it would be an incredible difference, or i figure i can look at somewhat more expensive ones if i buy used. i am most interested in how they play jazz and classical, though i will probably listen to 60s and 70s rock as well.

so far i have auditioned:

-rega p2: thought it sounded ok.... found it really hard to cue, i kind of wondered if there was something wrong with the anti-skating on the unit i listened to.

-rega p3: again.. liked the sound, better than the p2, but a little pricey.

-pro/ject rm4: so far my favorite.. i thought it sounded quite good, easier to cue than the regas, and i feel like the clamp made a noticeable difference, especially on one of my test discs which is slightly warped. i also liked that the pro/ject had rca jacks on the back instead of fixed interconnects like the regas.

probably tomorrow or the day after i will audition the musichall mmf 5. i don't have any other auditions planned yet, since that will exhaust the stores in my immediate area. if you can comment on any of these tables or reccomend anything else i should be looking at, that would be great. associated equipment is:

arcam alpha 8r integrated
-linn k20 speaker wire with audioquest terminations
jm labs chorus 715s
(other source is an arcam cd62t)

thanks very much for your help
-will

jbangelfish
01-03-2004, 09:05 AM
From what I've read about them, they appear to be quite a bargain for a new turntable. You should also be able to upgrade the cartridge for alittle extra. I'd get the best one that you can swing from the get go and I think you'd be much happier with the turntable.
Bill

Jimmy C
01-04-2004, 06:54 AM
...is a very "musical" rig, warm and rich... I don't think you can go wrong.

Also, there is the Sota Moonbeam package from HCMaudio.com. I have not heard this particular combo (Moonbeam/Gold), but this also looks like good deal considering the Sota/Grado reputation.

Another idea, happy hunting!

DMK
01-04-2004, 07:52 AM
I prefer the Sota combo mentioned below. It's an $800 setup available for much less at HCM Audio. I've not heard the RM4 but it's received good reviews and, since you like it, you can't go wrong! I would also audition the Music Hall as I believe it also comes with a clamp. You can purchase a Sota I-Clamp pretty cheaply as well.

Happy hunting!

maxg
01-26-2004, 04:24 AM
RPM 4 definitely a good buy. I have owned one for 3 years and love it. It is also very upgradable and that 9 arm that comes as standard with it is as good as any you will find at this end of the price range.