Mr. and Mrs. Smith (few spoilers) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mr. and Mrs. Smith (few spoilers)

Kam
06-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Well i just read RGA's review of Land of the Dead... and just fyi, this review will suck in comparison.

That being said, finally saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith, after all the hoopla and mixed reviews that I had read and heard about. I went in to the movie with fairly low expectations and my suspension of disbelief set at a VERY low level. With those parameters, i really enjoyed the movie. Not sure if it was my frame of mind (which can definitely make a bad movie good (Conan the Destroyer - i STILL say it's so bad its good worfster!!!)) but i liked it.

The premise is fun enough, and carries throughout the whole movie as the two discover each other is an assassin and how its all analagous to their married life, and it plays up on all the cliche's of every 'ordinary' couple that even two assassins would have to face (Best part of this was the "numbers" game, done brilliantly well). the two have some really funny moments and play it extremely well. always hate it when somone plays a laugh for the laugh, rather than play it straight.

It is a little slow to start off as they take just a bit too much time establishing the mundan-ness of their married life. But once that kicks in, the second act of them trying to kill each other and the (brief) third act of them teaming up to stay alive are both very fast paced and the action is ridiculously over the top, but fun to watch. Their constant bickering is awesome as they play with each other like cat and mouse throughout the movie.

Vince Vaughn was great in his supporting role but then thrown away at the end. The ending action sequence is fun and WAY over the top ridiculous, they treat these two pretty much like superheroes with what they get away with, which is fine, given their introductions and how 'amazing' they are made out to be. but then the ending is a little abrupt without as much explanation as one would want, or at least that i wanted, especially when they would have had a great 'out' by bringing vince vaughn's character back in to tie together the story, which, unfortunately, they dont.

And.. maybe again it was the frame of mind, but no kamrant section to the movie at all, other than they really should have shown off angelina a leeeeetle bit more. :) when you have someone that ridiculously good looking, its a shame when you dont see more of them, although her fishnet and boots outfit is worth price of admission alone. :D

anywho, very enjoyable popcorn flick with good, funny moments and a nice little satire on married life. doug liman handles 'smart' (or relatively smart) action well (bourne identity).

peace
k2

Worf101
06-27-2005, 12:11 PM
It's on my short list of films to see this week while out of town. That and "Batman Begins". Not sure as to the wisdom of taking a date to a flick where the man and wife spend 80% of their time and enegy trying to "gut" one another... Might give the "not so little woman" bad ideas if'n you ketch my drift.

Da Worfster :cool:

topspeed
06-28-2005, 01:09 PM
I really enjoyed this movie as well. It's not mind altering or emotionally challenging. It's just a fun movie. The significant others get to drool over Brad and we get to slobber all over Angelina (does that chick have some gams or what?!). Jolie took over my top spot as most delicious actress a couple of years ago and this movie just solidified her stature. Halle sat on top for long time but Angelina has that whole "bad girl" vibe that I'm a sucker for.

Worf101
07-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Wow, finally a perfect movie a "chick flick" with enough explosions and gunplay to satisfy ANY red blodded man. Woot what a hoot and Ms Jolie made it real obvious to me why Ms. Aniston didn't stand a friggin chance. The heat just pops off the screen. Woooo Hooo this was fun and enough guns and weapons to give Ahnold a woodie. Great, great flick. Kinda slow to start as we watch thier marriage disolve but once they find out who the other REALLY is..... man watch the fur fly. Gives whole new meaning to the term Domestic Disturbance....

Da Worfster

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Eh, Halle is still up there in the hottie chick department, but Angelina makes me speak perfect spanish, and I aint goin to tell you what I say!!! I just want her to say "tooooooo" to me with those beautiful suction cups she has for lips!!

Worf101
07-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Eh, Halle is still up there in the hottie chick department, but Angelina makes me speak perfect spanish, and I aint goin to tell you what I say!!! I just want her to say "tooooooo" to me with those beautiful suction cups she has for lips!!

"Suction cup lips" LOL.. man you just ain't a lyin there. They're not "perfect" one's a leetle crooked and slightly smaller than the other but dayum do they look kissable, smoochable, suckable etc... you catch my drift. I better shut up for I get banned from this site for "excessive sexual references".

Da Worfster :p