Entry-level phono pre-amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Entry-level phono pre-amp

themayor
06-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking of picking up an old Technics TT to hook up to my Marantz receiver and Paradigm speakers. So I was looking for suggestions for a pre-amp, something that will match the level of my current setup. I'm realistic in knowing that I won't reap the benefits of a $500 pre-amp. Are the $30-$50 models OK? I would like to just dip my feet into the LP world and will worry about diving in deeper at a later time.

Thanks.
Tim

royphil345
06-25-2005, 10:00 PM
I've owned one of these. http://www.audioreplay.net/TC750eb.html Think it's a bargain at that price. Have seen the exact same unit with different brand names on it (Rec-O-Kut is one I remember) for around $80.00. Sounded 90% as good as the Rotel RQ-970BX I have now. Maybe just a little audible hum if you turn the volume WAY up with nothing playing. Not quite as smooth, but no ear bleeds either. One of the very few phono stages under $50.00 I'd recommend. Most in that price range are noisy and / or have inaccurate frequency response. Beware of a phono stage that doesn't have the specs listed for RIAA accuracy. (a phono stage also applies EQ to match the RIAA curve) This one is + - .5db which is equal to some more expensive phono stages.

I'm very, very seriously considering selling the Rotel and trying one of those Bottlehead Seduction tubed phono stage kits. ($300.00) The Rotel cost me $200.00 a few years ago. I'd take $100.00 for it. More than you're looking to spend, but sounds really nice (a little on the warm side), runs dead quiet and can even be used with a moving coil cartridge. So if getting a great deal on something a little nicer might interest you, drop me a line. Hard to find good used gear at 50% off the new price these days. But it just seems fair to me. Never seem to have problems selling my old gear when it's time to upgrade!!!

Roy
royphil345@yahoo.com

hifitommy
06-26-2005, 05:45 PM
i dont acutally have hands on experience with these but it seems that for the bux, the 760 is i good bet. had i no phono pres (i have a few) in my collection, i would opt for one of these or the 750 with no mc capability for a little less.

http://www.audioreplay.net/indexg.html

themayor
06-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Thank you very much guys for the recommendations. The TC-750/760 looks like just the right solution for me.

Roy, I really appreciate the offer on the Rotel. I have no doubt that it's a great deal, but for now I think I'll try to keep my budget in check until I know for sure I'll get good use out of this stuff.

Thanks again.
Tim

royphil345
06-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I understand that. Had a TC-750 myself and really liked it. Only reason I really upgraded is that the price was low and I wasn't really sure if I could be getting much better performance from something else. Just didn't trust it. Like I said, turned out the Rotel has a dead-quiet background and slightly warmer character, but there wasn't as big a difference in sound as I expected. Actually, with the warmer Shure cartridge I'm using now, I sometimes wonder how the TC-750 would have sounded if I held onto it.

If I decide to try the Bottlehead, I should be able to get at least $100.00 for the Rotel on eBay. Just thought since you were thinking about buying a phono stage and I was thinking of selling one...:)

squeegy200
06-27-2005, 06:10 AM
I'm thinking of picking up an old Technics TT to hook up to my Marantz receiver and Paradigm speakers. So I was looking for suggestions for a pre-amp, something that will match the level of my current setup. I'm realistic in knowing that I won't reap the benefits of a $500 pre-amp. Are the $30-$50 models OK? I would like to just dip my feet into the LP world and will worry about diving in deeper at a later time.

Thanks.
Tim

Before I could afford my current Phono-pre, I purchased a B-tech BT926 which is a moving magnet phone preamp. It was surprisingly pleasant and compared well against a well regarded PhonoPre I used to own--The NAD PP-1

$70 at the Needledoctor

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.401/it.A/id.2254/.f