sub question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sub question

marrman
06-25-2005, 02:12 PM
will a Velodyne dps 12 compare to a paradigm ps1000 ????
Thanks to who reply.

PAT.P
06-25-2005, 09:29 PM
will a Velodyne dps 12 compare to a paradigm ps1000 ????
Thanks to who reply.
Just read te review more feedback on Paradigm.I own a PS 1000 and its great.More powerfull than Velodyne and the low- frequency on paradigm is better.Pat.P

Florian
06-26-2005, 02:27 AM
I dont know the dps 12 but the Servo Controlled HGS and DD series is better than the paradigms in my opinion. The paradigm sw1000 is great sub, but the servos have more undistorted output and better control.

.Flo

kexodusc
06-26-2005, 02:47 AM
The paradigm sw1000 is great sub, but the servos have more undistorted output and better control.

This is true, but put it in perspective...the lower distortion and control only reveal themselves at the highest output levels...and more and more woofers are being made with longer excursions and bigger voice coils these days, nullifying a lot of the servo benefits. If you buy a sub that you won't ever crank near it's limits, it'll play distortion free and maintain control just fine.
I think this might be why servo's never really took off, cost/benefit is just not there for most people. That's too bad, if they ever started mass producing servo tech subs, I'm sure they could have been cheap enough for everyone.

Florian
06-26-2005, 02:51 AM
Well we are properbly talking about small things now, but if you ever get the chance to listen to the servo controlled Infinity IRS-Beta, Genesis II or big Velodynes its hard to go back ;-) unless you have a big panel hehehe..... I think if you can find a used Velodyne HGS 10, 12 its better than the Paradigm. But then again, what is the price of the paradigm?

-Flo

kexodusc
06-26-2005, 03:03 AM
I think those Paradigms are only $500-$600 or so.
I've heard those nasty Velodynes, and even Paradigm has a great Servo sub. In the last few years though subwoofers have progressed more than any other are in audio though IMO, even digital processing. Check out some of Adire Audio's subs for example, the things they do with XBL^2 technology will make you wonder why you ever thought about servo tech in the first place.
If you want 120 dB of clean bass, you're probably still stuck with servo subs but even my sub will play 110 dB clean within it's linear control limits...better ones will hit 115 dB or higher.

If you see a servo sub, it's usually got a great woofer on it because of the high cost, so you have to compare apples to apples. I think a lot of the benefits in these subs get attributed to servo tech only, and ignore the the fact that they're just high quality units througout.

Spend $3000 on a servo sub and conventional sub and I bet things would be interesting.

Florian
06-26-2005, 03:12 AM
Properbly, I have a VMPS Larger subwoofer here that does has no servo but does 17Hz at 120db with no hearable distortion. I use him on the RM30's, but he is quite a lot too. I heard severla paradigms, but never found them to be my cup of tea. If the suboower is only around 600 than this cancels out the velodynes etc.. anyway. How about those HSU subs?

-Flo

kexodusc
06-26-2005, 03:36 AM
Nice, VMPS makes a really nice speaker, hard to find in North America, especially in Canada.
I had an HSU VTF-2 for awhile in my home theater..good little unit for the money, I later upgraded to a Paradigm PW-2200 ($800) or so that was a good step up for a bit more money. It tended to be really boomy at a few frequencies, especially around the port frequency, but I suspect for many family home theaters it would be enough.
For music it was pretty mediocre, so I sold it and build my own 15" sealed unit. Far superior - with a 15" sealed unit you can get the low extension you want for HT and not sacrifice the musical ability. I'm going to add another shortly once I finish building my parents their new HT system and my syster her first stereo (she's off to college, and her boyfriend has a crappy Sony/Cerwin-Vega system, I figure some nice Peerless and Morel drivers in a 40 L box with my old NAD 3020 will squash those.)

Florian
06-26-2005, 03:57 AM
Well its not exactly hard to kill a Sony/Cerwin Wega system :p
Check out the Rega Vulcan too if you can find one. Very very small and very good in quality. I have a Focal JMLab SW700 here too which is quite decent for the money. Sorta critical to placment tough. Gosh i have too much stuff here LOL

kexodusc
06-26-2005, 05:10 AM
Well its not exactly hard to kill a Sony/Cerwin Wega system :p
No, but I'm working on a speaker budget of $180 to make it a challenge. The amp is one of several I have that are just occupying space without being used. I have the Peerless drivers in another speaker design already with some North Creek tweeters...I've compared these directly to the Dynaudio Audience 52's, and Revel M20's. I'd take the Revel's over them for sure, but I'm hoping the new tweeter smooths things out and makes it a bit closer...Not bad for under $200 though.

Florian
06-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Well i cant help ya on the 200$ question, since i have absolutly no idea what to look for in that area. I had the NAD 320 too, and found it quite ok. Unfortunalty it clipped horribly on the small maggies. Still good tough.

-Flo