trivial question - maybe outdated regarding amplifier [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : trivial question - maybe outdated regarding amplifier

ourcookie
06-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi, I have an old Onkyo dolby pro-logic amp. I recently re-set up my new home with a 5-speakers setup (2 front, 1 center, and 2 rear). Is it major improvement in terms of home theatre experience if I upgrade my amp to a dolby 5.1? Since most movies are in the 5.1 format, I am starting to wonder if my pro-logic amp can fully interpret the signals fully or is it missing a lot of good signals?

thanks

markw
06-25-2005, 12:57 AM
With the cost of modern DD/DTS receivers, to deny yourself this pleasure is foolish.

kexodusc
06-25-2005, 04:00 AM
With the cost of modern DD/DTS receivers, to deny yourself this pleasure is foolish.

I'll second that, in fact I'd say for movies it'll make a bigger sound improvement than the jump from 1 to 2 speakers. There's no real comparison between pro-logic and Dolby Digital/DTS. Far better sound quality. This is probably one of the absolute largest upgrades you could ever make in home theater.
Get a subwoofer too and you're set.

drseid
06-25-2005, 04:29 AM
I'll join the other responders in saying an upgrade is *definitely* worth it. The difference in sound is extremely noticeable on most (if not all) material.

---Dave