Canton speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Canton speakers

bupton
06-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Hello, I am in the military and stationed here in Germany. I have run accross what seems to be a fabulous deal on purchasing some new Canton speakers and I was wondering what, if any, input I can get on them. The kit that I am looking at includes a pair of Ergo 1002s, a pair of Ergo 702s and a single Ergo CM 502. The kit itself is selling for a ridiculously low price, approximately 1800 USD with the current exchange rate, and are all brand new. Does anyone here have any experience with these speakers, or Cantons in general? I have been listening to as many different systems as I can find over here and these just seem to stand out; sound great and did I mention the price?? Anyhow, thanks for any input you can provide...

PAT.P
06-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Hello, I am in the military and stationed here in Germany. I have run accross what seems to be a fabulous deal on purchasing some new Canton speakers and I was wondering what, if any, input I can get on them. The kit that I am looking at includes a pair of Ergo 1002s, a pair of Ergo 702s and a single Ergo CM 502. The kit itself is selling for a ridiculously low price, approximately 1800 USD with the current exchange rate, and are all brand new. Does anyone here have any experience with these speakers, or Cantons in general? I have been listening to as many different systems as I can find over here and these just seem to stand out; sound great and did I mention the price?? Anyhow, thanks for any input you can provide...
bupton Hello from Canada here a link for the Canton Ergo www.audiorevolution.com/news/1003/17.canton.shtml hope it help Pat.P

MikeyBC
06-25-2005, 06:49 AM
The Cantons are very good German speakers and have been around for years. the 702's apparenty retail for 1800 by themselves. i'd jump on them if you like the sound.

Peter Duminy
06-25-2005, 07:00 AM
Canton have a very enviable repututation for excellent quality. Review for this system here:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/canton_ergo.htm

Good luck! ;)

Florian
06-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Yep, Canton is very good for the money. Build like a german car too <.. warning i might be biased since i am german :-)

PS: Were are you, maybe you can drop by and listen to the Scintilla and RM30 :-)

-Flo

bupton
06-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Yep, Canton is very good for the money. Build like a german car too <.. warning i might be biased since i am german :-)

PS: Were are you, maybe you can drop by and listen to the Scintilla and RM30 :-)

-Flo

No worries there, I must admit to being a bit partial to Deutsche Technik as well. And I am afraid that Bayern is a bit too far for me, I am in Rheinland Pfalz...

bupton
07-23-2005, 01:38 AM
Ok, I know it has been a while since I first put my question out there, and that not many people replied to it, but I just wanted to post an update. I got the Ergos a week ago and WOW!!! They are absolutely amazing in my listening room! The low end is so clean it is amazing! The Klipsch Reference set up that these replace was a bit faster in response, and a LOT more efficient, but these just sound so much more natural. I know that many people use the term "laid back" to describe several European speaker systems, and this can easily be said about these Cantons but it is a marked improvement over the in your face sound that I had from my Klipsch. And to think, I loved those speakers for a very long time. Oh well, I guess tastes, and ears, change in time. Any way, if anyone out there is ever considering a set of these speakers, and has the chance to audition them, I would definently advise you do it! Especially if you have the chance to get them over here in Germany, where they cost a quarter the price as they do in the states.

matt39
07-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Congratulations on your new speakers and thanks for the info. Always glad to hear about unfamiliar brands that are a good value. Enjoy your new speaks and you're absolutely right--
tastes do change.

Gary

Florian
07-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Gratulations my friend you made a good choice. You should still come on over by train ;-)
I got my new speakers too, you can check them out here in the same "speakers" section.

-Flo

PS: What electronics are you using with them?

Willy S
07-23-2005, 01:36 PM
I have noticed that Canton is not expensive in relation to their size. However, I don´t know how they sound compared to the competition.

What Cantons do you think are best for classical music?

bupton
07-23-2005, 11:08 PM
I have noticed that Canton is not expensive in relation to their size. However, I don´t know how they sound compared to the competition.

What Cantons do you think are best for classical music?

Alot of that depends on what classical you are listening too, but I would probably say either the Vento or the Ergo series. The Karats are nice, but sound a bit "tinny" to my ears in comparisson. The ones that I bought are the Ergos, and they sound wonderful! The base is strong and low as well as being quite subtle. It is not boomy at all, and could almost be described as sounding a bit understated which is odd when you consider that these have two nine inch woofers in a ported enclosure. It almost sounds as if one of them would be a passive radiator and and they reside in an acoustic suspension cabinet. But all the same, these are a significant step up from my older Klipsch with the exception that it takes a bit more power to drive them.

bupton
07-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Gratulations my friend you made a good choice. You should still come on over by train ;-)
I got my new speakers too, you can check them out here in the same "speakers" section.

-Flo

PS: What electronics are you using with them?

Flo, Right now I am running these through a Yamaha RV-X2500 amp and a Denon 2910 dvd set up. I bought these speakers at my local Saturn and they were trying to sell me a Cayin tube amp as well, and while it did sound so good with these Ergos that it almost made me cry, I was having minor heart palpatations at the idea of shelling out 3300 euro for a two channel amp right now. Who knows, maybe when I get back from Afrika I will, but right now I am trying to build up my HT system... Now I just need to hurry up and decide what sub I want to buy. Do you know of any retailers here in Germany that deal with SVS, or anything comparable to them? I was looking at a few different subs down here near me, but I cannot find anything with a switching power supply, and I might have the disfortune of having to move back to the states in a few years, so do not want to be tied to a box/amplifier that will only run on 230v...